Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomniacs

john doe;1508935 wrote:
    Most of my problems are self inflicted I try not to feel sorry for myself too much. I feel sorry for those who have serious insomnia.
    hmmm. Self-inflicted? Okay. You can think of it that way, or you could remind yourself that it's a process, this whole getting-well-thing, and you're doing your best. (I know, I know. I can't really remember that either. )

I cannot imagine what it's like to have serious insomnia. I really feel for you people! :l

RedThread12;1508940 wrote:

It's a simple technique - but not so easy - observe each inhalation and exhalation, with unbroken attention, at some specific, unchanging part of the body. I focus on the area around my nostrils.
    Yep. That's what I'm talking about. Initially, though, I had to count them. I could not stop the brain-train long enough without some "mind activity" to focus on. At this point, though, the numbers matter not at all. Sometimes I find myself at number 37. I just start again at 1. Sometimes I can't remember if I'm still counting, and then realize I was in that mindless space (or asleep :H). But at first, when my mind worked against me, I needed a label.

I really, really recommend something like that, JD (and others). It is one of my most useful tools.

Comment

Insomniacs

I put a DVD on or TV programme, and think of nothing else. Soon get back to sleep.
      I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Insomniacs

The breathing thing is interesting as since I've started BAc I've had problems with shortness of breath. I think it could be wakening me up. I've noticed I've had to try and keep my mouth open as when breathing through my nose, I don't seem to be getting enough oxygen in and its like trying to breath through a blocked nose with your mouth closed if that makes any sense?

Comment

Insomniacs

Whatever you do, don't take up reading Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu. Trust me on this one.

Comment

Insomniacs

john doe;1508980 wrote: The breathing thing is interesting as since I've started BAc I've had problems with shortness of breath. I think it could be wakening me up. I've noticed I've had to try and keep my mouth open as when breathing through my nose, I don't seem to be getting enough oxygen in and its like trying to breath through a blocked nose with your mouth closed if that makes any sense?
            One of my SEs from Baclofen was snoring. I believe the relaxant effect on my body caused the muscles in my throat/neck to relax.

Once I quit taking Bac, my snoring went away.

Stuck,

I'll trust you on that one...

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Insomniacs

RedThread12;1508940 wrote: I attended an intensive, 10-day meditation course in 1987. Even then, I could see the writing on the wall regarding alcohol. I didn't do the course with the expectation that I would stop all intoxicants for more than a decade, but that is what happened.

In the beginning, what I was MOST delighted by was having a specific "something to do" with my thoughts when I woke up in the night. Which was pretty much every night, for much of the night.
              It's a simple technique - but not so easy - observe each inhalation and exhalation, with unbroken attention, at some specific, unchanging part of the body. I focus on the area around my nostrils. Some people focus on the lift and fall of their abdomen or chest. Can't find the link just now, but Google "Mindfulness of Breath Meditation" and you can find lots of different resources. Several prominent universities now have departments dedicated to "Mindfulness."

Hey - it IS something to do, you don't have to get out of bed, and maybe you'll get to sleep again. And every moment the mind is not caught up in worry, anxiety or judgment is pretty special!!
              And Red, there is a great iPad App for Mindfulness and Breathing: "Health through Breath - Pranayama" -Just a thought. And congrats on the 10 day course - I am not sure it would be a safe journey for me to just be ME and MY thoughts for 10 days (that could almost be self-torture-lol)

Comment

Insomniacs

Hi all, I'm new and just posted my introduction/progress thread...

Thought I'd jump in here and say that insomnia, and the shortness of breath/gasping for air thing, are by far my worst SE's of bac, and at a very low dose too (30 mg).

The other thing that interrupts my sleep is a weird tickly feeling at the back of my throat, combined with a gross nasal blocked feeling that takes a while to clear, if it does at all.

So far, very bummed about these SE's as I've always valued my sleep....

I take 10 mg melatonin combined with between 50-100 mg of benadryl. Sometimes it works, others not at all (like tonight, which is why I am up writing...)

Comment

Insomniacs

You might get used to the shortness of breath thing. It doesn't annoy me any more. At the start combined with anxiety it can really freak you out.

Comment

Insomniacs

john doe;1512772 wrote: You might get used to the shortness of breath thing. It doesn't annoy me any more. At the start combined with anxiety it can really freak you out.
                    Good to hear... I really hope it goes away!

Comment

Insomniacs

I'm sitting here getting it now Its like you keep forgetting to breath. If I have a drink of water I'm immediately stopping due to shortness of breath. It doesn't effect exercising or anything like that so it doesn't worry me. Hopefully it does go away over time but you hopefully will get used it it in the mean time

Comment

Insomniacs

john doe;1512789 wrote: If I have a drink of water I'm immediately stopping due to shortness of breath. It doesn't effect exercising or anything like that so it doesn't worry me. Hopefully it does go away over time but you hopefully will get used it it in the mean time
                        Oh, God, the swallowing thing! I remember that one now. That sucked so bad. Like taking a sip of water, but you couldn't breathe and kind of had to choke it down...

That one usually only hit me late in the afternoons and in the middle of the night. Try not to let it freak you out--get up and walk around a little. You're not going to stop breathing.

Actually, getting up and moving for a few minutes is the best advice for whenever that extreme somnolence washes over you, even the middle of the night. Get up, move around, get back in bed when you're ready and a little calmer. Trying to remember... I believe it got better after being stable at a dose (and sober) for a little while.

Comment

Insomniacs

^^^^ Stuck... I actually find it funny now that I'm used to it. Its worst when I wake during the night and take a drink. Its like someone is trying to suffocate me

Regarding somnolence.. I only really get it at night now which I like as it used to take me a few hours nodding off.

Comment

Working...
                          X