Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice tapering baclofen

StuckinLA;1558349 wrote:

If you're in the middle of bac-panic or just feel like you absolutely MUST get off bac RIGHT NOW, and I've had those feelings too, just take a couple deep breathes. Bac is very safe, you haven't messed up your psyche or fried up your brains or anything like that. It's going to be OK but it's just going to take a little while. And once you know that, it's a lot easier to titrate off at a slow, steady, reasonable pace.
    Thanks. Yes, it helps to stay cool. And changing dosage too fast is not wise. In the moment, it is hard to distinguish whether it is me, the world, or Baclofen-titration-induced distortion of reality that causes all that dread.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

I agree. I do not take the advice of Internet strangers either. My physician titrated me up 60 mg the first day without hesitating. I had no issue with it. If u have issue with it, slow down...common sense.
      When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

I wonder: Is anybody out there who has started with Baclofen, increased the dosage to high levels, such as 200ish, then reduced, and finally quit. And... is happy now, unchanged, like: got his or her old self back.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

Hi everybody, regarding my last post: I (almost) managed to quit baclofen completely after more than 2 years on it, at a dosage of 130mg/day on average. Now, I take 10mg every second day, to help with the anxiety that can show up. I reduced from 125mg to 5mg in month.
          My sleep has much improved. I drink moderately, like one or two glasses of wine per day, never loose control. The main motivation to take it was anxiety anyway, not alcohol dependance. I miss the enthusiasm, power and joy that baclofen could give me - but this will return naturally when all withdrawal syndroms will have subsided, and my GABA-b system has recovered and adapted.
          The phase of tapering came with anxiety and depression, at a level that I could handle. It is still not quite over.
          I found an effective and simple method to reclaim my life that I can recommend and that is descibed here: John Sherman's Blog: The Looking: What it is, what it does, and how it works

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

I forgot to add: Picamilon helped somewhat with withdrawal, also exercise is very good. A tremendous help is to control my attention whenever possible. Many (negative) thoughts coming up just do not need further attention. This can be tricky as I used to "binge" and amply some thoughts.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

Now it has been a week since my last dose of baclofen (10mg).
              I feel anhedonic, exhausted and easily irritated. Not much energy to work, and sleep is not good.
              I have not increased alcohol consumption, but try to live a healthy life.
              Is this flat, indifferent mood due to Baclofen? I used to be quite enthusiastic and energetic on Baclofen.
              Does anyone have gone through similar situation and could offer some advice or reassurance that it will pass?
              Thanks a lot!

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

I've been on and off baclofen a couple of times in the past few years, and to me the effects disappeared entirely when I wasn't taking it. Saying that, the following may be of interest to you. When I came off baclofen last time, I continued to drink moderately, without overdoing it or drinking alcoholically. This was in stark contrast to my pre-baclofen drinking. Despite not taking any baclofen, my drinking remained okay for a period of about 6 or 8 months, after which point it rapidly dissolved in to a huge mess.

So there was definitely a carry over from baclofen for a while afterward. In terms of other SE's though, these began to fade the minute I began reducing my dose, and were entirely gone whilst still on a reduced dose.

Not actually sure if this has any bearing on your situation, but hopefully you can find something in here that helps.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

Peralik - I can't comment from personal experience on this one, but I've read about many people here who said they became depressed after titrating down on bac way too quickly. Going from 125 mg down to 5 mg in a single month is very fast and could definitely explain the anhedonia, exhaustion, and irritation you're experiencing. I'm not quite sure what the best course of action would be for you, but take heart that this is most likely part of a withdrawal syndrome, and not your normal emotional state. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck to you.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

Looking back on the last time I came off bac I think it might have been the cause of the terrible few weeks I went through. I came down from 125mg to zero in under 2 weeks and suffered a horrible time. I was drinking a shit load at the time and thought I was just going through alcohol withdrawals but there was differently more to it that booze. I went trough about 5 days of absolute hell and at one point I was getting quite worried. Thankfully it pasted but it wasn't something I want to go through again. When it comes to mental stuff I'm not great at coping though. Definitely go easy.

Comment

advice tapering baclofen

Thanks

Thank you for the kind support, it is helpful. It is good to hear that I might have gone too fast. While I am functional, I have to use self control to avoid the brooding and to manage daily tasks. As a test, I have taken 10mg. If there is relief, it is likely due to the fast taper. I have plenty of Baclofen, and there is less harm going slow. It is only my ambition that pushes me.

Comment

Working...
                      X