Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on titrating off baclofen

Dear All,

I thought I had hit my switch at 140mg. After a few stressful events I drank a bit more than I should on a couple of occasions. Nothing major. So I upped my dose to 160mg just to finally make sure I had hit the 'switch'.

This really kicked the cravings into submission, but I started having panic attacks. I am no stranger to anxiety but I had never felt like this before, so i went back down to 140mg and felt normal again. Cravings still gone.

However, as much as i would like to stay at this dose I have just found out I need an operation in the near future. I cannot 'confess' to being on baclofen as it would be professional suicide for me to have it on my medical records. It would cause me no end of problems.

So my question is, could I reduce by 10mg every 4 days safely?

I cannot find the link to the 2nd study by the French medics who gave some advice on titrating down. I have a dim memory of them stating that it could be as much as 30mg every third day. But of course i could be completly wrong.

Should one be quided by how one feels?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Caro

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59463672/Prescribing-Guide-for-Baclofen-in-the-Treatment-of-Alcoholism-Don.pdf

Comment

Dear Colin,

Thank you for the link. This is the study i meant.

Caro

Comment

Hi Caro

FWIW That sounds like a reasonable taper. If you find yourself having very dark thoughts please try to remember that it is probably the retreating Bac.

Alternatively couldn't you taper to 80mg (universally recognised dose) and say that a friend recommended had recommended it for restless leg syndrome or sleep and had given you her supply. You hadn't mentioned it earlier but suddenly realised there maybe withdrawal symptoms without it during your op.

Just thoughts.
        Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

Hi Caro,
          I recently had serious, scheduled surgery while on baclofen and am now recovering well. In case it helps you out, here’s what happened:

I was contentedly taking 120 mg/day bac for months, and like you I was very concerned about how to approach surgery. I even put it off for a while because of worrying about my records, how to explain it, and of course wanting to be safe.

But, I didn’t want to go all the way off bac, so instead I just titrated down to around 80-90 mg before surgery. (Don’t even know if that was necessary, but…) When I went in for pre-surgery tests and all that, I told them I was on 80 mg/day. Like Ignominious just mentioned, this is listed as a standard range max dose. It shouldn’t raise eyebrows, and it didn’t in my case. The docs did ask what I took bac for, of course, and I said mild depression/restless leg syndrome (both true, actually... I just didn’t mention the “and losing interest in alcohol” side effect!) They checked on the dosage level, and that was the end of it! No further questions, we just all agreed how to dose w/ bac the day of surgery. (I’m in excellent health, take no other meds, so this may also factor in.)

There were no complications and I felt way less anxious going through my procedure knowing the doctors were all fine with my baclofen use, too. Right now I’m titrating back up to where I’m comfortable. Hope this helps reassure you. Good Luck!

Comment

Dear Ignominious and Eve,

Thank you for your replies. Both have given me food for thought and I may just try the restless leg syndrome tack.

Thanks again

Caro

Comment

Working...
            X