Baclofen side effects question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone! Thanks for posting so much great information. I have been reading through a ton of postings. I just started the baclofen and at the smallest dose of 5 mg I am having terrible side effects already. There is no way at this point I can begin the increase up because of the way my body is reacting. Headaches, grumpy, depressed and can hardly function. I have to be able to get through my work day without feeling terrible. So far it has helped with decreasing in drinking. Is there anything that any of you know of that can offset the side effects of this med? Any feedback would be so appreciated.

Oh where to begin? :H

Stay hydrated. Sucks for right now, but try ibuprophen (NOT Tylenol or anything acetaminophen based--your liver is probably under enough stress already, and that shit is terrible for the liver) for the headaches. The grumpy and depressed could very well be related to reducing drinking--even if you're not abstinent or even close, a reduction in drinking still takes a toll on the mental/emotional day-to-day.

The other thing to try, and this is what I did when I first started out, is take the 5mg dose in the evenings instead of when you get up in the morning. I figured I might feel a little foggy and out of it for a while, but so what, I was going to bed.

And the other thing: increasing dose does not mean automatically increasing SEs. It's weird, but true. Think of it as 5mg just tickling your brain a little, like you just had your first drink of the day but now can't have any more. I bet that would leave you with a headache, grumpy, and depressed too. I know that's how I would feel.

Comment

Suzi, that seems utterly amazing to me: that you could have such an extreme response to just 5mg of baclofen. Not just the side effects (which seem very severe for any dose, let alone a mere 5mg), but also the fact that it has already reduced your drinking!!!!

Suzi, are you sure you're only taking 5mg? Have you started taking anything else recently?

It could be something else in that particluar brand of baclofen, which is causing the nasty S.E.s. What's the brand? How are you getting your supply? If you're seeing a doctor, have you reported the S.E.s to them? If so, what was their reply?
      "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

Hey all thank you so much for your support with the postings. Seriously we all need to stick together here and share as much as we can to help and support ourselves and others. I am working with a very loving and supportive Dr., I have an appointment coming up today and will report the awful side effects. For the last few days I have had to go off of the Baclofen to get my self back to feeling normal. I will let you know what the Dr says when I have my appointment. I checked everything that I was taking with my Dr to be sure there were no interactions in a negative way. I am so disappointed that this happening, I know that if I can conquer this addiction I can conquer anything in my life that I can imagine. I am successful very and totally functional as an alcoholic but just want this problem out of my life, have tried everything. It has to go for health reasons and also for the way that this problem has effected my loved ones, so embarrassed about it. It is very interesting, I will talk to my Dr about this but have had the same horrible side effects with blood pressure medication, have tried 5 different ones and my body just can't handle the side effects. LA, I never use tylenol, one of my clients died of liver failure due to the use of this drug for pain management for arthritis. Thanks again LA and love for life responses.

Comment

Could be a blessing in disguise Suzi. Feeling the effects, not just SE's from such a small dose might just find you your sweet spot very early on.

Comment

Thanks everyone, just talked to my doctor and was advised to cut back to a lesser dose and go 2xs daily. Hopefully this will be a blessing of some sort that my body may not need as much. Dr said that these effects happen and everyone is different so for now we are less on the dose and only 2xs daily I will let everyone know how that is working. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X