OT (sort of) Diet drinks and depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting podcast with ramifications for those of us who drink sugary drinks. It's only about 2 minutes long.

Diet drinks linked to depression ? Health Science Center UF&Shands Podcasts - University of Florida

I've already heard stuff about diet drinks being bad for the teeth and encouraging an insulin-sugar-type response which isn't helpful to mood nor health so does make a lot of sense.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Rut-ro: I've been ingesting 8+ cans of diet c everyday. The info says that it is the worst of all the drinks for depression. Just damn; I am going to have to give up the last of my mind altering chemicals (I guess-except for BAC, of course).

From the podcast notes summary:
      "A recent study tracked the favorite sugary and artificially sweetened drinks of more than 250,000 people over 10 years. The findings were more bitter than sweet: People who drank more than four cans of soda daily were 30 percent more likely to be diagnosed with depression than people who didn’t drink soda."

Comment

I've been trying hard lately to reduce my consumption of Diet Dr. Pepper. I'm thoroughly addicted though :H Anyway, what's the gist of this podcast or article? I was too lazy to check it out. Is there any scientific data to support their findings?

B.

Comment

It's two feckin' minutes long, B. Sheesh.

Given the title I think you might guess...People who drink sugar drinks are more likely to suffer from depression than those who do not. People who drink fake sugary drinks are even more likely to be depressed than both the sugar drinkers, and the people who don't drink sweeteners. Or something like that. I have no idea what it's based on. Some study. And it was reported on NPR. That's almost enough for me. (Though I don't touch the stuff.)

Plus, that stuff tastes like crap, is terrible for just about every system it touches and dehydrates rather than hydrates. imho.

How the hell are you? And what's news?

Comment

ive been replacing my beer habit with diet coke and regular like 3 bottles a day,and yeah i feel depressed but i need that fizz!
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Priorities, priorities, Pauly. I would guess that if the study included alcoholic drinks, those would make the others pale in comparison.

I still eat something like 17 times the RDA of peanut MnMs. (There is a Recommended Daily Allowance for those, right? )

I moved on from the 'snack pack' to the double size, and finally realized I need the "party pack" or I have to head to the grocery store daily. :H

Comment

Dr P and Coke contain caffeine. Sugar cravings are also very common in recovering alcoholics, alcohol is seen like sugar by the body and when reducing it the body also wants to replace the lost kcals.

I had to give up sugar free gum because I was chomping through whole packs, since cutting out sweeteners almost altogether I've seen removal of desire for sugary things however it is a little boring.
                I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1503981 wrote: It's two feckin' minutes long, B. Sheesh.

Given the title I think you might guess...People who drink sugar drinks are more likely to suffer from depression than those who do not. People who drink fake sugary drinks are even more likely to be depressed than both the sugar drinkers, and the people who don't drink sweeteners. Or something like that. I have no idea what it's based on. Some study. And it was reported on NPR. That's almost enough for me. (Though I don't touch the stuff.)

Plus, that stuff tastes like crap, is terrible for just about every system it touches and dehydrates rather than hydrates. imho.

How the hell are you? And what's news?
                  :H I'm good Ne. Just stopping by occasionally to see what's going on around here. I'm still doing my thing.

Comment

Glad to hear it. Try water. It doesn't suck.

Comment

Working...
                    X