Different Protocols for Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alky;1584601 wrote: Didn't expect to see any mention of the Golem on here. You a member of the "tribe" as well? I loved that line from Dr. A.'s book where his mother tells him "Jews aren't shikkers."
    lol. Nope. I misspelled Gollum from The Lord of the Rings. But honestly, it's probably more appropriate, and I'm not really a LOTR aficionado (obviously!).

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1583234 wrote: Hell, "they" are still thinking we can pray the drink away. Didn't work for me. How about you?
      :H
      Hey, so actually I did "pray" and got off 30 year crack addiction with no cravings or thoughts for 2 years, but then fell into problems again once I left working for the church and got a regular job. my wife kept on praying, I had a bad relapse followed by 1 year off the drugs, more relapses the next year, and then 1 year off drugs, then relapses. but my wife kept praying and having faith and by miraculous happenings, she came upon baclofen and believes God answered her prayers by showing her this "cure" treatment and so yes, God is still in the business of miracles and delivering people, just sometimes answers that prayer by leading people to the help they need. I am still prayerful that now that I am embarking on this treatment, it will work and hit my switch. thanks for listening!

Comment

in the book, it says olivier went up 20 mg every 3 days until 270 mg for 12 days. then back down to 120 mg maintenance. i want to do it that way. already at 100 mg/day

any thoughts?

Comment

Matthew, I'm personally not a prayer sort of person, but I do acknowledge that the spiritual angle is important to many in recovery. That said, there is a forum on this board called "What we believe" and I think that posts of that nature would be more appropriate there than here.
          In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

935matthew;1585155 wrote: in the book, it says olivier went up 20 mg every 3 days until 270 mg for 12 days. then back down to 120 mg maintenance. i want to do it that way. already at 100 mg/day

any thoughts?
            In the book it says that he took baclofen for a year or so before he titrated down and then back up again. He was completely sober at the time. He also said that he didn't experience any side effects other than afternoon somnolence.

There's been quite a bit of research since the book. And many, many more people have tried it. I would suggest taking a look at the French prescribing guide to use as a resource when thinking about how much to take and on what schedule.

Comment

935matthew;1585154 wrote: Hey, so actually I did "pray" and got off 30 year crack addiction with no cravings or thoughts for 2 years, but then fell into problems again once I left working for the church and got a regular job. my wife kept on praying, I had a bad relapse followed by 1 year off the drugs, more relapses the next year, and then 1 year off drugs, then relapses. but my wife kept praying and having faith and by miraculous happenings, she came upon baclofen and believes God answered her prayers by showing her this "cure" treatment and so yes, God is still in the business of miracles and delivering people, just sometimes answers that prayer by leading people to the help they need. I am still prayerful that now that I am embarking on this treatment, it will work and hit my switch. thanks for listening!
              I pray. I find prayer and/or meditation to be a really beneficial aspect of my sober, mostly contented life. But it didn't help cure my disease. The disease of addiction is one of brain chemistry, not belief or will power. That's why taking medication actually treats the disease. What you (or I!) do with that freedom is completely up to you (and I).

Cheers.

Comment

935matthew;1585154 wrote: Hey, so actually I did "pray" and got off 30 year crack addiction with no cravings or thoughts for 2 years, but then fell into problems again ...
                Welcome to the forum, Matthew. Pray away! But don't forget to take your medication to treat the disease of addiction. It makes all the difference between abstinence and treatment.

935matthew;1585155 wrote:
                in the book, it says olivier went up 20 mg every 3 days until 270 mg for 12 days. then back down to 120 mg maintenance. i want to do it that way. already at 100 mg/day

any thoughts?
                Two thoughts: Ameisen was on baclofen for a year before he started experimenting. I really think it might be wise to read A LOT around here before deciding to follow that very aggressive titration schedule.

There has been quite a bit of research since the book was published. (And some even before the book was published.) There is also a lot of anecdotal evidence and several examples of titration. I suggest looking at the French protocol for titration. Also, as I mentioned, reading around here and coming up with a plan will really help.

Comment

hi cali,

regarding the side effects. Somnolence is the most noticeable really, I find myself falling asleep on occassions at work. It always forewarns you though, so when you feel it coming, just get up and move around and that will alleviate it, keeping busy, if possible is very good. other side effects include very shallow breathing which can seem very disturbing and worrying but from what I've read on these forums is to be expected and having gone through them is entirely manageable. I've also had bouts of itchiness over my entire body, not all the time and they seem to be subsiding. I've also had restless legs in my sleep and sometimes serious jitters in my shoulder as well though I do have something trapped in there. other SE's include a heightened sense of smell, a heightened sense of hearing, a silky lining feel in my throat (which makes it easier to smoke).

i drank quite a lot on bac til i cut it our completely. approx 15-20 units per evening. This, I realised after I had stopped, increased the SE's and since I've stopped drinking (24 days now) these have all vastly reduced. I also had night sweats and my sleeping pattern has changed so much that I can now function on as little as 4-5 hours sleep and feel fine (lack of sleep is another SE). There may be other effects that people are having which I'm not but I think all of the ones i am having are par for the course for almost everyone who's giving baclofen a go.

Comment

Matthew, unless you are using bac under a physician's direct supervision, I think the prudent course would be to take it slower. I'm on my third week on bac and I am only at 50mg/day divided up over three doses. This is the titration schedule Dr. L. was dispensing shortly before his troubles started. While bac has been nothing short of miraculous for many, it's not a miracle to such a degree that it's going to cure you overnight. I believe I messaged Dr. L's titration schedule to you.
                    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                    X