Antabuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse

How many hours after your last drink can you take antabuse? I am so desperate!
    Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
    Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Antabuse

Wait: desperate to take the Antabuse? Or the other way around, and desperate to drink?

Just don't drink. You're still going to feel the same after you take the AB--it's still going to be just you not drinking. So try to calm down a little bit and relax and be gentle with yourself.

I believe 24-48 hours is safe for taking AB, but some of the ladies on the Topa thread do take it the morning after... depends on how much you've been drinking...

Comment

Antabuse

It is recommended to wait at least 24 hours after drinking before taking AB. However I think that depends on how much you drank, too. If you went on a heavy drinking spree, I'd wait a bit longer but if you are working on a taper and only had one or two you might be able to get away with a bit less than 24 hours.

Antabuse had worked a miracle for me, but please be cautious. You cannot drink while on it. Not only will it make you violently ill but it will be dangerous for your liver and other organs.

Edit: And all respect for StuckinLA, but I felt completely different after taking AB. Prior to taking my first dose I could not talk myself out of the drink. Since taking it, drinking is just not an option, so I don't think about it and I don't crave it. I just can't drink. I know the desperation you are feeling, Deilight! It's a wonderfully liberating feeling to not be constantly struggling with the decision to drink or not to drink!
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Antabuse

Before trying Bac I was going to try Antabuse. Just taking having it in my system would have taken that "will I won't I" question out of my head. The thought of the SEs would have scared me shitless. I've been on meds before and knew I could not drink. The cravings subsided a fair to the point were I was able to control them.

Personally I would have waited at least a week after taking a small dose of Antabuse, its that scary. If your having those kind of thoughts not long after taking it I don't think its for you.

Comment

Antabuse

Yes, you should wait at least two weeks after your last AB dose before drinking, but the point of AB (for me anyway) is to not drink at all whether I'm on it or not. AB is a tool to break the cycle of relying on a drink to get me through. The second I think I might cave in I will be right back on AB. I will probably pop a pill or 2 in my purse to have it with me at all times, in case I'm tempted.
          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Antabuse

Deilight,

I waited 48 hours after my last drink before I took my first AB pill.

I had been on a long and heavy binge and was afraid 24 hours would not be quite enough to get everything out of my system.

Once you start down the AB path, for it to help you, you must be committed. Take the pill every day and it will turn those cravings into "I'd love a drink but too bad, I can't." Then the craving is gone.

If you decide to quit taking it so you can drink. Please wait a minimum of two weeks before drinking. A few years ago I did that and even after two weeks, my first couple of glasses of wine ended me up in the ER. AB builds up in your liver over time and becomes more and more effective with consistent dosing.

Welcome back, btw, and we know the desperation. Do you still have a friend who can help you with this, getting sober and starting out?

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
            X