May be close to the switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved my post over to a different thread...

Glad you're getting another blood test, Alky.

Comment

Hello Everyone, I'll probably be around less and less as time goes on. Baclofen and MWO has served its purpose in my life. The (VERY) few times I've had a drink since hitting my switch was because I wanted to, not because I had to. And I was able to drink what a normal person would deem reasonable, without getting completely trashed. Plus, things are kind of dead around here anyway - in some ways for the better. All the finger-pointing and accusations of "trolling" seem to have quieted down, hopefully permanently.

I've also found an AA meeting I can actually stomach. It meets at 10:30 at night about a half mile from my house. At that hour it's a small group - usually under 10, 15 at the most. And with the exception of one guy that's kind of preachy, most of the people there seem genuinely interested the scientific, medical approach to addiction, even if they feel it's not for them. I was really surprised about their general lack of knowledge on the topic (or even awareness of the scope of the research taking place) given the lengths that all of us on here have gone to educate ourselves on the subject. Likewise, I've also made it clear to them I'm not working the steps, I'm not interested in having a sponsor and I'm not counting days (that always got me into trouble in the past). And being Jewish, the Lord's Prayer thing makes me bristle a bit, but I deal with it.

Anyway, if I don't check in for a while, nothing bad happened. In fact, quite to the contrary, I'm in a good place. Happy whatever-you-observe to you all!
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

i've often wondered if there are any groups out there that deal with the scientific aspect of recovery. along with the obvious support you get meeting with others of a like mind on a regular basis.
        i know there is a group called SMART recovery out there somewhere but i've never researched it. anybody? also, the PHOENIX group with an emphasis on a community of exercisers; climbers, cyclists,etc.
        AA considers anything medically oriented as an "outside" issue and not a part of their deal.
        as you guys know AA is a spiritually oriented "cure". i went through a period in AA where i wanted to shout out bac at meetings but i've come to see that most AAers are happy with the spiritual approach. anyway, maybe worthy of it's own thread. sorry for hijacking. grat.

Comment

Congratulations Alky!!!

I'd like to ask you, what was your daily baclofen dose when you hit the "switch" and what is your present one?

Comment

It's a shame to see you go Alky man!
            I truly loved and valued your contributions.

Stay well!!

Comment

Alky, I was trying to approach you via PM...the site system says that you don't wish you be contacted that way.

Comment

Hi whatever. You sound so nice and friendly in this post above. I think you are trying to reach out in a good way to Alky. Good for you!
                JMum
                My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Jmum, he/she's full of it. Anyone can send me a PM. Don't believe a word this person speaks. It's best not to engage him/her.
                  In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                  X