More Gaba...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Gaba...

I wondered where to put this, but I gathered this forum section is specifically interested in all things GABA.

Prof. David Nutt wrote an article in The Guardian about alcohol substitutes that would target the GABA system, but without the toxins or side effects.

Article here.

I'm not sure I would jump at it myself if it becomes available - it took me enough effort to quit the "real" stuff - but it might be a life saver for many that can't manage abstinence.

One of the reasons Nutt is afraid of abstinence is because relapses can potentially be lethal - see the famous case of Amy Winehouse, as explained by David Nutt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuGHWWaFig[/video]]in this video.

I'm sure the science will get there in the end, I just wondered: would you go for it if it would be a)available b)legal c)inexpensive?

More Gaba...

Chief Bromden;1590563 wrote:
    Prof. David Nutt wrote an article in The Guardian about alcohol substitutes that would target the GABA system, but without the toxins or side effects.
    So basically he wants to make a new drug? One that won't make us sick. One that won't make us crash the car? Or make us feel three feet thick?

I'm pretty sure that if developed a GABA anything it would be regulated like any other medication. But before that, it would probably be like the other GABA drugs that were a free-for-all until they were legislated or whatever.

Yeah, good luck with that.

And no. Not looking for a high.

Thanks for posting that.

Comment

More Gaba...

IIRC, I'm pretty sure that the concoction is a benzo cocktail that can readily be reversed with Flumazenil. Problems (like tolerance, dependence, addiction) might arise in folks that don't want to "come down" and keep taking more and more of the drug to stay "buzzed."

-tk

EDIT: Bretazenil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Nutt from the University of Bristol has suggested bretazenil as a possible base from which to make a better social drug, as it displays several of the positive effects of alcohol intoxication such as relaxation and sociability, but without the bad effects such as aggression, amnesia, nausea, loss of coordination, liver disease and brain damage. The effects of bretazenil can also be quickly reversed by the action of flumazenil, which is used as an antidote to benzodiazepine overdose,[1] in contrast to alcohol for which there is no effective and reliable antidote.
      TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

More Gaba...

Like I said.

just sayin'

Comment

More Gaba...

Funny. My old AA sponsor was just talkin about this dude the other night. Something about a sober up pill. I asked him what about us that wouldn't want to sober up.
          When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

More Gaba...

Bretazenil is indeed one of the drugs they want to investigate.

Ne/Neva Eva;1590709 wrote:
            And no. Not looking for a high.
            And that to me was the crux. First reaction was "wow, great". Then you start to think what your addictive mind would do with that. Ugh. Even without the hangover, there's still a "coming down" (unless you want to be intoxicated the whole time, which again is a strong possibility), which will mess with your mind.

I think one of the reasons why baclofen works (and yes, I know it doesn't work for everyone) is that it manages to work on the GABA system without creating a "high".

I don't think he's advocating a new drug BTW. He has worked for the British government as a consultant (but got fired, mostly for saying that horseback riding is exactly as dangerous as MDMA...), and his studies consistently show alcohol to be the most lethal drug with the biggest cost to society and to the user. So there is certainly a benefit to having a non-toxic version around. OTOH, that might attract people into intoxication who now shun away because of the bad hangovers, health issues etc. But I suppose that would have to be balanced against an estimated 2.5 million deaths a year (currently).

Anyway, it does allow for some good thought experiment. Like Nelz, I think I'm pretty much done with "highs".

Comment

More Gaba...

Chief Bromden;1590923 wrote: and his studies consistently show alcohol to be the most lethal drug with the biggest cost to society and to the user.
              That's nicotine. By far. Worldwide. Nicotine kills more people, more quickly, and costs society much more than booze or any of the other top drugs of abuse combined. Just an interesting FYI. And yep, I still smoke.

Comment

Working...
              X