Finally! (My Baclofen Story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, this is really a continuation of my thread from here... My AWFUL Experience with Baclofen, So Far...

Well, after almost a year and a half, and givng up several times and trying again, I finally found the elusive fothermucking switch!

After my last post, last August, I began titrating back up, finally reaching 290mg in the beginning of December. At that point, I was like, "I don't get it... I still want to drink! And I can't take the horrendous side effects anymore!" I was twitching like an epileptic that night, and said, "I gotta get the hell off this stuff as quickly as possible."

I had read someone else's post that said he was able to drop about 100mg in one day, with no problem, and then stay there. well, I wasn't about to try that, but I cut back by 50 in one day. Then, another 40, down to 200, a few days later. I then, titrated down by 10 to 20 mg/day from there, paying very close attention to any signs of withdrawal.

I was able to come down to 0 by the end of December, with absolutely no issue. My biggest fear as I was titrating up, was getting up to a ridiculously high dose (north of 300), and then being stuck for weeks dealing with unbearable side effects, while having to SLOWLY back down if it became too much too bear. I felt the higher I went, the more risk exposure there was, if it would take me months to come off it if I needed to. Well, that fear was now squashed.

So, I took some time to let my body get back to "normal". By the beginning of February, I decided to give it one last shot. I had also read a bunch of posts, that were kind of a "DUH" moment for me. They said that baclofen will not make you not WANT to drink. Nothing will do that. Baclofen will make you not HAVE TO drink, and that many people blow right past their switch without realizing it. I thought... dumbass! You never actually TRIED to not drink. You were just waiting for something to miraculously MAKE you stop.

I had read another post (which I can't find now for the life of me) where someone said they titrated from 0 to like 280 in about 10 days. When asked how that was possible, he responded, "I dosed like a madman." And said that he jumped as much as 150mg in one day. And that's what finally did it. I thought, if he could do it, so can I. Well, I may be crazy, but I'm not completely stupid. I wasn't about to be THAT drastic, but I began going up by 20 mg day. I knew I couldn't spend a few more months trying to get back to a high enough dose to see if it would finally work for me. The drowsiness over an extended period would kill me in the process. I had to try and get back there as quickly as possible, and hopefully be able to titrate back down after not too long.

So, up I go, 20mg a day. The side effects kicked in brutal by 80mg (you thought they were bad going 20 mg a week!). I wasn't surprised, but I just sucked it up and powered through them. I was twitching like a madman. My wife actually said to me at one point, "I can actually see you twitching from the other room." I know, but I have to fight through it. At 180 mg, I had a brain fart, and suddenly managed to jump to about 240 the next day. Don't know what I was thinking. But, as I stood in my bathroom around 3am, body and brain going berserk, I lost consciousness (fell asleep?) for a split second and fell back against the bathroom door. Bang! Woke my wife and scared the shit out of her. But, I thought, ok, maybe chill a bit.

I hung back at 200 for a few days and then started back up again, by 20 every two or three days. At 240, I thought, let's see if you can not drink. I went 3 days without much effort at all, but caved on the 4th night, because I was so stressed out from work. I thought, close, but not quite there yet. Kept drinking for the next few days and made it up to 280. Was still stressed out as hell, and thought... I want to drink tonight, but I don't feel like I NEED to. So, I didn't. The next few days were the same, stressed and wanted to, but no nagging physical craving for it. After a few more days, I thought, it's gonna be a week, and I don't feel any need to drink. Then, before I knew it, the next time I actually thought about it, it had been 10 days.

Now, here's where it gets a little tricky (at least for me). The baclofen has removed the cravings, but for me, that's only part of it. A large part of why I drink, and why I ended up drinking past my switch the first time, is as a way to cope with stress and uncomfortable situations in life. As someone else pointed out, it's tough to really tout it as a cure for addiction, because there are many factors to what drives addiction. Granted, the cravings are the mother that ultimately cause us all to fail when we try to to abstain, by ourselves, but I still need to find ways to deal with the other triggers that drive me to drink. I'm not trying to minimize what the baclofen does. Not at all. Just realizing I can only expect it to do so much of it for me.

I had read many other posts where people were saying when you hit your switch, you will just know. Not for me. It was not a sudden realization. Now, mind you, I have also still been doing TSM the whole time, as well. I didn't want to stop until I knew one or the other would work. It's quite possible that the naltrexone actually did more than I thought, because even when I wasn't taking the bac, I was still only having about 3 units a night, way down from my past. The same amount I was still drinking when I went past my perceived switch. So, it's possible the nal actually worked quite a while ago and I was still drinking just out of habit and for stress relief. I will slowly titrate down on the bac and see if the cravings start to reappear. If I get back down to 0 and still have no cravings... bonus! It might just have been the extra push I needed to stop.

A couple other quick things. One thing I've noticed about baclofen... It seems it's only practical use is for cravings/anxiety, because it has got to be the world's worst muscle relaxer. Since, I started taking it, I have not felt a muscle in my body feel more relaxed/looser. In fact, it has seemed to have a complete contradictory effect on me. Beginning a few weeks ago, I started noticing progressivley worsening tightness in my shoulders and massive knots on my back and directly on my spine. Now, when I say massive, I mean visible to the naked eye, and will not release for ANYTHING. I have gone for 60 and 90 minute deep tissue massages to try and fix it. It barely makes a dent, and it comes right back within a few days. I work on them every night with my massage chair, drilling into each knot, on the "spot" setting, for a few minutes. It helps for a bit and they just come back soon after. I just cannot seem to get my muscles to smooth out or relax. Weird, huh.

Regarding Dr. L, I've really had it with this guy. I've been trying to get my prescription refilled for almost a month now, unsuccessfully. I submitted the refill through my pharmacy, but had no hopes of it actually getting filled without my intervention. After a week with no word back on it, I called my pharmacy and asked them to call him on his cell, as it seemed that was the only way I could get through to him and/or get the pharmacy connected with him. Not to mention, he had told me all the previous times just to have the pharmacy call him and he will verify the prescription. This time it did not seem to be working, either. I had them call multiple times. Never answered and never returned any of the voicemails they left him. What kind of doctor just ignores voicemails? But I digress... I finally called him on his home number at night, and he said, "Well, all you have to do is have your pharmacy contact me..." I kind of cut him off and said, "I have, multiple times, with no success." He said, "Well, you just have to have them fax me the request and I'll send it back." FAX??? After almost a year of dealing with him, this is the first time I've ever heard any mention of him even having a fax machine. So, I said, "Oh, well, what's your fax number?" He said, "It's the same number you're calling on." (his home) OHHH. I figure surely this is the problem. I never gave my pharmacy a fax number for him. So, I called my pharmacy, asked them if they could fax him the request and gave them the number. They said, "Oh, yeah, we have that fax number. We already faxed it to him a week ago and haven't gotten anything back." SIGH... I said, "Ok, can you fax it again?" After another week, I asked them to fax it again. Still, after a few more days of nothing, I called him again and said, "I'm deperately trying to get this refilled but I can't seem to get it done. My pharmacy said they faxed it several times over the past few weeks and haven't gotten anything back." He responded, "That's impossible. I don't wait on those. I send them right back." Not knowing how to respond, I said, "Well, let me check with them and if they haven't received anything back can I have them fax it again right now?" He said, "Sure." Of course they hadn't received anything back, so I asked them if they could fax it right then. They tried for about 30 minutes right then, no answer. I am at a loss as to how to actually get it done. Fortunately, I am smart enough to have about 2 1/2 months backup supply, but now that's down to 1 1/2 months. Thank God, I just ordered from Pheonix and got my order within a few days. Lo0p, you are doing the Lord's work! But, still I want to keep refilling the pills, in case something happens and I cannot get it through Phoenix. Plus, I can't take liquid during the day, at work. So, I will keep trying Dr. L and hopefully I'll get it done before I am completely out of pills. I actually just found out tonight, the pharmacy was never able to get a successful transmission. They showed me the log. All failed, no answer. I got the pharmacy to print me the refill request, so I can try and get the fax to go through, myself, since they don't seem to have any luck. BTW, just for the record, I am not someone who is looking for anything for free. I gladly pay his fee, but expect some sort of reliability/reachability, in return. I think that's only fair.

Ok, I think I've said enough for now. I guess that's what happens when I don't post for 7 months and then put it all down in one big rant. ;-)

Cheers!

Great post.

That's a hectic titration, well done on coping! The point you make about actually stopping yourself is valid, but it's amazingly hard to realise, even if you are consciously aware of it.

I don't have anything to add, just congratulations. You will probably find that because of the speed of your titration you have overshot the mark, and will be able to come down a fair bit and still be ok. Experiment and see.

Comment

Ditto on the "Great Post"! Especially for this noob, as I slowly begin to wade my way through the invaluable wealth of info here. Not very encouraging news about Dr. L, though. Makes me question weather it's worth even bothering with him.

Comment

Hang in there. That's odd with Dr. L. I just posted recently how much better it's become getting my refills. He had mine done in hours this last time. Even via fax.

I don't have his #'s handy but his fax was not the same as his home # as I recall. Perhaps it's changed.

He is an odd bird sometimes.

Comment

Hi, Musicman. I'm so glad you've found a way out.

A couple of things:
          That titration is insane. It is likely to land someone in the hospital. It is likely to induce all kinds of very serious, possibly long-term consequences. I really hope that no one else tries it. Ever. I am not being overly dramatic, or pessimistic, or even particularly cautious. Baclofen (as you know) will completely fuck you up if you don't use it correctly. It is also pretty likely that the reason you didn't end up in the hospital (as so many of us have when we titrated too quickly) is because you'd already consistently overdosed before, and been on baclofen for a while.

As to your own situation, time is the great equalizer. Never (not once) have I heard of anyone rushing to the place where they don't drink anymore and then not wanting to drink. In every single case (I know of) the person still wants to drink. (The exception to the rule is ONE PERSON. In three years.) I think this may be good news for you! If you give it some time, you will likely reach the actual switch and indifference to alcohol.

HDB increases anxiety, sort of. Managing that anxiety is one of the keys to success with baclofen over the long term. Lots of suggestions around here about doing that.

I know that it's likely that what I say next will be met with skepticism. I don't believe the "habit" is what keeps people drinking after indifference. When you hit the switch drinking is anathema. Finding things to do to fill the time, finding ways to deal with life, those things are to be expected from sobriety, and unrelated to baclofen. From what I've seen and heard of, people who don't do those things generally titrate down rather quickly so they can drink again.

Dr. L doesn't answer or really respond to his cell phone. I agree he's a pain in the foot to deal with, but generally refills are not usually that difficult. His fax machine is at his home. If you haven't given your pharmacy his office number, I would try that. I would also try going to the pharmacy between 7 and 9pm CST, handing the pharmacy tech a piece of paper with the amount of bac you need written on it, his home phone number, and waiting there while they call. The last time I used a pharmacy that said they couldn't get through and made a big to-do I called Dr. L in his office on my way to the pharmacy. He said he'd been on the phone. Turns out that the pharmacist got a busy signal for over a half an hour and concluded he was unreachable. Don't get me wrong, Dr. L's quirks can make life challenging. But I've been getting bac from him since June of 2010 and I generally don't have issues. It isn't pretty, but it's what we've got.

Cheers!

Comment

I have also come to realize there are many reasons I drink besides the "need" to drink. Recently, I was under a very stressful situation and I drank because I "remembered" that is what I use to do in this situation. It actually use to work. I would get the relief from alcohol. Now, no relief, but it is hard to unlearn the past.

I also agree about the muscle relaxant issue. I remember thinking that it was a bonus that Bac was also a muscle relaxant. To my surprise, it made my muscles tense further. Do you know what I use to do when my muscles got tight...

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1479871 wrote: It is likely to induce all kinds of very serious, possibly long-term consequences.
              What long-term consequences are you referring to?

Comment

I can't say much right now, as I'm at work, but I just wanted to address this real quick...

I meant to say this in my original post. To NE's point, I am ABSOLUTELY NOT suggesting anyone do what I did. DO NOT DO IT. I know it was stupid and potentially dangerous. I was just chronicling what I had done.

My experience should NOT
                be taken as an example of how it can be done. I knew I could be putting myself in danger, but took a chance, and thank God, nothing REALLY BAD happened. Other people have not been so lucky. I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

I'll respond to the rest of everyone's comments tonight...

Comment

Just sent the refill request via my own efax account. Went right thru. No idea why CVS had such problems. Hopefully, it will actually get filled now. It's only been a month... :/

Comment

bleep;1479984 wrote: What long-term consequences are you referring to?
                    Ach. I responded with a long annoying post about blah, blah, blah... It's easily googled.

I think the one that scares me the most is the seizure thing. I've had one. I know of another woman who had one. I wonder how many people have them and don't identify it as that. (Musicman's experience in the bathroom, for instance.)
                    It lowers the seizure threshold. More importantly, it jeopardizes my driver's license. (That's a joke. Sort of.) And I'm pretty sure it's pretty easy to avoid that. Don't take too much baclofen too quickly. Especially not while drinking too much. Right?

I also have spent a lot of time via phone, text and email with several people (4) who titrated up really quickly and hit a wall of anxiety, depression and panic attacks that were really extreme. They also titrated down really quickly. The bad stuff didn't subside. We've got a couple of examples of that from recent threads. It's not in any literature I've found, but I think it's relevant.

Fortunately for a group of online mostly anonymous, self-treating alcoholics (an already at-risk population) baclofen SEs, including actual or intentional overdose, generally are reversible and it's relatively safe. You are really, really unlikely to die from overdosing. And what is considered an overdose (in general) isn’t really clear.

What’s even more pertinent and relevant is that it's pretty rare (imho) for anyone who titrated up in any method resembling the one that you (bleep) or a couple of others who are still around, to achieve comfortable sobriety. Time is a factor. And I have seen many, many, many people take it without titrating reasonably completely give up.

The SEs generally suck. They’re worse if you push the envelope. Which is my only point, I suppose, but which I needed 597 words to explain.

Again, I'm glad you're doing well, MM.

Comment

I edited the post above. Sorry about that. Back to regularly scheduled programming without the histrionics about the dangers of taking too much baclofen. I'll leave that for the people who don't think it's a valuable tool. I, obviously, do.

Cheers

Comment

Tried to post my feedback last night but the site was down. Will try again tonight. I did notice you edited your post, though. ;-)

Comment

Dammit Ne, why do you do that?! I read your first post, and was actually going to say "good post", but had to run. Now I've come back, and it's all gone, except for the 597 words bit. Anyway, what I was going to say, was I generally agree with you. I too ran into a wall at one point, I think there is a post about it in my old thread, and it's a recipe for disaster. That said, I would have done it again - I was in a place that needed to be escaped from, and a gradual, measured titration would not have got me the results in time. Musicman sounds like he reached the same conclusion. I also think, and I think you mentioned something about this in your initial post, that titrating rapidly is different from taking a lot of baclofen in one go. Ach, I can't formulate the reply I have been thinking about all day because your post is gone!

Comment

Sorry bleep. I got all self-conscious about my long-winded know-it-allness and couldn't leave it up there. Taking too much bac in one go is a really, really, really lousy idea. And I seriously hate it when guys (always with the guys!) get on here and start touting it as a way out. 'cause it usually backfires. ...It's feckin' medicine, not tic-tacs. Anyhoo. Rant over and sorry/thanks for that.

Plus, I did it (to a lesser degree, definitely). And you did it. And the stuff works if you're willing to go through absolute hell and endanger yourself (in many ways) in order to get here. I wish the night that you lost it and thought you were Jack Bauer was a little less funny, because it sure was awful too. But it's very funny. Now.

EDIT: And the truth is that there is the ol' "just do it" aspect of doing it. I have said before, and would say again if in the right company, that if I could've been in a safe place, with a really good friend to take really good care of me, and some other meds to manage stuff, I would've just...gobbled it and got it over with. But we're a site of drunks who can take the words of an anonymous stranger to indicate that something is safe or might be reasonable when it is a truly fucked up and crazy idea. Just google "baclofen overdose" people. It is a really, really lousy idea. And those things didn't used to pop up on a google search like they do now. just sayin'

Comment

I don't want to beat a dead horse, because I agree with you. Just a few quick points...

I've definitely never had a seizure in my life. Of that, I am certain. On occasions when I felt I had overdone it (like that night) and worried I might be at risk, I took an ativan, to raise my seizure threshold and hopefully prevent any. It probably saved my ass on several occasions. The incident in the bathroom was simply an exaggerated occurrence of what I experience every day, while staring at my computer screen. The momentary blink of consciousness, as I start to doze and then suddenly snap back into reality. It was just worse, because I was standing up, having just woke up and groggy as hell, not prepared for it.

You mentioned I probably tolerated it better because I had already taken high doses previously and had already consistently overdosed. While I definitely figured I could titrate back up quicker because I had just recently already been on high doses, I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding overdosing. I had never overdosed in the past. I always titrated up slowly, previously.

I am definitely aware of the symptoms of baclofen overdose. If nothing else, I always reasearch the shit out of anything I do, before, during and after I do it. I've probably read just about every study, article and story regarding baclofen out there. I paid very close attention while titrating up, watching out for any signs of any "true" overdose symptoms. Never had any. The majority of it was just severe muscle ataxia, brain zaps, and a feeling of being on overload.

Not trying to minimize any of it. Just saying, although I may have been stupid about it, I do try to at least be knowledgable enough and prepared, in case something does happen.

And bleep had it exactly right. I didn't just wake up one morning and say... gee, I think I'll see if I can overdose on baclofen this week. I had struggled with it for over a year and I finally got frustrateed to the point that I was either going to give up entirely and be doomed to be a drunk the rest of my life or find the fucking solution once and for all. I was at a point of frustration and desperation. I knew I just couldn't bear to do another prolonged titration, to find out if it would work. I just had to do it.

Again, to re-iterate, I AM NOT touting it as a way out. NO ONE shold do what I did. I probably only managed to pull it off because I had already been at that high of a dosage for a large part of a year and my body was still used to it. Think of it as, if you drank a liter of alcohol a day for a year, stopped for a month and then started back up again. Your body would tolerate the return to that level of alcohol, much quicker, than if you never drank alcohol and suddenly ramped up to a liter a day. I don't know if you'd die, but you'd get pretty damn sick. I imagined it was pretty similar, as far as your body's memory for tolerance to a substance.

Regarding the "habit" topic, I didn't really mean still drinking just out of the pure habit of drinking. I more meant still drinking out of the habit of using it as a way to cope with all things life. I had become so accustomed to turning to alocohol for that, it was just instinct at that point.

Ok, I think I've said enough on that.

Back to Dr L., TAG, sorry if I discouraged you about him. After faxing him the refill request myself, I had it by the next day. He is definitely awkward to deal with, but like Ne said, he's what we've got. If you don't want to deal with him, I have found what appears to be the best price out there, by far, for online baclofen. InternationalDrugMart.com has it for $140, for 200 25mg pills ($.70/pill). I haven't seen it anywhere near that low, from anywhere else. I ordered from there for months, with no issue.

If you do use him, I would say just take what he tells you with a grain of salt. I don't think he really has any idea what he's talking about, regarding taking it and what to expect. He told me (and everyone else, I'm sure) to take it in three even doses, when you first wake up, at 1:00 pm and three hours before you go to sleep, going up by 20mg a week. He says you shouldn't experience any side effects and you'll sleep like a baby. He obviously never took it. I don't know about everyone else, but sleep like a baby I did not. In fact, I didn't sleep at all. Thank God, I already had a prescription for Seroquel (for anxiety) and it knocks you the fuck out. Nothing else (at least for me) could counteract the insomnia caused by the baclofen, not even benzos. If I didn't have the Seroquel, I woulnd't be able to take the baclofen, period. And as far as the side effects, well there are more than enough posts on here talking about that.

He is apparently under the impression (by what Dr A. told him) that it is incredibly esay to take and has no real side effects, and no one seems to be able to convince him otherwise. I personally got disgusted by him, when I tried to get in touch with him in November to discuss with him the horrendous side effects I had been having. I was already not really looking forward to talking with him about it, because of what other people had told me about him basically sticking his fingers in his ears and going, "La la la la... baclofen wouldn't cause that and you can't tell me otherwise." So, when I finally got myself ready to call him and try to explain what I had been experiencing, I called him and said, "Hi, Dr. Levin, this is John Smith in Las Vegas. I apologize it's been a while since we spoke, but I just wanted to call and check in, and I need to put in a refill request." He said, "I'm in the middle of a session right now, so I don't know how much I can say at the moment." Ok, fair enough. So, I said, "Oh, ok, do you wnat to call me back when you have a free moment?" His next statement was one I've never received from a doctor before... "Well, I don't know why you're calling." HUH??? I thought, well, I'm a patient of yours and want to discuss my treatment, and if you call me back, you can find out then. But, I was so stunned by it and put off that all I could spit out was, "Uhhh... I'm calling about baclofen." He said, "Oh, ok, well all you have to do is have your pharmacy contact me and I'll verify the prescription." I just said, "Ok, thank you very much," and realized right then I would never call him again for anything other than refill requests.

Anyway, I've been slowly backing off over the last three weeks, since stopping. I'm at 200 now and seem to be doing pretty well. We'll see how it goes from here...

Comment

Working...
                              X