Antabuse Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Forum

I have beenon AB for 5 weeks and it appears to be a miracle pill, however has been confirmed my breath stink of garlic. So I started thinking how powerful is this pill if just 250mg can change the smell of your breath even alcohol wears off ? So I looked for a forum and found one that was a bit of an eye opener. Some countries court order people to take it or they get sent to jail so there having a rant although I would imagine they would of been given a choice of the 2, Someone claims it does more damage to the liver than alcohol? another claims her brother had a mental breakdoen drinking on it and killed his girlfriend. I am a bit worried I gone into this without proper research?. It seemed such a simple but effective cure to my drinking
    Its easier not to start than stop

Antabuse Forum

Hi GMC, which forum was this? Were these the views of "the man on the street" or "medical experts"? There are always horror stories for anything, you hardly hear about the positives.
    I'm taking a very small dose & haven't experienced any side effects, but I also have no intention of drinking while taking it, so, in theory, I shouldn't get any SE.

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Hi mlisa, no not medical people just a forum called topix. I should not of posted this really but was having a bit of a panic attack lol. I have been on AB for 6 weeks now and I had a blood test that came back as normal yesterday and that included the liver function so that has put my mind at rest as far as liver damage because of AB. I was expecting comments on my liver and kidneys with which I was going to make an appointment with the doctor for a chat about my drinking and AB but when it came back clear I did not know what to say as I had not planned for that lol

Comment

Antabuse Forum

That's great news! What dose are you taking? I'm just taking 2 125mg a week. I had a sip of cider the other day (4 days after my last pill) & my face went really flushed, that was just from a sip!
        I'm finding it tough though, the cravings are mental. How are you feeling?

Comment

Antabuse Forum

My hubby takes 250 mg. Once a week. It almost seems like a miracle to me. He has 60 + days af now. He is a really tough nut to crack and this is amazing to me. No garlic breath. His breath is the best it's Ben in years. No side effects I can see. Some initial tiredness but was that the ab or his body healing?.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Antabuse Forum

I was on 250mg a day when I smelt like I had a phobia with vampires. I found the first 4 weeks very easy but I am struggling now. I see another post with WTF now and thats me. I have only done 125mg this week and that was Monday and I have strarted counting the days already. I think if I am going to permanently kick alocohol I am going to need to join a support group where I can go for a bit when I am bored and having a moment. I was sizing up a bottle of cough mixture last weekend which is not good. The problem I have is not the stopping drinking but replacing the time I did doing it with something interesting

Comment

Antabuse Forum

gmc- excuse me (no offence I hope) but I am wondering if with the 'all clear' blood tests you are giving yourself permission to start drinking again. Thats what I was like for years. I would get bad liver tests back - stop or cut down on drinking - get 'normal' results and then start drinking again - and guess what - the bad liver tests would return. And get worse each time. You don't want this.

Since AB is not hurting your liver/kidneys - you should keep taking it. By all means reduce the dose but take it regularly - not less. And getting to a support group - sounds like a good idea - as does finding some new absorbing interests - or rekindling old ones that you let slip because AL took over.

You are doing really well in your sobriety as do keep it up.

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Hi again gmc (and others like Beagle here) - if you really want to quit why don't you pop into the
                Monthly Abstinence forum and our daily AF abstinence threads. I usually start this each day but not always.
                We are a group made up of old alkies from all over the world in various stages of tossing AL out of our lives and we are all crazy. We live very full lives and give each other lots of support. I think you would enjoy a visit! :welcome:

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Mlisa,

May I ask how long you've been on the 125 mg of AB, twice per week? My neighbor, a closet alcoholic who refuses to join here, just told me that she took two doses of 125 mg. of AB in the last week, and she wants to know how soon she can drink. Since she's only taken it twice, her question is, does she really have to wait two weeks to drink or would a week do? If anyone could let me know, I would appreciate it. So would she.:thanks: I will send you a PM if that's ok, just in case you don't see my post. Thank you.

gmc:goodjob: on your sobriety. Keep it up.

Little Beagle-that is wonderful news about your husband. I love reading posts like yours.

Tree-I secretly follow you on the Daily Abs Thread. I post regularly on the Monthly Abs Thread because I have friends there. You always give good advice.

Comment

Antabuse Forum

I would like to know if anyone knows how to get antabuse in Canada?
                    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                    Lao-Tzu

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Hey, Sober, Not sure if this is what you are looking for in the way of direction but here ya go:

http://www.tabscanada.com/buy-antabuse-usa.html

I have never ordered from there personally, FYI

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Sober Soul,
                        You can order from River Pharmacy (advertised on this website), which is based in Canada.
                        Free at Last
                        "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                        http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Rusty - I just saw this. Your neighbor needs to wait at least 4-5 days. Been there, done that. I stopped taking AB a couple of times because I was in that mindset. How long until I can drink. Not a good thing. I am taking it again now and it is a positive thing. Doing it for the right reasons.

Sober - I'm sorry I don't know how you can get it in Canada. I hope you can find it. It is really helping me. I'm sorry I can't help. :h
                          "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Antabuse Forum

Nora, and Mlisa (via PM),

Thank you for responding so quickly. This is the first time she has tried to quit drinking and she is 70 years old. She told me she's been drinking a bottle of wine or more per night for the last 30 years. I asked her why she wanted to start drinking again, and it's because the new man in her life (he's 83) drinks and she misses her Chardonnay. Ah yes, that was my drink of choice, too, until the wine didn't give me the buzz I wanted...so I started dirty dancing with Johnny Walker Black (scotch). I'm glad those days are over.

Comment

Working...
                            X