Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here perform the role of a sponsor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just wondering if anyone here was/is a sponsor to anyone else. I'm also curious if anyone wouldn't mind taking that role with me. It would be nice to have someone to talk to on a personal level.

I'm 31 and recently graduated with a degree in botany. I have been drinking since I was 18 after I got on probation for pot. I have been medicating something for the past 13 years. It's likely a mixture of social and personal anxiety among other things.

I'm currently on ~100 mg of bac and on my way up. I just got a years supply so things are looking well.

Thanks for reading,

Cyto

Hi Cyto and welcome

What do you want and expect in a sponsor if i may ask? I have given up al without drugs though definitely not opposed to them at all.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hello available,

I'm not looking for much. I guess someone who is further along than me would be helpful. Maybe someone who wouldn't mind giving some insight regarding my personal relationships. Someone more intelligent than me is preferable. Not a hard metric to beat.

I want to spill my guts and not be judged. I have noone to do that with.

Thank you available.

Best wishes,

Cyto

Comment

No but this is a place where you can talk things through.
        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

it might be helpful to find someone local that you can pick up the phone and call

this forum is good too, ive vented here a number of times and especially on my troublesome tritration up
          01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

I vote for starting a progress thread here. Spill your guts in relative anonymity and option to delete if you want unless someone quotes you. Help yourself by getting it off your chest, help others by sharing your story. And if you're taking bac it is related to the forum. Or just pick someone and PM the sh*t out of them :H

Comment

Are you looking for someone to go through the steps with? If you don't want the traditional AA kind of sponsor, then I second Stuck's notion of making a progress thread and using it as a journal. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend you go to AA and go through the steps with him. I think baclofen and AA together is the best way to beat alcoholism, anyways.

Another option is to start a progress thread here and find a therapist to share the heavy, personal shit with. However, they don't have the same understanding as a real alcoholic, and AA is free therapy.

Good luck!
              Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
              George Santayana

Comment

Where are you located?
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Slippery - unless the therapist is an addict too. Plenty of therapists are.

I recommend Stuck's ideas. But maybe not PM'ming the shit out of someone right off.

Comment

Unless you are dead set against AA, you will probably never have as open and honest a relationship with anyone as you will with a sponsor in AA. Don't get in a hurry to choose one, but you will hear a lot of people speak and then choose one. Very few will say no. If you are actually looking for someone to act as a sponsor, even if you don't do Steps, you need someone you can look in the eyes. And who can look you in the eyes. IMO.
                    "If I don't go crazy, honey, I'm going to lose my mind." Son House

Comment

Cyto, I personally find many aspects of AA irrelevant to my own recovery. But, I still continue going to meetings because there's nothing like talking to people face-to-face that are in the same predicament you are. I've made it clear to them I don't want a sponsor and I'm not interested in 12-stepping and there is one guy that is particularly hostile to the pharmacological route, but the rest of them are cool with what I want to get out of AA. Anyway, MWO is great, but there's nothing like face-to-face conversation and I would encourage you to explore that option if you are open to it and can find a meeting with like-minded people. At my AA meetings, the conversations continue outside for at least another 45'. My only gripe is that they all smoke, a habit I kicked in 2001.
                      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                      X