Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse

My tablets have arrived from the USA.

How long do need to be AF before I start taking them., is it 24 hours?

They are 500mg I think I intend to cut them in half and take daily for a while then reduce this to 2 or 3 times a week.

Does this sound a sensible approach as I have not seen my Dr and do not intend to
    Its easier not to start than stop

Antabuse

gm,

You have to be sober long enough to ensure you have no more alcohol in your system.

I waited 48 hours because I had been on a serious binge, drinking a 5th of vodka a day.

Half a tablet is fine. I take 250 mgs/day.

Why do you want to go to 2-3 times a day? Just curious.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Antabuse

I waited 24 hours, but Cindi's right - you should make sure all the alcohol is out of your system.

I didn't want Antabuse on my official record either, but I got a physical with a full blood panel just when starting the AB and mentioned it to my doctor 'off the record' so he would know what to look for when the results came back.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Antabuse

I read somewhere it takes 2 weeks to leave your system and by taking it, a couple of times a week keeps in in your body but makes the pills lasts longer which are hard to get without a prescription.
        So are you both happy with the ANTABUSE as a treatment for your problem ?

Comment

Antabuse

GM,

I am ecstatic that I am able to stay sober. I am grateful that I cannot make snap decisions to go ahead and drink.

It doesn't help with the thoughts, except to make them short, as in: I would love to buy a bottle, but I can't, oh well.

I am doing other things to help keep me sober down the road when I am not taking Antabuse.
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Antabuse

Yes I want it to work that way for me as well. I am hoping that after 6 months of not drinking I have found other things to do instead, I have stopped several time without help for 6 weeks at a time but that is not long enough to change my life's patterns so to speak. Drinking is not really a social thing for me anymore I just do it sitting on my own which is very sad way to live. I cant imagine me doing that for long without alcohol

Comment

Antabuse

I take Antabuse... It has worked for me... It does give you that pause when thinking about alcohol. Then that thought seems to pass. I like that.. And I feel great.

Comment

Working...
              X