Long time no type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long time no type

I?ve been MIA for awhile. For some reason, I felt compelled the other day to check out MWO out of the blue. I?m glad to see that it?s still an active community and that there are still names I recognize. It was Terry?s 3 year update that got me thinking I should post an update of my own. Over the last 2 years, I?ve been derailed by some mysterious health issues that I have spent countless hours researching and attempting to get figured out. I?ve been to a lot of alternative practitioners, flushed away money on more supplements than I care to count, and I now know a LOT about leaky gut, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, candida overgrowth, the supreme importance of healthy gut flora, and what an important role an ancestral diet plays in overall health (and that?s just scratching the surface). Suffice it to say, I haven?t had room for much else, and my baclofen/alcohol situation has been stable for a long time now (well, at least I thought so).

I?ve been on baclofen for just over 3 years. I initially ordered it from a pharmacy in India, until I was sure that it worked. Then I took all of my findings to my doc, including Dr. Ameisen?s book. Thankfully he?s an open minded guy and agreed to prescribe baclofen for me. I?ve been getting it through him ever since. Despite my praise of how much it?s helped me, I?m pretty certain he?s not using it with any other patients. He left the titration schedule completely up to me. He doesn?t even ask me how it?s going when I see him sporadically for appointments, they just verify what prescriptions I?m still taking. Fine by me.
    I never wanted to be completely abstinent. It was always my goal to be able to drink occasionally, and also to be able to choose to not drink without any difficulty. And I found that balance with baclofen. There have been times that I?ve gotten into the habit of having a drink or two daily, but it wasn?t because I had a craving that was driving me crazy until I gave into it. My thought process was more along the lines of, ?Why not??. It really just got to be a habit, the way having a little something sweet after dinner is sometimes a habit. It was easy enough on some random day to just say, ?No, I really don?t want it.?

I found further reason to lean more towards abstaining completely the more I learned about leaky gut and all of the other aforementioned health issues. Alcohol is a primary cause of leaky gut. I?ve been tested for it, and my numbers were so high that my intestinal lining probably looks like swiss cheese. Continuing to drink while trying to heal my gut would be like throwing gasoline on the fire I?m trying to put out. So I decided to increase from my maintenance dose of baclofen, which is 80 mgs. Unfortunately, I?m no longer able to titrate up high enough to hit the switch. I had knee surgery last year, after which I took Vicodin for a few days. Ever since then, I?ve gotten tinnitus from much lower doses of baclofen than I ever did before. I used to be able to get up to about 160 before I even started hearing that slight buzz in my ears. Now I get that same low buzz at 120, which was my maintenance dose for a long time. I recently went up to 140 mgs, and it was intolerable. I also started waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go back to sleep (despite taking klonopin before bed). That insomnia SE has always been the same for me ? starts around 140 and gets increasingly worse as I titrate up. I?ve always had a hard time with between 160 and 200 mgs. In addition to the tinnitus and insomnia, I start getting anxiety and really dark thoughts. I withdraw socially. So even though I?ve gone high enough to hit the switch a couple of times, I can never stay at that dose because it?s too uncomfortable.
    I?ve found that with just the smallest modicum of initial willpower, 130 is enough to keep me mostly SE and (easily) AL free. I say ?initial willpower?, because once I get past the first few days, it?s very easy. I don?t even have to make a choice to not drink, because the thought doesn?t even pop into my mind. Sure, there have been some rough days here and there when I?ve thought, ?Of all days not to be drinking!?, but I look at these times as an opportunities to learn how to handle these situations without alcohol. It?s not just crappy days, it?s also some social outings (concerts, dinners, etc.) that are initially alien feeling without alcohol. I?ve actually found that I end up enjoying concerts more when I?m sober. I appreciate the details more. And it?s a hell of a lot cheaper. :H

Over the last year and a half, I?ve had quite a few chunks of time completely AL free - a month on numerous occasions. But I?ve found that in order to achieve the level of healing that I need, I?ll need to go a lot longer. I?ve actually started to see some improvements after this past abstinent month, and that?s all I need to keep me going. It was the lack of any noticeable results/improvements after being AF that would have me throwing my hands up in the air and saying ?F**k it!?. I didn?t see the point in being so strict when it wasn?t getting me anywhere. But now it?s starting to.

And that?s where I?m at now.

At the end of last year, I was in a pretty good place health wise after doing a strict gut healing protocol (the GAPS diet) for awhile, so I decided to titrate off of baclofen. That was a VERY bad idea. It was also just before the holidays were getting into full swing, which made it an even worse idea. It wasn?t long before the old cravings were back. I would be driving home from work and thinking about what drink I was going to make as soon as I got home. Drinking stopped being a choice again. I?d actually forgotten what it used to feel like. I started taking baclofen again after Christmas. I wonder if the gut issues have something to do w/the cravings for alcohol. It will be awhile before I plan on testing that hypothesis though!
    Better Living Through Chemistry

Switched at 180mgs of Baclofen on 1/31/11, and again on 10/8/11 at 200mgs.

Could've been a swan on a glassy lake, could've been a gull in a clipper's wake. Could've been a ladybug on a windchime, but she was born a dragonfly.
    ~Clutch

Long time no type

Hi, Is. Glad you're well-ish, at least as far as the booze/bac is concerned.

I'm not really around much, but couldn't resist posting because of the coincidence between what you've written about your gut health and what was written on another thread in the last day or so:

terryk;1564517 wrote: Questioning Answers: Just wondering about CM-AT and autism

"The details are still a little but sketchy about CM-AT in terms of exactly what it is and how it is supposed to benefit people with autism, some people with autism, but there are some clues in the literature so far. We know for example, that the formulation is intended as an enzyme-replacement therapy with autism in mind (see this excerpt published in*Nature) which is probably designed to act on/supplement one or more enzymes; perhaps enzymes used in protein/peptide/amino acid metabolism? The digestive enzyme chymotrypsin seems to be a fairly big component of CM-AT as per the recent abstract reporting results at*IMFAR 2012* and some details about the patent which has been filed (here). We even know that the results of a phase III randomised, placebo-controlled trial of CM-AT have been completed*according to the ClinicalTrials.gov entry."
    I followed that article to another article, and that to another...Very interesting stuff, but the brief mention of proteins is all that is relevant (maybe) to what you're talking about. (here: Enzyme replacement for autism? : Drugmakers dance with autism : Nature Biotechnology : Nature Publishing Group)

Comment

Long time no type

HI Isolde,
      Welcome back. Wanted to say that there's a group of people going for a sober October. You could check out the thread on the Starting Out section and the General Discussion. I find the reinforcement of checking in with others helps.

All best
      Free at Last
      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Long time no type

Good to hear from you Isolde.
        I have titrated much lower on baclofen. I considered dropping it but your story inspires me to stay on at my low dose (120). That's about 1/2 of my switch.

Hang in there and start again. I'm not on here much either but hanging in there.

Take care.

Comment

Long time no type

Isolde, good to hear from you. Although I achieved it via TSM not baclofen, I have also begun to find I enjoy social events much more without alcohol. Initially I wanted abstenance, but when TSM made it ok and safe for me to drink I thought perhaps I can do this, join in socially or whatever but I ended up drinking only because I could, and finding myself feeling worse on it, I just didn't like drinking alcohol and the effect it had on me.

I was out at the weekend at a social/clubbing/music type event, danced and chatted on for hours until 2am on nothing more than 2 cans of diet coke. I felt really, really relaxed, not pre-occupied with the substance that is alcohol and how it was making me feel, how much I should or shouldn't drink, could I drive or not.

My shoulders, face, neck, legs and entire body were completely relaxed. It was remarkable.

I believe these medications give us a chance, a chance to get over the physical dependency, break free and a chance to learn how to live without alcohol, that's the tough bit but it's the bit that's going to keep you free from the booze. Alcohol is also a poison (the health benefits are mostly concocted anyway)and if you think about it it's crazy to continue drinking it if you are happy without it.
          I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Long time no type

Isolde, it is nice to see your name pop up again.

I have been side lined by a move to Cyprus in August and now with the realization that I was going blind. I got into a bit of a state because I was getting more and more shortsighted so I went to see a doctor instead of an optician and found I have a cataract. I thought it was something that only happened in India to really old people. The medical care is great here. Just drove up to an eye clinic, parked under a tree and went it. Diagnozed in a couple of minutes and the op is next Wednesday. It makes it difficult to spend much on a computer as I can only see through the one eye. Oh well. Otherwise, all is well, bac working.

I am now convinced that in time the "white matter" repairs itself as per the Boston University Med School studies and the underlying illness does go away to a large extent, in which case, baclofen is a cure in the real sense in that it stops heavy drinking and allows the healing process to take place. At least that's my opinion and I am sticking with it.
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Long time no type

Hi Isolde

Glad to hear you are doing ok, all things considered.

Best wishes,

Cassander
              With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Long time no type

Who? :yay:
                :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                :what?:
                sigpic
                Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                A Forum
                Trolls need not apply

Comment

Long time no type

I think it is important that all of us who have been here for a few years keep checking back in periodically. A lot of people drop out of sight and it may give the impression that Bac doesn't work. The opposite is actually the case. It is just that there are a lot of other things to do after achieving sobriety and the forum becomes less important and maybe even a distraction but it is important that people coming to the forum know that it does work and that there are people out there in advanced stages of recovery. My own view now is that baclofen dampens the alcoholic craving but that it is a natural process of healing which takes place in the brain which results in recovery so that one goes back to a state like when one was a child and didn't like the taste of drink or getting drunk.
                  BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Long time no type

Isolde!

Great to hear from you. Your story has a lot of parallels that ring bells for me (surprise!). Not the leaky gut thing, thankfully for me, but the decision to drink, not drink, etc.. I'm busy debating it at the moment, and am getting sick of the debate, so am on the verge of just packing the whole thing in. As you say, it's just the first couple of days that are... tricky? Not difficult, just different.

Anyway, that was a well timed post for me, thanks. And nice to hear that you are sorting shit out.

Comment

Long time no type

Hi Isolde-nice to meet you. I am very glad to read stories like yours -these reports add additional layers of encouragement and experience to my baclofen journey.

And OTTER makes a really valid and important point. The stability brought forth by the more senior members is critical to the newcomers (maybe even life life altering to the new baclofen taker). And we all get complacent in many different areas and damn I know I have many times -especially concerning alcohol.

Your statement ”you forgot what it was like not to have a choice” regarding alcohol intake. Wow, it's only been a few months for me since I have thought about that issue -and what a huge issue. Thanks for checking in and sharing your experience.

Comment

Long time no type

speachless;1566406 wrote: With all due respect Otter, unfortunatelly relaps is the name of the game here IMO and the effectivnes of baclofen for alcohol cravings is highly questionable according to the history and testimonials of this forum.
                        desperados;1363258 wrote:
                        fuck I'm hammered and yet so nothing to be proud of
                        -tk
                        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Working...
                        X