Abstinence Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abstinence Challenge

I am starting this thread for myself and for anyone who cares to track some AF time with me. I know of a couple of you Baclofenist are considering this right now, so if you want to make a goal for yourself and check in from time to time, this can be a place for you to do that.

My goal is to go 4 weeks AF starting today.

(JDizzle- I know of you started a thread like this already. I thought about posting on yours, but didn't know if it was open to others. I borrowed your title as it was so appropriate. Hope you don't mind.)

Abstinence Challenge

I'm in Juan, starting tomorrow, also going to shift some weight by eating better and exercising more, so in British diet style (don't know about the rest of the world) we always start on a Monday!
    Honour Thyself

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

Juan,

I am hoping to be alcohol free as a long term goal, today is one month alcohol free. I decided to do this because even with the baclofen I still could drink too much on occasions. I must admit that mentally I am finding it much easier than I have in the past, but I realise that is because the baclofen is taking the cravings away.

I have come to the conclusion that (for me) even a small amount of alcohol still keeps the beast alive in my head and I want so much to be free and find some peace.

So my goal is one year alcohol free!

Thanks for starting the thread.

Caro

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

Emily you are so right about the Monday thing. What was I thinking? My plan is to do some grocery shopping today and I'll pick up some of those AF cervezas. That's not cheating and I think it will do the trick just fine.

Caro- you already have a month AF? That's fantastic! I think that long term abstinence would be best for me too. I'm just going to focus on the 4 weeks for now and hopefully get some perspective on all of this. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

I'm in and actually had a really bad relapse Thursday. I bumped up to 150 mg and don't want anything to do with drinking for a while. I'm really confused and a little disheartened about bac. How did I go from drinking without any craving to the pill completely not working? The reason I'm really skeptical is because when I first started at 60 on day one, all desire to drink was gone until day 2 when my body was used to 60. So at 120 it was gone until my body got used to that. I don't know man... I'm not 100% on board with this like I was. But I am 100% on board with the abstinence challenge.
          When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

I am in. I already have 4 days but I want at least a solid 30 (or more).

Since this is the meds forum, we should discuss how we are doing in relation to the medicine.

For instance, it would be good to note dose changes and related effects to thoughts/ behavior 1-4 days after the dose change.

I think it would be good to post issues around "craving" thoughts vs "habit" thoughts. How often, how long, the result (drink or no drink)?

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

JD, baclofen won't stop you drinking. It will remove the cravings if you are on a sufficient dose, but there is a big difference between having no cravings and drinking anyway. If you are still getting cravings, I would suggest that you continue to increase, but if the cravings aren't there, then this 30 days is just the ticket right now.

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

Day one and feeling very positive.

I am on 100 mg of baclofen and will increase on Thursday to 110mg.

Monday to Thursday won't be a problem for me, it will be Friday and Saturday so this will be interesting. Mixing this 30 days with a healthy lifestyle 30 days so my focus will be dropping some weight through eating healthier and exercising.

I have to remember why I went on bac in the first place, I'm getting a bit smug as I now have the ability to drink but without the craving/panic of the bottle running out and I this is no good at all, I'm dancing with the devil and I know it.

As Bleep says this 30 days is just the ticket, bring it on!!
                Honour Thyself

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

Emily, I agree with dancing with the devil for sure. This is day 3 for me. I started 150 on Saturday and am fully anticipating SEs to start soon. My breathing was a little labored last night. I don't see a problem other than days this week that end in Y. I usually drank on those days. I'm just going to stay away from everything... Any evening meetings with friends and stuff like that. I have a plethora of unfinished projects I can work on over the weekend, but lets get through Monday first.
                  When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

Hi,

As MaryGoRound suggested I will document my regime of Baclofen. I am currently on 90mg, I foolishly dropped down recently from 120mg too quickly and paid the price in having anxiety episodes. I have no cravings whatsoever, actually the thought of drinking alcohol is anathema to me. This is very new.

I have been feeling depressed recently and this is also new for me. I do not know if the messing about with the baclofen has caused this. The depression/anxiety was/is quite severe and I did have dark thoughts, again this is new. I have now officially been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis so that is not helping.

My plan now is to drop down by 5mg every 5 days till I am off baclofen. I will then try a period of being alcohol free as long as I can. if the cravings come back I will start baclofen again.

Caro

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

caro;1523384 wrote: My plan now is to drop down by 5mg every 5 days till I am off baclofen. I will then try a period of being alcohol free as long as I can. if the cravings come back I will start baclofen again.
                      Why would you go off baclofen completely?

Are the SE's too severe? Otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. Completely without baclofen didn't work out for me in the long run.

Sure you can always start again, but in my case every step up or down gave me a drop in mood after 3 days. It's no fun.
                      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

Hey Caro

Can I ask how you take your 90 mg and your 120 mg (when you were at 120 mg)

I'm on 100 mg just now but plan to go up as high as 120.

Today is the second day I've been on 100 mg which I took as 40 mg this morning, 30 mg afternoon and 30 mg evening.

Maybe it's taking the 40 mg at once but I feel really whacked out today.
                        Honour Thyself

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

emily;1523467 wrote: Hey Caro

Can I ask how you take your 90 mg and your 120 mg (when you were at 120 mg)

I'm on 100 mg just now but plan to go up as high as 120.

Today is the second day I've been on 100 mg which I took as 40 mg this morning, 30 mg afternoon and 30 mg evening.

Maybe it's taking the 40 mg at once but I feel really whacked out today.
                          Hey Emmy, I'm not Caro but I hope you don't mind my input.

I took my 90 mg in 30-20-40 for the last 10 days. The highest dose before the night, because in my sleep I probably won't experience SE's and lower doses in the morning and especially in the afternoon to be more alert. It worked fine for me.

Since today I'm trying 20-20-50, but I can't tell you if and how that works.

If you want to try, you could take 30-20-50 to see if it gives some improvement.

You could try 30-20-50
                          Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

I was doing my lowest dose at night when it was uneven. My SEs r worse at night. I wake up not breathing.

Comment

Abstinence Challenge

JDizzle-

I have had the no breathing episode a couple of times at night and it is freaky. You did a pretty good jump from 120 to 150 and I think you will be feeling some effects for little while, but they will pass. I don't move around more than 10mg at a time now and that is pretty predictable, which is important for me. I have had a couple of relapses like what you alluded to and they suck, but I just kept pushing on 'till I got to 240mg and that seems to be the sweet spot so far.

Mary-

I'm glad to see you! It helps me to know that all of you are out there trying to do the same thing right now.

Caro-

I didn't know you were struggling with depression. There have been others who had to quit taking baclofen for that reason. I met Laurie65 when I first joined here and she had to do just that. The French prescribing literature discusses this a little, too. I also know that one of the "old-timers" terryk, had a couple of bouts with "life crushing" depression, but he was able to press on to indifference and managed to get through it. Hang in there! I am glad you are here chalking up some AF time with us.

Emily-

Dancing with the Devil? I was thinking the same thing, actually. I am so glad you suggested that we try to do this. I did just fine last night with the "near beer". No cravings, no problems and I slept like a baby. I am going to repeat the process tonight and hopefully many more. I hope everything evens out for you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X