Old Timers Respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Timers Respond

Lo0p;1534872 wrote: (it is 3:30 am here and I just woke up).
    That must be the reason, because Colin referred to it twice, right here in this thread, just a few posts before:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ml#post1534549

By the way, the theory behind it is not so difficult to explain: Alcoholics have a deficiency of GABA, which is directly related to the severity of alcohol dependency.
    (If the alcohol caused the dependency, or that the amount of consumed alcohol was adjusted to compensate the GABA deficiency, I cannot tell.)

Because baclofen mimics GABA, the dose of required baclofen is depending on the severity of GABA deficiency you have. This is not correlated to your body weight.

Conclusion: The more you had to drink, the more GABA deficiency you probably have and the more baclofen you have to take to compensate it.

However, SE's of baclofen do seem to be related to body weight.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Old Timers Respond

Hi Lo0P and Bleep - thanks for link loop. One day, I really want to spend some looking at all the research info and links you all have put together.

I usually don't bother looking for much more additional information if you, bleep, and some of the others post. However, this particular case, bleep made the statement regarding weight/BAC intake in such a way that I presumed he had data to supporting his conclusion. So, I decided to see if I could find the info myself.

In researching BACLOFEN dosage relative to weight, I accidentally came across the new patent application for "BACLOFEN and MEANTINE" for weight loss therapy. You may already know that memantine is used in Alzheimer's disease therapy. Anyway, the patent points out that the BACLOFEN dosage amount depends on a person's weight. In this case, weight may really be an issue relative to its therapeutic use. I still have to believe there is validity to what you all say regarding weight/dosage not being a factor -especially for BAC/alcoholism. I will read info in your link and wait to hear back from you guys.

The info in the patent application is:

"(2) This efficacy can be reached at a dose of baclofen that is lower than its usual therapeutic dose or falls in the lower end of the recommended dose range according to current labeling (Summary of Product Characteristics). Accordingly the stipulated anti-obesity dose range for baclofen is 5-40 mg/day depending on the weight of the patient."

However Lo0p, in their patent app, they say the range of BAC is from 5 to 160mg. I thought how great it is that they are referring to an amount twice the recommended.

What are your thoughts -please? (Cass/Ne/Otter/JD/others)

(JD -sorry for the semi-thread jack)

Comment

Old Timers Respond

My thoughts on your thread.
        :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
        :what?:
        sigpic
        Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
        A Forum
        Trolls need not apply

Comment

Old Timers Respond

My thoughts are what xadrian posted. I have no science to back it up. I'm just using common sense...

The switch is in ur brain and should have nothing to do with ur weight. But as far as the SEs, I weigh 230 and had unbearable SEs at 150. So I'm not sure that is true.

I hit my switch at 120, which proves what xadrian said. I think weight doesn't matter on any of it.
          When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Old Timers Respond

"The dosage required to exert the therapeutic effect can vary within wide limits and will be fitted to the individual requirements in each of the particular case, depending on the stage of the disease, the condition and the bodyweight of the patient to be treated, as well as the sensitivity of the patient against the active ingredient, route of administration and number of daily treatments. The actual dose of the active ingredient to be used can safely be determined by the attending physician skilled in the art in the knowledge of the patient to be treated."

Patent WO2013068774A1 - Therapeutic combination of memantine and baclofen and pharmaceutical ... - Google Patents

Newest baclofen patent information.

Comment

Old Timers Respond

JDizzle;1533595 wrote: I have really been questioning bac lately. I look back on where I was at 120 mg. I was doing VERY well. I screwed up and got really tanked and made some bad decisions. That real cool guy came out that wants to talk to everyone in a 10 mile radius... anyways, it was old school bad. I had drank successfully (a few beers) more than 10 times and unsuccessfully once. Usually that ratio is 0 successful and 10 unsuccessful. BUT, I felt like I failed and bac did not work because of that one time. I am rethinking that now. There is a vibe put out by old timers here that you hit your switch and never look back and never have an alcohol issue ever again.

So, us newcomers are lead to believe that if we fail once out of 11 attempts that we have failed. I don't believe this is the case. AND I dont believe this is a good thing to put out. I get the idea that "we" want to put out an image that bac is amazing, changes ur life, and there is never an issue again. I totally understand that and semi-support that train of thought. But, this seems also to make it so the newcomers (which are the people needing ur message) are receiving less than accurate information, and are being set up for failure.... at least in their minds. I just know all of the old timers have the best of intentions in their heart, but wonder if this is the best thing to do.

I guess what I am getting at ... is post switch rainbows and butterflies every time you drink? I assume a lot of old timers drink here and there still. If u r abstinent, ur just a ninja jesus. But what about the ones that do drink in moderation. Do you fuck up here and there? I mean, if you had told me I would go 1 for 11 on fuck ups, I would have thought ... oh sweet I didnt mess up once, but it was the other way around. That has to be the meds working...right?
              Hi,

Initially, the ability to control one's drinking as well as the effects of baclofen make one euphoric. Imagine taking a drug that relieves you of anxiety, and on top of that you have been able to stop drinking.

I would suggest reading the prescribing guide because you will get a flavor of what the doctors in France found in use on 1500 patients, that it is not all plain sailing, that there are a lot of problems sorting out a patient's life after they have stopped drinking and that many need additional drugs, like mirtazapine, maybe beta blockers.

And, yes, you relapse over and over so don't ever think that you are alone in that. Some old timers actually continue to drink socially. The way I think you look at this is that you have a very powerful weapon against this illness which you did not have before. It works, it is hard work and it changes people's lives but there is no map out there showing you where it is going to take you...and it doesn't help that there are so few doctors outside of France who are taking this seriously.

I hope that helps. I am, myself, on a magical mystery tour...I have no idea how it will end or where I will be. All I know is that I have a life and a future, which I did not have before baclofen came along.
              BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

GOOD INFORMATION Regarding Switch

I want to re-ignite this thread because I think that it can be very helpful to newcomers to the site and Baclofen.

I truly hope that others will add information to thread.

--sf--

Comment

Working...
                X