Senior Doctors recommending Baclofen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is some good news, a recommendation of baclofen for use by the leading UK doctors: http://www.bap.org.uk/pdfs/BAPaddictionEBG_2012.pdf

I like the new look of the baclofenforalcoholism site, by the way.

Best wishes
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Wow! 50+ pages of well thought out research. And it was published in May 2012. I'm surprised I haven't seen this. I only read up to the Methadone part, and I think the 11 pages I read are a valuable start for drs. I disagree that baclofen should be tried after acamprosate, naltrexone and disulfiram.

This is good news. Thanks Otter.

Comment

Otter thanks for putting this up. I guess because baclofen studies are still in their infancy - compared to the other meds recommended - it got a very brief mention and only as a last resort type thing.

My doctor is one who would say: try these - the usual suspects (which I know don't work for me) or here's 30 naltrexone tablets (daily dose) BUT YOU SHOULD REALLY TRY TO STOP DRINKING ON YOUR OWN.

Thanks Doc! He is very good hearted but rushed off his feet - waiting room full of families with 'colds' and has no time for reading!

Thank God for this board!!
      My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Hi Otter -great find. I did not get to read in total. Little by little, baclofen seems to be making headway. It is sometimes disappointing to certain reports keep bringing up the so-called non successful trial of baclofen-alcoholism (USA study). I was glad to see that they at least brought up Ameisen and the higher dosage.

Comment

The US trial at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill was destined to fail. It was only 12 weeks and the maximum daily dosage topped out at 30mg.

Efficacy and Safety of Baclofen for Alcohol Dependence: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
          In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Not much of a recommendation for HDB because it was written before Suppression of Alcohol Dependence Using Baclofen: A 2-Year Observational Study of 100 Patients which is the first scientific paper with convincing evidence for baclofen as the first line treatment for AD.

When trying to persuade my GP to prescribe baclofen I would hope that he hadn't read the BAP guidelines which are hardly a good advertisement for baclofen.

Comment

Working...
            X