Assisted recovery using baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have found a treatment center in Georgia called Asssisted Recovery Center which specializes in only alcoholism and prescription drug addiction and is using baclofen as well as Vivitrol which is an injectable Naltrexone.

Does anyone know about the science behind Vivitrol? The center does not follow TSM and in fact says TSM is crazy and wrong so I am interested in getting to the bottom of this. So, it seems Baclofen is starting to make some inroads into rehab. This is a non 12 step center and it may be they can get a doctor to prescribe baclofen now. Interesting and helpful if you live in Georgia. They tell me people fly in to get Vivitrol injections. One of their testimonials, Nathan, used baclofen and Vivitrol and says it saves his life. Of course, I am not advertising this centr and have no connection with it and cannot vouch for it so it is buyer beware.

I know lo0p used both baclofen and naltrexone but have no idea about the correct method for Vivitrol and whether there are long term problems with it because it causes up regulation, or whether you need to keep drinking on Vivitrol as you do with TSM

Any ideas? Anyone used Vivitrol?
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Otter;1491148 wrote: ...
    Any ideas? Anyone used Vivitrol?
    Hello Otter

I ran a search for Vivitrol using the search button above. here are the results:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/se...=2130826&pp=25

Best

Cass
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Hi Otter. Vivitrol is also used in dealing with addiction to opiates. Since you mention this facility treats people addicted to pain medication, I would think they might be using Vivitrol for that in addition to whatever they may be doing with it on the alcohol side of things.

I am interning now in a treatment facility and I will say that in my neck of the woods, it's getting pretty rare to see anyone come in with only alcohol as a problem. Particularly the young people - most have multiple significant addictions and these days, a high percentage have heroin in the mix. For most of the clients I see, that usually begins with opiate pain med use/abuse. So if they are seeing what we are seeing then Vivitrol would make sense to me in that mix.

FWIW..

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Vivitrol is basically Naltrexone. An addiction counselor I went to swore by it.
        I believe it is supposed to work for 6 months. The feedback I got was it starts dropping off by 4 months leaving some dangling in the wind. You cannot get it more often than every 6 months unless someone is making an exception.

You don't need to fly anywhere. I could have gotten from my primary care doc. It is generally not covered by insurance. It's something like $600 and up from what I was told. Very pricey. Maybe more.

I could see using it with baclofen. It makes a whole lot of sense. I would want to check out the interactions though. I had naltrexone pills and they did not do it for me. Helped a bit but I did not want to quit bad enough. That's when you get in to that TSM practice.

But again, Vivitrol is liquid naltrexone from how my doctors described it.

Comment

That facility (near Atlanta) has been treating people with baclofen and naltrexone for many years.
          The person from here who went to that facility (Sunnyvalenting) was prescribed baclofen and naltrexone (oral, non-TSM) in conjunction with a wide assortment of nutritional supplements.
          It's cash only, US$15k for two weeks when I called 2 years ago. Transportation and overnight accommodations are not included. Which is a serious problem, obviously. Never-the-less, knowing what I know now, well worth the debt. If Ed hadn't been able to take baclofen all the way up on his own, he was going to go there. We would have figured out a way...

The other thing about that facility is that they offer weekly counseling via phone (skype?) for a year after the intensive program is over. Very interesting, and very progressive.

Sunnyvalenting stopped taking naltrexone shortly after she left the place, and most of the supplements. She got up to 110mg (?) of baclofen, titrated down after a year, and relapsed.

Hiya, DG. Nice to see you and congratulations! I've always been the only "Just alcoholic" in every treatment program I've been in (outside of AA) going back two decades...

Comment

Hi Otter. I've not been on mwo forum for very long and I am glad that kronkcarr has given me some guidance on how to navigate...sober only 13 days now..brain still trying to catch up. Your bacusa forum has help lead me to discover and take BACLOFEN. I am truly amazed that I have had essentially no cravings. In fact, I keep waiting for that hell hole craving to kick in. Also, little to no anxiety as experienced in past recovery attempts. I'm up to 90 mg per day and will start 120mg tomorrow. I'm thankful to you for your no nonsense website. And Otter, would you please tell me how you heard about the ARC in Georgia-if possible or permissible. Thank you.

Comment

spiritwolf333;1491558 wrote: Hi Otter. I've not been on mwo forum for very long and I am glad that kronkcarr has given me some guidance on how to navigate...sober only 13 days now..brain still trying to catch up. Your bacusa forum has help lead me to discover and take BACLOFEN. I am truly amazed that I have had essentially no cravings. In fact, I keep waiting for that hell hole craving to kick in. Also, little to no anxiety as experienced in past recovery attempts. I'm up to 90 mg per day and will start 120mg tomorrow. I'm thankful to you for your no nonsense website. And Otter, would you please tell me how you heard about the ARC in Georgia-if possible or permissible. Thank you.
              The owner of ARC posted a comment on the site so I looked it up and found out they use baclofen in addition to Vivitrol which is their main drug, I think.

I cannot figure out the position on the Lo0p posts about Nal, whether he agrees with it and whether on Vivitrol you have to keep drinking as per TSM.
              BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

I keep wanting to start a rehab here in Zim. I have visions of people sitting around watching DVD's and drinking beer, until one day they drink tea, then they leave.

Comment

bleep;1491878 wrote: I keep wanting to start a rehab here in Zim. I have visions of people sitting around watching DVD's and drinking beer, until one day they drink tea, then they leave.
                  Hi bleep

In your vision, do you think they'll be able to charge $30,000 a month for the DVDs and beer?

Do you think some of the financial types managing traditional rehabs might be getting a little concerned about their business model?

I feel so sorry for them...

Best,

Cass
                  With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

No Cass, it would be far more reasonably priced.

With a money-back guarantee.

Comment

Otter -Questions-Thanks

Otter;1491866 wrote: The owner of ARC posted a comment on the site so I looked it up and found out they use baclofen in addition to Vivitrol which is their main drug, I think.

I cannot figure out the position on the Lo0p posts about Nal, whether he agrees with it and whether on Vivitrol you have to keep drinking as per TSM.
                      Otter -I am have some knowledge about the Assisted Recovery Center in Savannah, GA. They are very much a forward thinking recovery center. They are one of the few that I know of that are willing to think outside of the box. I do not work for them or anyone else in the recovery industry. I am just someone trying like hell to get sober, and thanks to BAC and others (like you folks), I am well on my way. (Day 15 Free)
                      :thanks:

Comment

Comment

Bleep/Cass

bleep;1492052 wrote: No Cass, it would be far more reasonably priced.

With a money-back guarantee.
                          This entire recovery industry is on the verge of changing. In years down the road, it will look and be totally different (I hope). Maybe they will even change the name to Life Transition Centers. Places where alcoholics like me learn completely new life living skills -(Art/Music/Nutrition/Exercise/Yoga/SelfWorth/StopTheBS Classes/Finances/Brain Interface Tech/JustBeDamnHappy classes, etc.)

Until insurance/people/governments begin to treat mental health in the way they do physical health, I am afraid we all are going to remain at a loss. Probably the recovered and the public sector will have to lead the charge for this drastically needed change.

Comment

Working...
                          X