Buspar/buspirone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buspar/buspirone?

Anyone have any experience with this? It's an anti-anxiety, unrelated to and without the same risks as long-term benzodiazepine use.

Buspar/buspirone?

Hi Palladium --

Your signature line says: ?Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.? -- Damage, Josephine Hart

This is so true (at least in many contexts)...It sounds like Nietzsche's "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"...but I am not familiar with Josephine Hart. Has she expanded on her idea? If so, please explain.

Cheers

Cassander
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Buspar/buspirone?

I use Buspar along with Prozac and Cymbalta. I've noticed a big difference since my doctor added Buspar...a positive difference, I should clarify
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Buspar/buspirone?

I too was looking to add buspar to augment by current zoloft usage and baclofen. currently i take diazepam, its the only thing that works for my GAD but obviously i cant keep doing this long term. Buspar on the wikipedia page says it has similar effectiveness to treat GAD as benzos which is what really gave it promise to me.

Now to see if a doctor will prescribe or i have to order online again like with baclofen
        01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Buspar/buspirone?

Ne:l,

It's been a while since I've checked in here. How the hell are you? To answer your question, I took Buspar (prescribed by my doctor and I got the real thing in the US) to relieve anxiety when I was studying for the LSAT. It does work...made me kind of mellow but a little fuzzier than Baclofen. It's been years since I've taken it, though.

Comment

Buspar/buspirone?

Palladium;1581376 wrote: Damage

You survive that many times that eventually you learn that surviving is something your rather good at. And your knowing that makes it easier for you to keeping moving forward, weathering the storm. It makes you feel, not quite invincible, but you know you die hard. And that?s what makes you dangerous?because you know you can survive.
            And perhaps your opponents who have not survived this type of journey should be on guard. Though they become less important after survival of a few of these storms.

Comment

Buspar/buspirone?

Ne/Neva Eva;1581112 wrote: Anyone have any experience with this? It's an anti-anxiety, unrelated to and without the same risks as long-term benzodiazepine use.
              I used Buspar for years and it worked great. My main symptom from my GAD is a constant feeling of tension in my stomach. I was put on priolsec and other GERD medications because the MD didn't know what I had, but when that didn't work I was referred to a gastroenterologist. He did a endoscopy and told me he didn't find anything wrong (like an ulcer, etc.) and stated matter of factly, "you are suffering from anxiety." It was such a relief finally knowing what was wrong with me. I went to a psychologist and she diagnosed me with GAD and PTSD and suggested either Zoloft or Buspar. I went back to my MD and she started me on Zoloft. I ended up having constant diarrhea from it so I had to go off. After starting the Buspar it really did the trick. You can feel a little bit dizzy as it "uptakes" into your system the first half hour or so, but other than that I did not have any side effects. One way I dealt with the dizzyness was to take the morning dose before I got out of bed. I tend to wake up before it's time to get up so I would have the pill on the side table next to my bed with water and I would take it then. The second dose was taken before I went to bed so that took care of that. You may not even have that side effect and really it wasn't that bad. Anyway, for some reason after it working for five years it seemed to stop working. However, this was during a time of EXTREME stress - a falling out with a family member days before my son's wedding. On top of that menopause reared it's ugly head with a new host of symptoms, so I was really dealing with a lot at that time. I ended up going off of it and back on clonazapam. It has now been almost a year and if Baclofen does not help my anxiety I plan to try Buspar again. I want to wait though and see if I get anxiety relief from the Bac first - I am on my second week. Anyway, I hope that helps. I highly recommend trying it and I don't think most doctors would have any problem prescribing it. My doctor was really good about giving me a pretty generous prescription for it so if I needed to up the dose she let me do that on my own, vs. the clonazapam which she limits how much I get which I think may have to do with the fact that it can be habit forming and Buspar is not. Also, I think one person posted about tiritating slowly and maybe that was for tiritating up to the dose that works for you, which I did, but my doctor also told me it wasn't a problem to stop using it without tiritating back down. I only did this once or twice and didn't have any negative side effects from abruptly stopping. At least that was my experience, so I may be wrong on that. I know most drugs you have to go off slowly (like anti depressants and Benzo's, etc.), but Buspar is in a different class of it's own. Sorry for the ramble! Good luck!
              Kim

Comment

Working...
              X