Indifference reached - Success with high dose Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday was Friday night, I was alone, bored, tired and hungry, typical H.A.L.T scenario in AA. Tomorrow had no obligations I was free to be hung over. My friends had left 12 beers in my fridge from a NYE party.

All conditions set for a drink to calm my nerves, yet I didn't do it. I thought about the beer, maybe just have one or two but I just couldn't be bothered.

Another test was on NYE itself, i had 3 beers, opened a fourth and I couldn't be bothered to take a sip from it. It tasted rancid and i wasn't enjoying the feeling of alcohol as it began to take hold.

I think having the experience of drinking and not liking it helped me get to the point on Friday of not wanting a drink at all.

It's taken 295mg of baclofen and 155 days, but I think I'm finally there, the long tritation is over. If a year ago you would have told me I could keep 12 beers in the fridge on a Friday when I'm alone at home and bored, I would have thought it impossible.

I have Dr A to thank, this forum and of course Baclofen.
    01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Congrats neophyte! I wish you the best.

Comment

neophyte;1607945 wrote: I think having the experience of drinking and not liking it helped me get to the point on Friday of not wanting a drink at all.
      I can really relate to this quote, and for me, it's what indifference is all about, congratulations.
      -tk
      TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Perfect Neo- Congrats.

Comment

What a great feeling of power over your own decisions. Good job!

Comment

Ya-hooie, Neo!!! Well done! So very happy for you!

And thanks for another reminder of how I felt when I understood that I never had to drink like again.

Ever.
            "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Congratulations and thanks for posting. Gives me hope as I begin my baclofen journey.
              JMum
              My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Neo,

👍👍👍👏👏👏💛💙💜💚❤️

Feels great. Doesn't it?

Comment

Neo! This about brought tears to me! I'm so over-joyed for you. I know it wasn't an easy ride for you, but look! You took a stand and followed through.
                  ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

To contact me, please msg me here:
                  mandiekinz@baclofenforalcoholism.com
                  Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Very happy for you, Neo. That just rocks. What is your plan, bac-wise, going forward? Are you going to stay at the same dosage, and if so, for how long? Indefinitely?

Comment

thanks everyone, it does feel great. Yet doesn't feel like that big of a deal at all. Strange since it was such a huge goal for me. With everything that had happened last year, it was rough, it was probably the worst time to quit drinking given how crappy i felt about some things in my life, but it worked. I think thats a good indication as any, that baclofen does work.

skull, ideally i would like to be on a lower dose and not on baclofen at all. There are still side effects, i get occasional headaches and my thinking is different, It's hard to articulate what thinking different is though, it's like my mind is wired a bit differently now. I know that i need to be on this dose for a while, when i tried going AF at 175mg I still had cravings, if i started drinking then i wouldn't stop until i was drunk. So i guess i'll stay at this dose for a few months and bring it down, hopefully below 200mg as the sides were more tollerable there.

I think my tritation was a bit too fast actually, especially from 200 -> 295. I was going up 25mg every 5 days or so, the anxiety I had, the sleepiness and insomnia was difficult to handle. It does take a long time to get adjusted to the sides. I'm only slowly getting better each day. When i was going up in dose i would get roughly 3-4 hours of choppy sleep a night. In the day i was so tired i nearly fell asleep at work.

I hope this lasts as well

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Congrats Neo!

I remember the underwhelming feeling- give it a year and then you'll be overwhelmed with how far you've come.

Remember, The Lord Giveth, and The Lord Taketh Away with bac. Aim for as much AF time as possible because it is indeed possible to lose your switch if you keep drinking.

Comment

Neo,

So happy for you, what a milestone! You?ve been slow and steady (well, probably a bit overly anxious towards the end, right?) but now you?re seeing the other side of the struggle. Wow.

It struck me that you said, ??it does feel great. Yet doesn't feel like that big of a deal at all. Strange since it was such a huge goal for me.?

Is it like waking up and gradually realizing the nightmare was just that? Just a long bad dream, not your normal basic nature? That?s how it felt for me, I remembered how life used to be. No matter, I?m just thrilled that you have a chance to catch your breath and remember who Neo really is. Rest in your hard won indifference, you deserve a break! Your deeper personal journey begins, anew.

And like Fred and others say, watch the old habits, they have a mind of their own. Palladium?s info about how it?s going in UK is very encouraging! Can?t wait til our medical establishment catches up.

(Love, Love your Robert Frost.)

Eve

Comment

that has me worried about losing my switch if i drink at all, should i completely abstain or is it ok to have 1 or 2 beers when i go out?

Comment

It seems as you feel your way through newfound indifference, a beer here or there happens. Just part of the process. Just be mindful about what's happening. Others will no doubt have their opinions about it, too. Be mindful.

Comment

Working...
                              X