Year End Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year End Review Thread

Self explanatory, where were you a year ago and how have you progressed.

December 2012: Two months into the switch, but still trying to drink moderately. Completely disgusted with my roommate (and lonely) and commuting two hours from my parents' house to my job. This is where going to the bar every night had gotten me- alone in a faraway place, broke, angry, depressed, overweight, medicated. I had a new job and apartment lined up for January hoping to make a fresh start. Drinking every night, about 2-3 drinks.

January 2013: New job, new apartment. Things are on thin ice at the new job within 2 weeks of starting. In order to be closer to home and have a nicer place to live, I chose an apartment an hour from work. This does not make it easy to get to work on time when you pass out in a baclofen coma... Attempting to drink less and eat healthier due to New Year's resolution.

February 2013: There is a bar a stones throw from my new apartment, and I catch myself going there every night. Probably averaging 3-4 drinks a night on top of greasy food. Despite being in the same town as my friends, I rarely see them and spend most of my time drinking alone and texting on my phone. The bar's waitstaff knows me on a first name basis. What a pathetic sight I must be...

March 2013: Getting seriously disgusted with my job. My coworkers remind me of the rednecks who tormented me on the school bus. I catch them making vicious jokes about me just out of earshot, and I am noticing that I am being given less and less (and less) to do. The entire office reeks of snuff and the sight of their spit bottles makes me want to gag. Holding steady at 3-4 drinks a night and burning money at the bar. I begin talking online with a girl in Pittsburgh.

April 2013: Fired. No doubt due to my earlier tardiness from Baclofen and the fabricated excuse that it was Abilify causing it. They were crafty enough to say it was a slowdown at the plant to avoid looking discriminatory, but it was an end to the subtle hostilities and accusatory tone I was being treated with there. It was also obvious that I did not fit in with them, as they were quite openly cliquish. Good riddance. I meet said girl, unsure of where things will go.

May: Things become official with the girl, who likes my knowledge of classic rock. I keep my nose to the grindstone hoping for job leads, but nothing. I am also cutting back on drinking since I can no longer afford the bar, but it is still a nightly activity. My nice apartment feels like a prison because I know I must abandon it soon- I am paying rent by breaking an old 401K. Then late in the month I get a random email from a prestigious engineering firm (a name that you have all heard of) saying that I could be hired off my resume. Two days later I have the job.

June: I select a room on a horse farm from Craigslist to rent, admitting that my life is not yet stable enough to make any major commitments like a lease. I also need a remote place to live to be the hell away from bars and get out of the habit of drinking every night- even moderately. I start the job running, determined to salvage my reputation. My resume looks very spotty and suspicious and I know that I won't be able to take much more of a beating.

July: Drinking less. Never going to bars because the girlfriend does not drink, and getting about 3 alcohol free nights in a week. Things start to darken, however. I notice severe anxiety and squirming at my desk, as well as terrible confusion. I start screwing up at work and earning the ire of my coworkers. It can't be alcohol, and I begin to question the medications I am on. Looking up side effects of zoloft and ability, I find that my nervous system is likely fried from ability and giving me akathesia. I am also disgustingly overweight from the zoloft and repulsed at what I see in the mirror. I start seeing a doctor to safely wean off of the meds.

August: Getting the sense that things are going nowhere with the girlfriend, I press her about where things are going. Realizing she wants a non-physical, middle school relationship, I dump her. Things improve at work, and with mandatory overtime I obliterate my car payment and start to make major headway into my student loans. Slowly dialing back the zoloft and ability.

September: Nothing noteworthy- a nondescript month of titrating down on meds.

October: I reach the finish line with zoloft and ability, and post glowingly about what it feels like. A week later, the withdrawal kicks in and the most profound horror imaginable takes over. My memory of the month is very shaky, but at the lowest point I take an abilfy hoping to stave off the anguish with the backup plan being to check myself into the ER if things don't improve. I stick to my guns and refuse to go back on the zoloft, not buying the myth that I am relapsing into chronic depression.

November: I have stabilized on abilify, but still depressed a few days of the week. Sticking it out and not going back on the zoloft pays dividends thoughout the month. I notice fewer and fewer depressed days during the week, then finally none at all. The weight starts to melt off. Although I am far from the deliriously happy week when I first quit, I know that I will never have to go back on zoloft again. But another issue has emerged- going off zoloft has made me even more sensitive to alcohol. Even small amounts of alcohol leave me lazy and incapacitated for several days after I drink.

December: Well founded paranoia sets in as my coworkers and I are given less and less to do. We suspect that our contracts are being terminated and prepare for the worst. Finally, we go to our update meeting, whistling Europe's "The final Countdown" on the way to the conference room. The news is the exact opposite of what we expect, and we are actually given more responsibilities. I feel like I have dodged a train with a new lease on life for the new year. Things have fallen into place- I am no longer living in fear of losing my job to alcohol, debts have been paid off and I've kicked zoloft out of my system with sights set on abilify next. Things have not gotten great, but I feel like the damage to my life has at least been repaired.

Taking all this in, I've realized that I need to resolve not to drink to make any more headway in life. Whether it's work, reading or guitar practice I only make spurts of progress after several days of sobriety. Also, my sensitivity to alcohol has more or less mandated that I refrain from even small amounts of it.

Goals for 2014:

Get school paid off
    Get a contract extension
    Shoot for 60 days of sobriety

Year End Review Thread

Fred_The_Cat;1599007 wrote: Self explanatory, where were you a year ago and how have you progressed.

December 2012: Two months into the switch, but still trying to drink moderately. Completely disgusted with my roommate (and lonely) and commuting two hours from my parents' house to my job. This is where going to the bar every night had gotten me- alone in a faraway place, broke, angry, depressed, overweight, medicated. I had a new job and apartment lined up for January hoping to make a fresh start. Drinking every night, about 2-3 drinks.

January 2013: New job, new apartment. Things are on thin ice at the new job within 2 weeks of starting. In order to be closer to home and have a nicer place to live, I chose an apartment an hour from work. This does not make it easy to get to work on time when you pass out in a baclofen coma... Attempting to drink less and eat healthier due to New Year's resolution.

February 2013: There is a bar a stones throw from my new apartment, and I catch myself going there every night. Probably averaging 3-4 drinks a night on top of greasy food. Despite being in the same town as my friends, I rarely see them and spend most of my time drinking alone and texting on my phone. The bar's waitstaff knows me on a first name basis. What a pathetic sight I must be...

March 2013: Getting seriously disgusted with my job. My coworkers remind me of the rednecks who tormented me on the school bus. I catch them making vicious jokes about me just out of earshot, and I am noticing that I am being given less and less (and less) to do. The entire office reeks of snuff and the sight of their spit bottles makes me want to gag. Holding steady at 3-4 drinks a night and burning money at the bar. I begin talking online with a girl in Pittsburgh.

April 2013: Fired. No doubt due to my earlier tardiness from Baclofen and the fabricated excuse that it was Abilify causing it. They were crafty enough to say it was a slowdown at the plant to avoid looking discriminatory, but it was an end to the subtle hostilities and accusatory tone I was being treated with there. It was also obvious that I did not fit in with them, as they were quite openly cliquish. Good riddance. I meet said girl, unsure of where things will go.

May: Things become official with the girl, who likes my knowledge of classic rock. I keep my nose to the grindstone hoping for job leads, but nothing. I am also cutting back on drinking since I can no longer afford the bar, but it is still a nightly activity. My nice apartment feels like a prison because I know I must abandon it soon- I am paying rent by breaking an old 401K. Then late in the month I get a random email from a prestigious engineering firm (a name that you have all heard of) saying that I could be hired off my resume. Two days later I have the job.

June: I select a room on a horse farm from Craigslist to rent, admitting that my life is not yet stable enough to make any major commitments like a lease. I also need a remote place to live to be the hell away from bars and get out of the habit of drinking every night- even moderately. I start the job running, determined to salvage my reputation. My resume looks very spotty and suspicious and I know that I won't be able to take much more of a beating.

July: Drinking less. Never going to bars because the girlfriend does not drink, and getting about 3 alcohol free nights in a week. Things start to darken, however. I notice severe anxiety and squirming at my desk, as well as terrible confusion. I start screwing up at work and earning the ire of my coworkers. It can't be alcohol, and I begin to question the medications I am on. Looking up side effects of zoloft and ability, I find that my nervous system is likely fried from ability and giving me akathesia. I am also disgustingly overweight from the zoloft and repulsed at what I see in the mirror. I start seeing a doctor to safely wean off of the meds.

August: Getting the sense that things are going nowhere with the girlfriend, I press her about where things are going. Realizing she wants a non-physical, middle school relationship, I dump her. Things improve at work, and with mandatory overtime I obliterate my car payment and start to make major headway into my student loans. Slowly dialing back the zoloft and ability.

September: Nothing noteworthy- a nondescript month of titrating down on meds.

October: I reach the finish line with zoloft and ability, and post glowingly about what it feels like. A week later, the withdrawal kicks in and the most profound horror imaginable takes over. My memory of the month is very shaky, but at the lowest point I take an abilfy hoping to stave off the anguish with the backup plan being to check myself into the ER if things don't improve. I stick to my guns and refuse to go back on the zoloft, not buying the myth that I am relapsing into chronic depression.

November: I have stabilized on abilify, but still depressed a few days of the week. Sticking it out and not going back on the zoloft pays dividends thoughout the month. I notice fewer and fewer depressed days during the week, then finally none at all. The weight starts to melt off. Although I am far from the deliriously happy week when I first quit, I know that I will never have to go back on zoloft again. But another issue has emerged- going off zoloft has made me even more sensitive to alcohol. Even small amounts of alcohol leave me lazy and incapacitated for several days after I drink.

December: Well founded paranoia sets in as my coworkers and I are given less and less to do. We suspect that our contracts are being terminated and prepare for the worst. Finally, we go to our update meeting, whistling Europe's "The final Countdown" on the way to the conference room. The news is the exact opposite of what we expect, and we are actually given more responsibilities. I feel like I have dodged a train with a new lease on life for the new year. Things have fallen into place- I am no longer living in fear of losing my job to alcohol, debts have been paid off and I've kicked zoloft out of my system with sights set on abilify next. Things have not gotten great, but I feel like the damage to my life has at least been repaired.

Taking all this in, I've realized that I need to resolve not to drink to make any more headway in life. Whether it's work, reading or guitar practice I only make spurts of progress after several days of sobriety. Also, my sensitivity to alcohol has more or less mandated that I refrain from even small amounts of it.

Goals for 2014:

Get school paid off
    Get a contract extension
    Shoot for 60 days of sobriety
    Are you completely med free and what happened to the baclofen?
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Should have included doses. Off zoloft, down to 2.5 mg of abilify and 100 mg of bac.

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Fred, great idea. It's hard for me to remember the entire year so since June I've started taking notes on how i feel, but here goes.

Summary for 2013
        I started off broken from alcohol, benzo abuse. I didn't realise how broken i was until i switched jobs and my mental health came unraveled. I realise that alcohol was a huge part of the reason why and that i suffer from GAD, i went back onto zoloft 50mg, found out about baclofen in August, reached a "switch" by the end of November I think i have conquered my addiction to alcohol via indifference with high dose baclofen, still early to say though. My mental health is getting better everyday i don't drink. I also purchased a house. My career and mental health suffered because of booze and drug abuse but i learned a valuable lesson and i did something about it.

December 2012: Work is quiet, I'm drinking 1/2 a bottle of scotch every night. In June/July that year i began tapering off a hellish 6mg a day xanax habit. I at this stage was at around 2mg of valium to go. I had originally switched over to benzos from alcohol in a short sighted attempt to switch one addiction for another. My reasoning was that benzos would not impact me the next day like alcohol did. I shrugged off the warnings of the interdose withdrawal and hell that benzo addiction was. A very foolish endevor indeed. I at this stage had also tapered off a 300mg Tramadol addiction. I was also using roughly 400mg a day of codeine.

January 2013: I think i managed to taper off completely off the Valium so i am benzo free. Still drinking though. I expected that i would just return to the old me. Something is different now though. It seems that the benzo abuse has done some longer lasting damage, i wake up with "the fear" after drinking every day. Huge anxiety daily and it appears im suffering from GAD. I realise that i need to stop drinking but leave it to "after the next holiday" which is in june, and this always never works.

February 2013: Still the same as January with my mental health, alcohol use and codeine, i start looking for new jobs. I want the next step in my career and more money. I'm sick of how I'm being treated at work. There is too much pressure and im overworked. I book my holiday to Vietnam and plan on quitting drinking again when i get back. Not sure what i will do differently this time, i had some plan. but in hindsight it was rubbish.

March 2013: Begin getting serious looking for jobs, I manage to impress quite easily in the interviews. I turn down two prospective jobs because they don't really suit what i am after. Another one rolls around that looks enticing. It's not my ideal role but the pay is good and the company is less corporate then where i am. So i decide to take the plunge. My current work is still a shit fight. I have my doubts about the new role, but i decide to go anyway to escape the crap im in. I'm still drinking and using codeine like before.

April 2013: I wake up with the fear everyday, i jump at shadows during the night. my drinking and alcohol use is the same. I dont really feel like working at all. quit the job and start the new one. Before leaving the old one, the manager tries to keep me and gives me an offer very close to what im receiving at the new place. I cant decide what to do. I trip up and decide just to go to the new place.

May 2013: I freak out at the new job and almost send an SMS to my old manager on day 2 of the new job to ask to come back. I realise that, that is bad form and wait at least 3 weeks before coming back. I justify this as my old job is a better company to get better because i dont have to work hard. my anxiety is through the roof, i cant make a decision on anything. I end up after 3 weeks deciding to go back to the old company. I get a nasty sms from a co worker from my old job that there is some conspiracy against me and everyone is out to get me when i come back. I freak out and ask if i can go back to the job i just quit after 3 weeks. I break down and cant make a decision and simply get other people to make the decision for me. So i go back to my old job and brace for the worst. I am suicidal and just dont want to go back but i need the job. I end up circling and circling with stupid logic on why i should go back or why i shouldn't. None of it is productive.

June 2013: I go back to my old job and resume taking valium to deal with the stress, everyone is welcoming back and i am releived there is no conspiracy. drinking and codeine use stay the same. I realise i really need to do something about the booze, i go to some meetings and buy some books on drinking like alan cars easyway to stop drinking

July 2013: Stop taking valium and there is no withdrawal, thankfully. I go have my trip in Vietnam, but i cant really enjoy it fully. I constantly think about the fuck up the year was and realise that the freak out at the new job was unjustified. I was making more money, the role was more senior and i could do the job. If i didnt like it, a better course of action was to simply go somewhere else after 6 months. But i couldnt think straight. I realise booze was the culprit. I start documenting positive things that happen in my life to try and overcome the bad days by looking at the good days. Doesnt really help. I start documenting how i feel when i've been drinking, i look at it the next day, and its dark. here is one entry

6:51 - drank about 10 mins ago whiskey and beer, feeling pretty good
        9:03 - loathing, self hatred, feel like a loser, xxx only just feels sorry for me, feel like i need to drink more even though more wont make me feel better and i know this. feel like shit.
        9:45 - feels like an eternity since the last entry, drank more since the last entry too. the room is spinning now and it is unplesant, i felt like drinking more just 10 minutes ago, but i am now glad i did not. Feeling sorry for myself, feel like a loser, laid down on the ground and wish i was dead, great way to spend $30.

I try to take the psychological approach to stopping drinking, i try abstinence for a while but the cravings come and get me. I would hang my head over the toilet and i would salivate in a constant stream thinking about booze. it was terrible.

August 2013: I look into medication to address the cravings. Doctors just give me the run around sending me to therapists. I research on my own. I begin looking up naltrexone and campral. I find MWO and discover baclofen. Baclofen looks like the ticket. I read nearly 1/2 the forum and it looks to be the perfect medication, indifference and anti anxiety, exactly what i need. I order baclofen, order 'end of my addiction' and research the hell out of baclofen. I'm very excited. I start taking baclofen. drinking remains the same and as i start baclofen the drinking changes, it isnt the same, doesnt have the same kick.

September 2013: tritating up agressively, from August to the end of September i went from 12mg to 150mg of baclofen. I want the switch desperately. I wake up everyday with the fear, horrible anxiety. I actually start drinking MORE now on this dose of baclofen. The hangovers start to get worse. molehills become mountains, i panic about everything. I decide to try 30 days of abstinence with guys on the MYO forums. I end up just abusing MDM, benzos and opiates instead. It wasnt really successful. Cravings are still there, but i persist for 33 days, i want baclofen to work badly. Cravings are reduced but they are still there.

October 2013: By the end of october im up to 220mg of baclofen. I spent it AF but i ended up for many of the 30 days abusing codeine more and using valium. The drugs don't have the same kick they did before, i try to use more to get the same effect but no dice. Same thing happened when i was drinking and on bac, i actually consumed more going up trying to get the old feeling back. Mental health is much improved due to not drinking. End of october i buy a house and when i move in i decide to celebrate by drinking just once. ends up that im drinking every second day, but at doses lower than before. drinking just isn't the same.

November 2013: i go up to 320mg of baclofen. drinking continues to get better, stretches of sobriety are longer and when i do drink its less. I play around with my zoloft and increase to 100mg, this seems to bring back cravings and i slip up. increasing the dose to 320 also brings on some scary sides. I tritated up too fast. Settle back down to 295. I stuffer a lot of negative thinking during this period, mainly work related but i think the aggresive tritation is partly to blame, sleep is very bad.

December 2013: Stay on 295mg of baclofen, sides are going away now. I slipped up once on the 7th by drinking a bottle of wine which i regretted. The slip up was not due to cravings, other triggers were involved. At this dose, i can comfortably say i am indifferent to alcohol. I start reducing my codeine usage and have found it easier to do so than ever before i started off on around 400mg and now im on 280mg and decreasing. Sleep is starting to improve as i get adjusted to 295mg

Goals for 2014
        - Continue abstinence to alcohol, start taking AB to remove triggers other than cravings.
        - taper off Codeine completely
        - Fix up my career and get the role that pays a bit more and that is more senior.
        - Work on my BJJ and strength training and get back in shape.
        - Begin making extra repayments on the house.
        - Work on my mental health more. read books on CBT and self esteem.
        - Get my microsoft certifications.
        01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Damn Neo, that sounds like a rough year. I know what the paranoia at work feels like- and they can tell there's something off about you when there's a substance abuse issue and it's a constant battle of anxiety wondering how much they can figure out.

Yeah, drinking is just not the same after the switch- the edge is completely taken off which is probably a good thing. I keep saying this repeatedly and eating my words, but the habit is the harder to break than the addiction. That's probably what 2014 will focus on as far as drinking is concerned.

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Thanks Fred, in hindsight, i always had savings to last me some time and i never lost a job like you did, i made mountains from mole hills. If i had lost a job like you did, i dont know what i would have done.

I agree that the habits are the hardest things to break. Baclofen addresses the cravings but there are other triggesr like going to the bar with friends

Congrats on your progress so far.
            01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Year End Review Thread

If there's anything I've learned it's that moderation, while technically possible on baclofen, is counterproductive. While I've made huge strides career-wise this year, I haven't gotten any better at guitar, my novel lies unfinished and I find myself bored and ineffectual and pacing around when I'm not at work.

It boils down to: when I open a beer, I relax and don't take things seriously. Even if it's only a couple, it knocks the rest of the evening out of commission as far as being productive at anything. This has probably amounted to years of doing nothing and goofing off without even realizing it. Then there are sleep issues which percolate into the next few days- Know why I'm posting this at 3:00 on Sunday morning? Because the TWO beers I had Friday night spiraled my sleep out of control!

I'm praying that this is going to crystalize into something permanent. When I quit smoking pot as a New Year's Resolution in 2005, it was a culmination of recognizing what a counterproductive behavior it was and physically not being able to stand it anymore. It was a decision long in the making that didn't require any particular effort to stick with- it just felt like the right thing to do.

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Ok here goes;

January 2013 I came into the New Year on the back of half a glass of wine, in fact I was in bed asleep not having even bothered to finish the glass that was given to me. I had taken 50mg of Naltrexone before this and had been taking naltrexone at least one hour before every time I drank since April 2011. New Year's Day was spent having a famous cocktail, in the famous place it was named after, said Nal being taken mid morning knowing we may drink later on. I probably drank on half a dozen other occasions this month, all socially no issues, and was keeping within government recommended limits of 14-21 units a week. Still having ongoing therapy with a counsellor, now delivered as part of a group.

Feb - May cut right back on my drinking, to perhaps 1-2 units a week if that, sometimes nothing at all for 10-14 days. This was a decision I made to fit in with my then lifetstyle.

May - July Celebratory drinks at the end of my mostly enforced abstenance, then started drinking perhaps once or twice a week, had a few very boozy social nights.

June Started voluntary work

July 22 had a really odd evening, realised I was chugging wine just for the sake of it, not enjoying it and only 'because I could'. Also having food issues so following a phone conversation with Loop decided to go completely AF for the indefinite long-term.

September Started post grad studies, training in a field close to my heart taking a lot of my experiences here with me.

November Counsellor needs to time off, sick leave, formal counselling ceases.

December still AF, can't remember when I last took Nal. I've had the odd occasion when I feel like getting pissed, but I just don't do it and it's not a fight. Nal seems to have taken all the gloss off drinking, allowed me to look at it properly and decide it's just not for me or at least that life is so much simpler if I do not drink. Feeling a little unhappy decided to revisit spirituality, and get a bit of joie de vivre back. Gratitiude and appreciation.

Since this is the meds section I don't use anything else, no benzos, tranqs or whatever. I do follow a very healthy diet most of the time, and take a few sports supplements of the natural kind. In my recovery I have decided not to use any mind or body altering drugs apart from caffeine and occasionally chocolate. I do have depressive type feelings, but am such a driven person I manage to over ride them every day on a sort of ODAT basis.

Some of the above has involved me having to divulge my drinking history and it's effects, in order to become a volunteer and also get onto the course I had to be fully officially checked and I do have 'background' and I my drinking did cause me to do things I wouldn't otherwise have. Amazing things have happened, a few people said it would never be accepted, all I did was start small, keep applying, just be honest when asked.

It's not over yet, still loads of work to do but I will say second chances do happen.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Blonde,

What does Naltrexone do for your cravings? How are the side effects, if any? I'm getting a little antsy about bac- namely the fact I could go into seizures or psychosis if I stopped taking it. The revia injection sounds promising but expensive as hell without insurance- and if you used insurance to pay it could be used against you.

It seems to have worked for you, any downsides?

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Fred_The_Cat;1599318 wrote: Blonde,

What does Naltrexone do for your cravings? How are the side effects, if any? I'm getting a little antsy about bac- namely the fact I could go into seizures or psychosis if I stopped taking it. The revia injection sounds promising but expensive as hell without insurance- and if you used insurance to pay it could be used against you.

It seems to have worked for you, any downsides?
                    Downsides?

Umm can be a rocky ride, drinking can increase at various point before cure. What it does is over time reduce the drive to drink, allows you to slow down and recognise you don't need a drink. You do have to consciously realise this and you do have to take Nal every time you drink, waiting 1 hour for it to get into your brain before you take the first sip.

Side affects, can make people feel sick first couple of times they use it, can leave a flat taste in your mouth, some tiredness but compared to baclofen it's nothing. No withdrawl if you stop taking it and you don't have to take it on days you do not drink. It takes 6-12 months to achieve success, and there has to be some active recognition of the fact you no longer 'need' to drink, it sort of allows you the choice.

Because it blocks opiod receptors you cannot use opiod based painkillers, they won't work or you'll OD and kill yourself trying. Most nal comes with a set of cards you pop into your pockets and purse in case of emergency explaining that you are on an opiod blocker and that any analgesia needs to be carefully administered. I didn't have any issues, biggest one was feeling flat if I drank several days in a row, metalic taste and the odd terrible hangover - nalover which is a hangover from hell and can strike at any time, on high or low units. I used these sides as a deterrent to drink and enforced AF days once you are well down the line in order to break the simple 'habit' is recommended to speed up the process. After 6-12 months if successful you should be able to drink as a normal person would, but you have to always take nal before drinking if you do.

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Year End Review Thread

Fred_The_Cat;1599170 wrote: If there's anything I've learned it's that moderation, while technically possible on baclofen, is counterproductive. While I've made huge strides career-wise this year, I haven't gotten any better at guitar, my novel lies unfinished and I find myself bored and ineffectual and pacing around when I'm not at work.

It boils down to: when I open a beer, I relax and don't take things seriously. Even if it's only a couple, it knocks the rest of the evening out of commission as far as being productive at anything. This has probably amounted to years of doing nothing and goofing off without even realizing it. Then there are sleep issues which percolate into the next few days- Know why I'm posting this at 3:00 on Sunday morning? Because the TWO beers I had Friday night spiraled my sleep out of control!

Fred -And others: Great Thread and Good Information!! Thank you for this thread.

Fred -Your following statement needs to be at the very front of the Baclofen Handbook:

"If there's anything I've learned it's that moderation, while technically possible on baclofen, is counterproductive".

My short version of this year's recap is:

In ten months time, I have gone from Firewater Hell to New Hopeful Contented life. In all my prior attempts at sobriety, this was never even close to my reality. In fact, there was one time that I had 13 months sober but was still craving and full of anxiety.

In February of this year ('13), I was drinking first thing in the morning and for the rest of day night -till pass out. I saw no way out. I came across a video during my last ditch efforts to quit. The video: Diane Sawyer and Dr. Ameisen.

The video was the beginning to my ending of alcohol. I was so convinced that baclofen was a legitimate answer that I was willing to spend whatever it would take to get started. And by this time, my assets had dwindled to near zero but I did have some credit and it was credit that saw me through to my outpatient rehab.

Baclofen is an evolutionary revolution
                      . It continues to evolve as a solution to alcoholism (thanks to many of our mwo predecessors) and desperate alcoholics wanting to quit will always revolt against the less than adequate medications now available.

Comment

Working...
                      X