Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gene mutation related to excessive drinking (in mice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cause of the excessive drinking was tracked down to single base-pair point mutations in the gene Gabrb1, which codes for the beta 1 subunit, an important component of the GABAA receptor in the brain. This receptor responds to the brain?s most important inhibitory chemical messenger (GABA) to regulate brain activity. The researchers found that the gene mutation caused the receptor to activate spontaneously even when the usual GABA trigger was not present.

A gene mutation for excessive alcohol drinking found - Press Office - Newcastle University

Thanks for posting this.. it's very interesting and to me makes a lot of sense.
    Another thing I learnt recently is the differences between cultures with regard to drinking. I have lived in Asia for quite some time and have always been amazed at how few Asians ( women in particular) drink.. not so much because they don't want to but because they can't - they are allergic to it!! It seems that it has been evolutionary.. Hundreds of years ago in the cold, Europeans began fermenting food and producing ethanol to drink to keep warm whereas in Asia they didn't do this, they began experimenting with different types of tea which they do to this day, hence they never got used to the poison that alcohol is. We did get used to it....
    Hence one of my friends only has to have a couple of sips of booze before the tip of her nose goes bright red, an indication of the poison she has consumed...
    mmm...will be interesting to see over time how that changes
    Thanks again for the post
    Patrice

Comment

And..............Ha!
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Fascinating stuff. People who haven't been down our road just can't understand. They say, "you know this behavior is self-destructive - why do you do it?" I know if I drink to excess, I'll still be drunk in the morning and perpetuate the cycle. I know it'll lead to missed work. I know it might lead to more blackouts and falls. Yet if I start, I have to chase that buzz further and further. Given that it's completely illogical to the rational mind, I'm convinced there has to be something deeper that drives us to do something we know is harmful to us and those around us. And again, that's what people who haven't been down this road don't understand. They don't get that many of us DO RECOGNIZE that what we're doing is wrong (and there are many that don't). We just can't seem to do anything about it.

By the way, I can't remember the source article, but Dr. Johnson's experiments at UVA with ontasedron were geared specifically toward those that had this mutation. It's been a while since I saw it, but I believe the conclusions were that ontasedron was far more effective in people with this mutation than without it. The gist was that ontasedron may be the answer for the most difficult cases.
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

It's like saying gays choose to be gay!

It would be great to have the stigma of being an alcoholic go the direction of getting the degrading thoughts out of main stream. That will take too long and most of us have been beat up beyond repair now.
          With evidence it's generational, genetics and not self control should have been studied and promoted so much more than it has.

My nose turns red from a few sips.... My cheeks go bright red after a whole glass of wine.

Comment

Wow like, like, Like where is that goddamn button!

Comment

Working...
            X