Campral dosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campral dosing

Just a question for those who've tried campral - does it matter what time you take them? I'm taking the 333mg pills, 2 at a time, and 3 times a day. I'm under 60kg but they told me to take the full dose anyway so I am. I take other pills at 0800 and 1200, so its easy to take them then. But I'm not sure about the third dose, if I'm spreading it out enough, or leaving it too long at 2000. They're working fine at day 2 of campral, of nearly 15 days abstinence. They seemed to have stopped the anxiety. I'm not taking anything else. (apart from vitamins b12 folate c d iron and ndt for hypothyroid). Can I take more if required?
    sigpic

Campral dosing

I was on campral earlier this year. It's a pretty benign drug - as long as you are getting your three daily doses in at some point, I wouldn't overthink it. Given your weight, I definitely wouldn't take any more than the 6 tablets a day. They're time-release so any additional amount you take isn't going immediately help you anyway. Also, the side effects can be nasty (I would get diarrhea like clockwork, 45-60 minutes after each dose), and you definitely don't want to be exacerbating that. My doc said that if you miss a dose, don't try and make up for it - just start taking it again with your next regular dose.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Campral dosing

Ok yeah I am probably overthinking it. Still that's good to know. Haven't had any side effects yet but I did read that it takes time to build up in your system. Why'd you stop taking it? I find it's a total relief. I also read that it either works for you or not, no in-between.
      sigpic

Comment

Campral dosing

The primary reason I stopped taking campral was economic. It was not covered by my insurance, and out-of-pocket costs exceeded $200/month. We cannot get generic acamprosate in the USA. It worked some of the time, but it didn't keep me from drinking during periods of stress and/or anxiety. Eventually I decided the marginal results did not warrant the continued outlay of so much money. It takes about a week for it to build up in your system to the point you "feel" the results.
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Campral dosing

So I found campral a little weak, and have now been prescribed baclofen 10mg 3x day. Here's to day 1 take 3.

As you said it didn't hold through stress and anxiety any effect. Obviously I didn't give it 7 days. I have nearly a full pack left!
          sigpic

Comment

Campral dosing

I still think campral has some value since it accelerates the resetting of brain chemistry back to a pre-alcoholic state in a way baclofen does not. I am considering resuming campral and taking it simultaneously with the bac now that I can get it cheap from a Canadian pharmacy.

Comment

Campral dosing

I thought about doing that too. Shout out to anyone trying campral and baclofen together , how is it working out?
              How does it reset the brain alky? Does it work on gaba too or a different pathway?
              sigpic

Comment

Campral dosing

illyria;1597772 wrote: I thought about doing that too. Shout out to anyone trying campral and baclofen together , how is it working out?
                How does it reset the brain alky? Does it work on gaba too or a different pathway?
                I posted a thread to this effect about a month ago and got no responses.

Bac agonizes (stimulates) the GABA B receptors while campral agonizes the GABA A receptors (the same GABA receptors affected by alcohol) while simultaneously antagonizing (preventing activity on the) NMDA receptors. Basically, this means that campral binds to the NMDA receptors, preventing the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate from binding to the NMDA receptors. The simultaneous stimulation of the GABA A receptor, along with inhibiting glutamate activity leads to a calming of brain activity. After 6-12 months of use according to my psychiatrist, the balance of GABA and glutamate should be restored to pre-alcohol levels.

Needless to say, continued drinking will negate any of campral's positive effects, so total abstinence is required for maximum efficacy.

Comment

Campral dosing

Very nice explanation Alky! Well done

Comment

Campral dosing

Right, awesome! I always mean to drink green tea for its glutamate blocking effect. Only manage a few a week. I will ask my doc first - I can't just mix drugs!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X