Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DR. AMEISEN -In Honor and Memory Fund

Hi All -
    Does anyone know if there is some type of "in honor/memory fund" set up for Dr. Ameisen? Although my funds are kind of slim right now, I would still like to send something in honor.
    I almost wish that our forum could set something up and send as group in a show of solidarity, honoring a man who saved so many lives.

Please contribute any ideas and lets do something, eace:

Lovely idea, spirit. I'm not sure how to organize something like that. Maybe there's something on the French forum - or there was a woman from that forum posting here a while ago. Perhaps she could make a suggestion about how we might make a meaningful contribution. I'll do some looking around.

In the meantime, I have been sitting with this, and staggered by how infinitesimally small, in the big picture of things, was the chance that I am free from drinking against my will through Dr. Ameisen's life. It brought this to mind, from Don Juan's teachings to Carlos Casteneda.

"All of us, whether we are warriors or not, have a cubic centimeter of chance that pops out in front of our eyes from time to time. The difference between a warrior and an average man is that a warrior is aware of this, and one of his tasks is to be alert, deliberately waiting, so that when his cubic centimeter pops up he has the necessary speed, the prowess, to pick it up."

I am speechless at the wonder that Dr. Ameisen so courageously picked up his cubic centimeter of chance - that his entire life had prepared hum for - thereby alerting me to a cubic centimeter of chance. and now, I never have to drink like that again.
    "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

RedThread12;1535536 wrote: Lovely idea, spirit. I'm not sure how to organize something like that. Maybe there's something on the French forum - or there was a woman from that forum posting here a while ago. Perhaps she could make a suggestion about how we might make a meaningful contribution. I'll do some looking around.

In the meantime, I have been sitting with this, and staggered by how infinitesimally small, in the big picture of things, was the chance that I am free from drinking against my will through Dr. Ameisen's life. It brought this to mind, from Don Juan's teachings to Carlos Casteneda.

"All of us, whether we are warriors or not, have a cubic centimeter of chance that pops out in front of our eyes from time to time. The difference between a warrior and an average man is that a warrior is aware of this, and one of his tasks is to be alert, deliberately waiting, so that when his cubic centimeter pops up he has the necessary speed, the prowess, to pick it up."

I am speechless at the wonder that Dr. Ameisen so courageously picked up his cubic centimeter of chance - that his entire life had prepared hum for - thereby alerting me to a cubic centimeter of chance. and now, I never have to drink like that again.
      Lovely post !

Comment

spiritwolf333;1535506 wrote: Please contribute any ideas and lets do something, eace:
        Maybe we could contact Olivier Ameisen's brother?
        Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

I have a couple of reactions to Spirit's excellent proposal...

1. Great idea. It is the right thing to do.

2. Contacting his brother sounds appropriate to me.

3. I think (but am not certain) that collecting funds as a group involves getting a bank account, getting a new taxpayer ID number, certifying in some way that the account is not part of a for profit venture (or else tax might be due), etc, etc. It can get complicated.

4. We might consider making individual donations to an existing charity (which already has the bank account and tax exempt status, etc.)

5. One possibility, and I am just throwing this out for consideration, is to ask the Foundation for Alcoholism Research (FAR) to establish a (sub)fund in Dr A's memory. Then we could all make a donation to that fund in his name.

6. I don't know much about FAR. Here is their URL: Foundation for Alcoholism Research | An All-Volunteer Public Charity. I only just found them online.

7. If you go on FAR's site and look at their news releases, they are already supporting a study on baclofen at the University of Pennsylvania and seeking additional contributions. See: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49641647,d.aWc. But, otherwise, I don't know anything about these folks.

What do you all think? Spirit? Xadrian? Lo0p, RT? Ne? Others? Should I/we make a contact?

Cass
          With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

In a PM.
            :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
            :what?:
            sigpic
            Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
            A Forum
            Trolls need not apply

Comment

CASS -thanks for the info and research. I think something like FAR would be great! I would like to send my individual donation in and somehow link it to my way out. Please just let me know what you and the others think.

Comment

Thanks for the quote red. I will have to steal that one.

Comment

Screw FAR (imo). We'd need a lawyer to draft specific terms on how the funds should be used.

Edit: maybe nevermind, I didn't read the entirety of Cass's post.
                  sigpic

A Forum
                  Trolls need not apply

Comment

I reached out in every way I can think of to find out where to send condolences and if there is a place where donations are being accepted in his name. I haven't heard back from anyone, but I wasn't really expecting to so soon.

The French forum has a thread dedicated to him which they are planning on sending to his widow. I've been told that she will receive condolences via his public email address: oameisen at hotmail.com.

It seems too paltry to me given the fact that Eric and I owe the man for a life unimagined when we were still drinking alcoholically. I owe him a debt of gratitude that could not be repaid. I will always regret not having told him that more recently.

I'm not online regularly right now. I would really appreciate it if someone will text or call me if there is a development or decision.

Comment

Will do.
                      sigpic

A Forum
                      Trolls need not apply

Comment

RedThread12;1535536 wrote: Lovely idea, spirit. I'm not sure how to organize something like that. Maybe there's something on the French forum - or there was a woman from that forum posting here a while ago. Perhaps she could make a suggestion about how we might make a meaningful contribution. I'll do some looking around.

Red, thanks much for this quote. This is one of a few that you've posted that I've copied/saved to refer to in the future. A lovely and inspiriational message.

Comment

I love the idea, Spirit- thanks for that. Also thanks Cass for looking around at various charities or avenues to donate.
                          I'll keep a close eye on this thread and see where the appropriate place to donate will be.

Comment

skullbabyland;1535773 wrote: I love the idea, Spirit- thanks for that. Also thanks Cass for looking around at various charities or avenues to donate.
                            I'll keep a close eye on this thread and see where the appropriate place to donate will be.
                            Hey Skull -Thanks. Somehow, it just seems like a good thing to do -individually, or as a group.

And Cass -again, thanks for stepping up to the plate.

Comment

Working...
                            X