Campral Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campral Question

I have been prescribed Campral, but haven't been able to abstain from AL for the recommended 3 days to begin the med. If I don't drink tonight, can I start it tomorrow, regardless of my 5 drinks last night?

Thanks for responding.
    "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Campral Question

Juja,
    When I took campral, I started the first day of abstinence. Made me feel quite nauseous for a couple of days but I get the feeling that was from de-toxing from the alcohol.

Just try and remember to keep up with the fluids, eat little and often and plenty of rest. Easier said than done I know as we all live such busy lives but it's only for a few days.

It will be worth all the carry on in the end.

J x
    :l
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Campral Question

HI Juju,

Congrats on giving Campral a try, I think it is one of the most underrated drugs ever. I have used it with great success.

My doctor told me to take it through relapses etc, so I don't see any problem with starting it whenever you want. I might give you a bit of a tummy upset at first but its nothing serious.

Give Campral a good try, again my doc told me you have to take it for three months before you can conclude that it will not work for you. People give up on it quite early because its effects are invisible and you can really only see them in retrospect. For example last year I abstained for 6 months while on campral, and had thought that drug wasn't really playing that big a role and i quit taking it. Sure enough, I was drinking again within 10 days.

I've started taking it again this year and I have been successfully abstaining where otherwise it was impossible.

Best of luck.
      The most exhausting thing in life is being insincere.

Comment

Campral Question

Thank you, thank you, JC and EOL. I'm feeling more and more encouraged, and positive.
        "Remember, you are responsible for creating your life by every thought, action, choice. Choose well." Oprah Winfrey

Comment

Campral Question

just started too

I started campral 7 days ago...have not had a drink. Yes, you can start it the next day after drinking. I found (for me) it worked right away, but some say it takes 5 days to reach peak level. Also had headaches, but they left after a week also. Go for it!

Comment

Campral Question

campral question

I am 10 days sober after 40 years of hard drinking. I convinced my doctor to give me campral. She was new to the drug and has me on one pill three times a day to increase as necessary. I weight 165 and am 5'3". It seems to kind of work. I feel good (not at first) but now no side effects, but think about booze quite a bit. No physical indications of doing without alcohol though. Should I be taking more of this stuff? New to the site as of yesterday.

Comment

Campral Question

Juja, I started the Campral eight days ago (March 2.) I drank the first day. Then I really felt no need to drink....for a chronic, daily black-out drinker this was very strange to me.
              On Thursday the 9th I forgot to take it to work, missed my midday dose and stopped at the liquor store on the way home.
              Last night I worked an exceptionally long day, and by 7 pm the cravings were strong, but I didn't cave in...it was close, though. Based on my experience so far I think it's very important to take it on schedule.

My psychiatrist said it's not harmful to drink while on it, but drinking on Campral is obviously not helpful. He said it was unnecessary to wait the three days. I picked up my prescription last Saturday and did not drink that day.

So far it's amazing for me.

Best of luck with it! You too, moody odie.

Comment

Campral Question

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I started the Campral today, and other than feeling stoned and tired, I've had no ill SE. I am very relieved.

I haven't had any cravings for wine, either, but we'll see what happens as the week progresses. I'm only on Day 2 AF, but hopeful. I will definitely take in on schedule, and not miss a dose.

Oh, anyone hungry? I'm thinking the Campral is making me want to eat. Crap.

Comment

Campral Question

I can't tell whether I'm hungrier because of the Campral, or because my body feels deprived of the sugar that alcohol was providing!

I suspect it's the latter. Every time I quite drinking, even for a day or two, I crave carbs and sugar. That's common when quitting alcohol.

Comment

Campral Question

Hey Juja - I've been meaning to comment on this thread.

My first quit I used Campral and to be honest I'm not sure if it helped with the cravings because I was so sick and determined not to drink I would have done anything to stop. I took Campral for about 18mths and I never struggled with cravings and I slept like the dead whilst I was on it. I did have a bit of brain fog and at first found it hard at work but that eventually subsided. It really helped me to know that I had this little bit of support.

A long while back I decided I could moderate but that (of course) ended in epic disaster! I went back on Campral and I'm sure it helped but this second quit was really hard. I drank on the odd occasion when I first went back on Campral but my sensible brain said that was just dumb and by the time it would have really kicked in I guess I was stronger in my resolve and it did the trick. It took the edge off - no doubt!!!

It isn't a magic bullet by any means, but it did help me I'm certain.

Best of luck honey bunny - you're on the right track!!!!
                    It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
                    Mother Theresa

Comment

Campral Question

Oh, I meant to add that don't worry too much about what you're eating in the early days of your quit. Just focus on one thing at a time!
                      It is not what we do, but how much love we put into the doing.
                      Mother Theresa

Comment

Campral Question

I'm so hungry!!!! I've only been on campral for 3 days, and I want to eat everything in sight.

I'm glad I re-read these posts. Maybe it's lack of AL, sugar cravings--whatever, but I hope this SE passes.

Oh, I sleep like a baby, but am having a problem with mental processing. Do you think that will pass?

Wonder of wonders, I have no cravings for AL.
                        Thanks

Comment

Campral Question

I'm with you on that one, Nicey.

nicelife;1475831 wrote: Oh, I meant to add that don't worry too much about what you're eating in the early days of your quit. Just focus on one thing at a time!
                          Just wanted to add I ate chocolate until it was coming out me ears. Hence my trips to Slimming World.
                          It will pass. You're body is craving all sorts of things. All I can recommend is buy a load of fruit and keep it close at hand. Drink a load of water before you eat. Make your dinner plate 2/3rd vegetables and 1/3rd lean meat. Freeze low fat yoghurts. They take an age to eat and a lot cheaper the frozen yoghurt you can buy.
                          It could be worse, I could be filing.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Campral Question

Thanks, JC. I'm already thinking about dinner, and it's only 3:45 p.m.:upset:

Comment

Campral Question

i read campral can cause weight gain,but its more likely the not drinking,i eat like a pig
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X