Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the resistance against meds in some quarters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously we are all big believers in modern medicine here in breaking the addiction cycle, but why is it in some quarters people are so anti-medication and so vicious toward people who use meds for that purpose?

I posted a thread on prescription abstinence meds on another forum that shall remain nameless and was bombarded with posts from people who self-righteously declared they don't need meds to stay alcohol-free and that the "high" the medications provide are just a crutch keeping me from dealing with my "real" problems (whatever those may be). Of course this is absurd because who gets "high" on baclofen or campral, or naltrexone for that matter? What is it that these people see that is so wrong with those of us who choose not to needlessly suffer and take medication to overcome our addiction???
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

I agree Alky. I have been an Antabuse for years and I've had this conversation many times. It's not a "crutch"...it's a TOOL that I choose to use. If it's available and it works, why not use it? White-knuckling it does not earn any brownie points, nor does it make a person more sober than a person using a tool, whether that be medication, hypnotherapy, accupuncture or wishing on a star. I say if it works...use it!
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I used baclofen for a short amount of time but found that I was still drinking...even on it. So for me, it wasn't doing the trick. For me...it's a mental thing. However, I think that everyone has their own journey and I don't look down upon anyone's desire to get sober and whatever works for them works. I don't have the right to cast judgment on anyone's journey. I am just thankful for this forum and the people on it. I say more power to you and anyone else that has found something that works.

Comment

Oh and PS - LOVE Your Chris Farley guy!!! LOL!

Comment

I'm probably going to regret chipping in even these 2 cents, but it's the whole "spiritual malady" 12-step thing that gets in the way of a rational discussion of meds. VERY little has demonstrably helped in addiction recovery, but the accepted "wisdom" is that AA and the 12 steps are the only thing that "really" works, and that's all based on the higher power and whatnot. Very anti-meds. And since no one knows WTF to do (everyone from docs to judges just ships people over to AA), the anti-med people win the discussion by default. With the added benefit of blaming the addict for not recovering.

Comment

I briefly tried naltrexone a few years back and it certainly did not give me a high -quite the opposite. I lost all feeling and desire to do anything.
            (that was just my reaction so I am not saying this to put people off Nal).

As others say - if the meds are a tool that helps with sobriety - thats great.

Years ago I also went to an AA meeting and got condemned for being on an anti-depressant. The feeling there was that I should 'white-knuckle' everything including severe depression.

Fortunately I made my own mind up about this -(including Nal) for me!

Comment

We could talk about it on the phone if you want. I've been up and down that road quite a few times.

Please don't tell me you're subjecting yourself to the personalities at soberrelapsery.com
              :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
              :what?:
              sigpic
              Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
              A Forum
              Trolls need not apply

Comment

Haha, no, I was kicked off of "sober relapsery" for "dispensing medical advice." Someone posted a question (this was way before I discovered MWO) about insomnia meds. I hope they followed my advice, despite me getting kicked off because they were asking about valium and seroquel. I explained why benzos were bad for recovering alcoholics, and then I explained they probably would want to avoid seroquel, too, given it's an antipsychotic. I then went on to explain that if they were looking for a cheap, generic insomnia med, 50-100mg of trazodone was probably the way to go since traz isn't cross-tolerant with alcohol. And then I got a nasty message saying I violated the terms of service by dispensing medical advice and that my account was being terminated. Best thing they ever did, because I probably wouldn't have found you guys otherwise.

No, again, I'm not going to mention the forum, but I stumbled across a post by someone stating that they were leaving the forum because they just felt they were never going to get any better. I then posted a message asking this person if they had ever consulted a psychiatrist or physician about available medications and briefly described how bac, campral, nal, topa and antabuse work. That's what brought out the chorus of harpies. Worse yet, the person the message was intended for never acknowledged the post. I like K9's term "white knuckling it." It's sad so many people think that's what recovery is all about.
                In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

As long as so many people remained convince that alcoholism -addictions- or a moral flaw in the human system, you will continue to hear how meds should not be used. When talking to others who are non-medicated-so called recovered, I always try to compare taking other meds for other health conditions.

And we on baclofen have to try and remember that many of those long time 12 steppers have had to suffer for years to stay sober. It's the only way they know to stay sober, and in their eyes, their way is the only way. They have to stay afraid of alcohol to stay sober. What a way to live?

Comment

“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation”
                    -Spencer

Comment

spiritwolf333;1578439 wrote: ?There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation?
                      -Spencer
                      I used that quote on soberrelapsery.com almost 4 years ago. :H

They don't like me much there.
                      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                      :what?:
                      sigpic
                      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                      A Forum
                      Trolls need not apply

Comment

No, that's a dreadful site, imo. I was told much the same thing.

The problem with meds lies in the perception of alcoholism as a moral failing or lifestyle choice. Somebody has already pointed this out earlier in the thread though.

Comment

I started off in the sub forum /r/stopdrinking: a support group in your pocket! . Most people there are AA preachers. As an athiest i just can't swallow it. steps 5-7 just make me cringe:

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
                          6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
                          7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

When someone screws up the response is "your not working the steps!" what the hell does that even mean with those mentioned steps. you can "work" those steps in your head in a few sentences but they wont do you any good.

I never found any answers on there and hit google, ended up here trying to find info on naltrexone. read up about baclofen and that sounded like a better idea.

Medication has its place with this disorder, we treat GAD and compulsive behaviors with drugs, alcoholism is often related to anxiety disorders, i know mine certainly is. so why not be open minded to treat it with medication.
                          01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

12 step programs are thinly disguised social engineering, and people are loathe to let go of it. I remember when I was hospitalized for acute depression and suicidiality after my breakup was thrown in with the detoxers. The nurses in the ward were recovered addicts and tried to frame any reason anyone was in there as an "addiction". One particular exchange stands out as the most insulting thing I have ever endured:

"Now while you're in here I want you to focus on your spiritual development."

"But I'm not religious."

"Not religious" Her eyes glowed, as if she was going to tell me something I had never heard before. "Spiritual"

"What does that even mean?"

"It can be anything you want it to mean"

"Well how about nothing then?"

The intent was transparent. We would come into the ward from all walks of life and leave holding hands 12 stepping and kum-ba-yahing into the sunset having been dragged down to the same insipid level. Her insistence that the whole process was not "religious" was complete bullshit- why would she see the need to recruit if that were not the case? I don't believe in aliens, I don't believe in homeopathy, I am not spiritual. The dead giveaway was how evasive she was in even defining what "spiritual" meant- because it either didn't mean anything or it was't religion just by virtue of not being called so.

I kept my mouth shut- they were, after all, the ones who decided when to let me out.

I've got a scathing work of satire in mind on this subject- think I'll whip it up tonight.

Comment

Ugh..Fred, that story reminds me of the movie 28 days with Sandra Bullock. I cringe when I watched that movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X