X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Patent in 1979 for Anxiety, Neurosis, and Alcoholism

United States Patent 4,156,013
    Bruinvels , et al. May 22, 1979
    Method for treating patients suffering from anxiety neurosis and anxietylike neurosis, and alcoholism

Abstract
    Patients suffering from anxiety neurosis and anxietylike neurosis often accompanied by alcoholism are treated by administration of medicine containing a .beta.-(p-halogen phenyl)-.GAMMA.-aminobutyric acid as active compound. As a result these patients were totally freed from the above mentioned complaints.

Inventors: Bruinvels; Jacques (DE Bilt, NL), Pepplinkhuizen; Lolke (Rotterdam, NL)
    Assignee: Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam (Rotterdam, NL)
    Family ID: 19828697
    Appl. No.: 05/914,087
    Filed: June 9, 1978
    Foreign Application Priority Data
    Jun 10, 1977 [NL] 7706429
    Current U.S. Class: 514/567
    Current CPC Class: A61K 31/195 (20130101)
    Current International Class: A61K 31/185 (20060101); A61K 31/195 (20060101); A61K 031/195 ()
    Field of Search: ;424/319
    References Cited [Referenced By]

Other References

chem. Abst. 59-8646G (1963)..

Primary Examiner: Friedman; Stanley J.
    Attorney, Agent or Firm: Mason, Fenwick & Lawrence
    Claims

We claim:

1. A method for treating patients suffering from anxiety neurosis, which comprises administering to said patients a compound having the formula ##STR1## wherein X is a halogen atom such as Fl, Cl or Br, in a dose sufficient to relieve the symptoms of said neurosis.

2. The method of claim 1 including said dose being in an amount of about 5-60 mg per day per patient.

3. The method of claim 1 including, said dose being initially 15-60 mg per day per patient and thereafter 5-15 mg per day per patient.

4. The method of claim 2 including, said dose being in the form of suppositoria or coated tablets.

5. The method of claim 1 where the anxiety neurosis is accompanied by alcoholism.
    Description

The invention relates to a process for the preparation of a medicine having anti-anxiety neurosis and anti-anxietylike neurosis activity and to a medicine having such activity.

From clinical trials it appeared that patients having anxiety neurosis, as defined by Woodruff, R. A., Goodwin, D. W. and Guze, S. B. and Wheeler, E. O., White, P. D., Reed, E. W. and Cohen, M. E., did not show any amelioration upon administration of known anxiolytics.

The symptoms of anxiety neurosis, as defined by Woodruff and Wheeler, are in decreasing significancy: palpitation, tires easily, breathlessness, nervousness, chest pain, sighing, dizziness, faintness, apprehensiveness, headache, paresthesias, weakness, trembling, breath unsatisfactory, insomnia, unhappiness, shakiness, fatigued all the time, sweating, fear of death, smothering, syncope, urinary frequency, vomiting and diarrhea and anorexia.

Such patients, who very often suffer from serious sleep disorders, do not react at all or hardly react on the administration of well known anxiolytics or sleep inducing medicines, such as benzodiazepines or barbiturates, among others valium, seresta, temesta, vesparax etc. Also an intensive psycho-therapy did not provide the desired results.

If one realizes that 2-4% of the population suffers from such anxiety neurosis, it should be clear that there exists a pressing need in providing a medicine having anti-anxiety neurosis and anti-anxietylike neurosis activity.

The object of the invention is to meet such a need.

In this connection the invention relates to a process for the preparation of a medicine possessing anxiety neurosis, characterized in that a compound having the formula of the formula sheet, wherein X is a halogen atom, such as Fl, Cl or Br, is put in an administration form which is suited for medical purposes.

As active compound a .beta.-(p-halogen phenyl)-.gamma.-amino/butyric acid is used. In the event that in the compound having the formula of the formula sheet X is Cl, this compound is a known substance, to wit .beta.-(p-chloro phenyl)-.gamma.-aminobutyric acid having the generical name of baclofen. It is well known that this compound possesses muscle relaxing activity and is used as such.

Surprisingly it has been found that upon administration of baclofen to a certain group of patients suffering from the above anxiety neurosis drastical amelioration of their situation occurred, which means that the patients were completely or practically completely freed from the symptoms belonging to the anxiety neurosis. They could again normally functionate in society.

This amelioration occurred with all treated patients suffering from anxiety neurosis, of which the anxiety neurosis seemed to be of family nature. These patients, having a positive reaction on the administration of baclofen, had a hypoplastical-leptosomical-build.

Patients, who did not fulfil the above mentioned conditions, appeared not to react on the administration of baclofen.

In order to achieve the desired results it appeared necessary to administrate the active compound first in a dosage of 15-60 mg per day, dependent on the nature and the age of the patient and the seriousness of the neurosis. After certain time a supporting dosage of 5-15 mg per day was sufficient. The preferred dosage is determined individually.

Preferably the active compounds are administrated as suppositoria or coated tablets, since in oral administration in the form of uncoated tablets these patients often suffer from stomach-complaints, which may be such that the administration should be discontinued.

It is known, that several patients, suffering from anxiety neurosis of the above mentioned type have recoursed to an excessive use of alcohol, often followed by chronical alcohol misuse. Apparently the alcohol was the only drug that helped up to now.

Surprisingly it has been found too that patients of the above mentioned special group, who furthermore have a tendency to alcohol misuse, were not only freed from the anxiety neurosis symptoms, but also from their craving for alcohol.

United States Patent: 4156013
    ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

To contact me, please msg me here:
    mandiekinz@baclofenforalcoholism.com
    Baclofen for Alcoholism

Is this an app for a patent,vor an actual existing patent? 1979?? What pile did this get lost under?

Jeez, now I have a neurosis?:upset:

Sam

Comment

It was an actual patent that has since expired.

I think it's safe to say we all have neurosis. hehe :P

Neurosis is a mental disorder: Anxiety, Depression, ect...which generally leads to our alcoholism.
      ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Patent

Hi Mandi - I think the greater thing you bring to the table with this post is that many life-changing ideas involving baclofen have been brought forth and then swept under the rug. Look, it takes over a $100,000 (closer to $200,000) to apply for and see a patent through to approval. After reading your thread and having posted a few items regarding patents on mwo, I decided to spend some time looking at Patents related to baclofen-addictions. Wow, there are many patent-baclofen ideas regarding addiction on the books. Why is it that baclofen is not used as a first call medicine for the offset of the disease of alcoholism?

Comment

Great find Mandie.

1979?

I'm flabbergasted (for non-speakers of American English -- utterly amazed).

Was Amiesen aware of this patent? I'll have to look at his extensive references.

Are any of these "inventors" still alive? I wonder what they have to say...

Is this a patent application or an approved patent? I'll have to look again. I wonder if this is why Amiesen abandoned his interest in patenting baclofen for alcoholism...

I am flabbergasted.

Cassander
          With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Follow the money.
            My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Cassander, excellent questions. I have yet to search if the original inventors are alive. But is on my to do list.

The patent was applied for in '78 and approved in '79. I would like to get my hands on their research leading up to this.

It makes sense on why Ameisen threw in the towel. However, his protocol is different than these folks. I'm not really educated on how patents work, but if the protocol is different, shouldn't the patent be?

Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Mandiekinz;1617507 wrote:
                It makes sense on why Ameisen threw in the towel. However, his protocol is different than these folks. I'm not really educated on how patents work, but if the protocol is different, shouldn't the patent be?
                Hi Mandie,

I am (or was) a lawyer, but not by any stretch a patent lawyer. My general sense is that for a patent to be granted, the "invention" must be "new", "not obvious" and "useful". I think the patent you found might well have caused Amiesen problems with newness and obviousness. But you are right, the differing protocol might make a difference. Perhaps a real patent lawyer has a view.

Whatever, great find!

Cassander
                With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Wow this is flabbergasting!! (here's me thinking it was always an Aussie expression. I'll be using that one a lot more on the boards now ).

This does bring me back to a bit of a sore point for me re: Ameisen. People please don't take this the wrong way, but just something that has been playing on my mind ever since I read his few postings here on the MWO med threads.

If I recall correctly (and I stand to be corrected) in every single one of his posts he clearly states: "My invention" or "My discovery" I first put that down to something being lost in translation, as he was French born.
                  Then I pondered some more on that and obviously realised very well that he was perfect at American English as he had lived there so many many many years.

Then I thought he must have put that there for a reason and I concluded he was wrong to make such a statement.
                  To explain. The research he originally based his experiment on, the one with the rats, suggested in concluding that high dose bac could indeed be useful for humans and further research as such was to be encouraged.

Where in that is it evident that it was his (Ameisen's) discovery, his invention?
                  He read that study and decided that he was going to try that upon himself and thank god for that!
                  I mean no disrespect people, but some things like this one above and others like him having not reporting or acknowledging any se's at all just don't add up for me.

I don't know why he felt the need to express himself like that. It is a shame as in the end he saved so many people's lives and getting close to saving mine, but at the same time he gave the doubters too much ammunition.

Peace to all,
                  Indygo

Comment

HDB in humans specifically for the purpose of treating alcoholism was Ameisen. He's got (or had) a patent application for that purpose, which I think means that anyone who comes along afterwards and tries to patent it has/had to pay him. (The patent doesn't have to be completed in order for the claim of original ownership to be awarded. That's my understanding, anyway.) So basically he has made it even less financially viable for companies to do it. On the other hand, he has/had every right to make gobs and gobs of money from it, in my humble opinion.

The patent here is to treat anxiety. And it's only 60mg, if I recall correctly. All research is built on previous research.

And while he certainly had a decent command of English, and I mean no disrespect to the guy, it was often pretty clear it wasn't his first language. And it drove me bananas that he was so insistent about getting All The Credit, but I can't really blame him. I'd be pissed off too if I wrote a book about a life-saving new approach that forever tainted my professional reputation and was basically ignored. Wish he'd lived long enough to see what's coming.

Oh, and the side effect thing? He was on LDB for a year before he titrated up. He was also almost completely abstinent. Not that I don't think it's bologna. :H

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1617685 wrote: HDB in humans specifically for the purpose of treating alcoholism was Ameisen. He's got (or had) a patent application for that purpose, which I think means that anyone who comes along afterwards and tries to patent it has/had to pay him. (The patent doesn't have to be completed in order for the claim of original ownership to be awarded. That's my understanding, anyway.) So basically he has made it even less financially viable for companies to do it. On the other hand, he has/had every right to make gobs and gobs of money from it, in my humble opinion.

The patent here is to treat anxiety. And it's only 60mg, if I recall correctly. All research is built on previous research.
                      Hi Ne

I guess I wish someone who really understands patents would speak up. In the meantime...

A patent application wouldn't entitle Amiesen to anything. No money, no nothing. If no patent was granted he would have no rights. And my understanding is that Ameisen (I wish I could remember which way to spell his name) was never granted a patent. If this is in fact the case, it is likely that his application failed by reason of the fact that it was not sufficiently "new" or it was insufficiently "nonobvious". There are many reasons why an examiner might have denied his patent application, including facts we simply don't know, but the patent Mandie found could well have been one of the reasons. It makes Amiesen's claim much more, if not clearly, "obvious". Or there may have been other reasons why an examiner found Amiesen's invention to either not be "new" or to be "obvious". In any event, no patent seems ever to have been issued.

While Amiesen had no patent rights the existence of his application (and the claims alleged therein) could affect future applications for baclofen treatments since whatever he claimed in his application could help refute a future applicant's claims of "newness" and "nonobviousness".

My respectful two cents. Would love to learn more.:l

Cassander

Comment

It seems to me there's a reason that the whole patent thing is navigated by lawyers!

There's some info in a link that is sort of relevant. It has to do with patenting a "thing" as opposed to a "not-thing" but I think it's about the same. Maybe not? I dunno. The gist is that the patent application establishes seniority. No one can ever supersede that.

I looked it up because my brother told me a story about one of his friends who makes his living filing for patents but without ever following through. Then when the person (or rather the company because they have loads of $$$) with the idea (say a game) tries to get a patent, they have to pay the person who was the first, not necessarily the same as the person who developed the idea. Again, maybe things and not-things are different, but I don't think so. Perhaps it's just that I like to think that Ameisen was being very clever.

The Benefits of a Provisional Patent Application - IPWatchdog.com | Patents & Patent Law

ps. First name is with "ie" and second name is with "ei".

Comment

Ameisen's approach was that we drink because we are anxious.

This patent clearly states it's for anxiety which causes us to drink.

Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Ok.

I think the whole patent thing is pretty convoluted. If someone wants, I can delve into it and see what I come up with, but I'm not sure it matters at this point? Or am I missing something? I certainly didn't mean to digress and distract with a discussion about patents. (Though anything to do with Ameisen used to fascinate me to the point where I spent a bazillion hours looking up stuff like that...Anyway. Such a major bummer that he's gone.)

It seems to me that if someone can figure out a way to get baclofen to the people who want and need it, they could and should make some real money from it. It doesn't really matter to me who that is. Hell, if someone could do that with medications in general, so that people with our disease can actually get medical treatment as a first line of defense, then I'm all for it. I am fairly certain we all agree on that!

Comment

It would be a wonderful world if it wasn't ran on a scheme for money.

It's unfortunate that the prior patents keep us in a bind even after they're expired.

Ne- that'd be great if you could read up and explain the patent process for medication and uses. After I'm back from this trip, I plan to hunt down this Netherlands inventor or colleagues that would have more information. Also, your mailbox is full.

Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

Working...
                              X