Gabapentin, your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Doctors Are Testing An Epilepsy Drug For Alcoholism : Shots - Health News : NPR

Anybody try solely Gabapentin? VS Bac and its nasty SEs?

I have taken Gabapentin up to 2400 mgs/day for years.

It did nothing to help me with my drinking.

I has done an amazing job of keeping my cluster headaches at bay.

Sorry. I wish it was a magic bullet.

Who knows. It might be for you, though. We all have different chemistries.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

So it just helps for hangovers ... Basically?

Comment

No. Not a bit for hangovers.

For cluster headaches.

A whole different animal.
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

It's supposed to help with mood, anxiety, and maybe depression. I've taken up to 1200mg in a day and didn't feel anything that I noticed. Maybe some mood improvement but hard to say.

Comment

I was on Gabapentin for about a month before switching to Topa, and never got to a very high dose. I can't say it did anything for cravings, but I didn't have any side effects either. Not a very helpful response I suppose

Comment

From what I've read, it looks like there is something about anti-seizure meds that helps with abstinence. I don't know a lot more about it than that, though. For instance, I don't know if it's a specific class of medications, or if it's a whole range of them but that they are all used to treat seizure disorders. What I do know is that there are several studies that have shown that Gabapentin/Neurontin (and others) increases the rates of abstinence in research. (Not the gabapentin that is a supplement, but the actual medicine.)

Forgive the question, because I could probably just look it up if you posted about it, but weren't you the one in a sober house in/near SF? What happened? (Please feel free not to answer, or even to tell me to mind my own business!)

Comment

I might give it a shot if I remember to. I have plenty of gabapentin lying around.

Comment

Working...
                X