would a health scare slow you down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if this is the right forum but as I only post on the meds forum I'll shoot ahead. for a few years now i've been having problems with what I think is my bowels. Amounts their pains (usual liver area pains after a season)

Lately i've found it hard to go more than 2 days without just not being able to take anymore. Terrible diaarea and some anal leakage which is embarrassing.

All in all its a bit of a godsend as its been stopping me in my tracks somewhat but something definitely isn't right. I've been to my gp and he just puts it down to drink as my blood work is fine.

At the present moment I can go no more than 2, at a push 3 days before my body packs in.

I was wondering how you all feel? Would this kind of thing stop you? I couldn't imagine drinking 24/7 if my health was in a bad way but I suppose I'm not that far gone yet (don't mean to be condescending)

I drink 5l of 5% beer in a sitting.

Hi thomas. I can only speak for myself and those in my family who are/were alcoholics. In my experience health scares DO NOT stop people from drinking. My poor brother died two years ago of cancer of the pancreas and liver. In the months leading up to his diagnosis when he was suffering terribly, and had developed Type II diabetes as well, he drank even more to stop the pain....I won't go into the grisly details but runny bum was the least of his troubles. And to complicate matters he never did tell his doctors that he was drinking a quart of rum every day.

You may have developed a sensitivity to wheat, or to corn, or some other food. Or your poor gut is just so inflamed from being bathed in booze that it is not absorbing your food. I'm so sorry that you are feeling these symptoms of something your doctor is not able to identify.

But you know, if your doctor thinks it's your drinking that is causing these symptoms that could guide you to thinking of quitting or at least slowing down (you may be doing this, I don't know you from the meds threads). Please don't wait until you "are far gone yet."

Are you on a med to help you stop drinking? I don't remember seeing you on the meds threads.

Hope you feel better if/when you stop/slow down. Have a Happy New Year, Thomas.
    JMum
    My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

My stomach is always a wreck if i drink!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey guys...

Thanks for the quick replies. I've been on tsm and bac the last 2 years with mixed success. Bac drove me up the wall but tsm halved my units in a matter of weeks. I'm about to start back.

This is a blessing in disguise tbh. 24/7 drinking sickins me to the stomach. I used to always worry about my liver but as you all well know booze plays havoc with the whole body.

My usual poison is 5l of 5% beer. II usually go 1-2 days and die for a few... Rinse and repeat. Diarrhoea/cramps/anxiety. I used to be able to drink a lot more.

With a bit of luck my career is slowing down. I'm a weak as piss drinker as in I die a death whilst others man up and go do a hard days labouring.

I'm a heavy benzo user which could be playing it'd part also.

Comment

A health scare (serious too) was a major if not the factor in my decision to quit in 2012. I did not want to die from AL related disease before the age of 60
          This was internal damage and not obvious to most people. I had to do it.

Comment

A mixture of severe nausea, diarrhea, and pins and needles in the hands and feet, all associated with drinking, played a part in my own drastic reduction in drinking. I used to drink large amounts (~20 standard drinks) every night but have been staying abstinent most of the time over the past 4 years. When I do return to drinking, these symptoms rapidly return, and the gastrointestinal symptoms now make drinking unenjoyable.

Comment

I would blow right through whatever health scare I had if I did not have help with my drinking.... Whatever that help was. Screw my body, I need a drink.
              When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

I have severe intestinal issues when I drink.
                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

My skin breaks out in handcuffs when I drink.
                  When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

Comment

Seems like I'm not alone with intestinal issues. It has really slowed me down. Saying that i've been at it for 3days now but only because of the holidays. At least I know I'm not alone with this.

Comment

When I drink for a few weeks, especially liquor, I suffer internal bleeding. Every time. Never stops me from starting back. It's just my alarm clock for backing off. Hopefully I will always back off. Or not.
                      "If I don't go crazy, honey, I'm going to lose my mind." Son House

Comment

My DH has had the symptoms you describe and has for the last 5 or so years. My DH's sound even worse. The doctors tell him it's because he is pouring "battery acid" into him. His blood tests are all high in the wrong places. He knows he is in trouble.. he is scared.. he tries to quit or cut down.. but can't. I am an enabler because I drink, too - but don't have those kind of health problems YET. I am starting to get dull pain in my right abdomen under my rib cage, where the liver is. It is scaring me.. Oh, and I am over 100 lbs overweight. I know he and I are both a walking time bomb, so starting tomorrow I am abstaining for 30-60 days and then will try to moderate. I hope to be a good example and he will follow suit.

We all owe ourselves a chance to heal and have healthy bodies. I wish you the best Thomas!
                        "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
                        ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                        X