Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muscle relaxant found in Phillip Seymour Hoffman's apt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering. He was an alcoholic as well. There are many muscle relaxants on the market...

Sam

I'd guess something like Soma or Lyrica. Even Valium is sometimes classed as a muscle relaxant.

Great actor by the way... R.I.P.

Comment

I heard they found all sorts of drugs,some that are used to get off heroin,who knows what else
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

it was probably a benzo, 'muscle relaxants' sounds like a more dramatic media sound bite then anti anxiety tablets or sleeping tablets or anything else you would call them.
        01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

That tipped a red flag for me as well, and I imagined baclofen getting bad press. But when they listed the drugs, bac was not among them, though he did have some anti addiction meds.

Sad.

Comment

I've been informed that his doctor does prescribe baclofen but it seems from what I read here that he wasn't on it. It is very sad.
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Russell Brand's lately been using the spotlight of his fame to make some pretty interesting comments about income inequality, politics, the legal system, and occasionally addiction. He's certainly progressive, and comes close I think to getting it right, but his message is still very bound-up with 12 Step and Recovery models.

Anyway, thought I'd share his latest: an op-ed in the Guardian on Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Russell Brand: Philip Seymour Hoffman is another victim of extremely stupid drug laws | Comment is free | The Guardian

Comment

Russell Brand is a train wreck. He's funny but I somehow think he'll derail some day. He spent his time at the Priory, I believe.

Thanks for the link. I will watch tonight while I wait for my newest herbal sleep remedy to kick in...

Sam

Comment

StuckinLA;1623611 wrote: Russell Brand's lately been using the spotlight of his fame to make some pretty interesting comments about income inequality, politics, the legal system, and occasionally addiction. He's certainly progressive, and comes close I think to getting it right, but his message is still very bound-up with 12 Step and Recovery models.

Anyway, thought I'd share his latest: an op-ed in the Guardian on Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Russell Brand: Philip Seymour Hoffman is another victim of extremely stupid drug laws | Comment is free | The Guardian
                  Stuck, I wish I could read through Russell's British fancy pants way of writing. He could sway many more plain folk like me if he just came out and said his mind. He's right though. If the US made it easier for addicts to get help we'd have less deaths like Hoffman. And no, I wouldn't be thrilled to see Justin Beiber or Miley Cyrus OD. That's just nonsense.

Comment

Guys, I have a rule: google first. If the source is credible, here is an exhaustive list of what has been found:

Philip Seymour Hoffman -- Apartment Littered with Prescription Pills | TMZ.com

Comment

Atarax?? We used to Rx that to dogs for itchy skin. Didn't think it was for anxiety.

Let that be a lesson to us all...Throw away all of your empties.:wow:

Sam

Comment

squeezed;1623688 wrote: If there is anyone on earth with good access to help for addiction, it would have been Hoffman and other rich celebrities at the top of their fields.
                        I am nobody important or famous but the stigma of addiction prevented me from acting for DECADES.

Whilst it is now almost pass? to go to rehab I am sure these celebrities struggle to hide their addictions even harder than we ordinary mortals. Not least BECAUSE they are addicts.

Addiction is actually a disease of the wealthy but portrayed as one of the poor.

Comment

Perhaps I should have said ' portrayed as a disease of the poor and celebrities' .

Many on skid row started out as comfortable and middle class.

Comment

I recommend that all of us read "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction" by Gabor Mat?, MD. I learned a lot.

In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction: Gabor Mate, Peter A. Levine: 9781556438806: Amazon.com: Books
                            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Yes. Dr. Mate is brilliant. Interestingly, he still suffers from the same addiction to buying classical music as Dr. Ameisen, who noted the first time he walked out of the store without buying a CD as the first indication that something was changing for him.

However, despite his brilliance, for which I have great respect, Dr. Mate is not so interested in baclofen. I actually attended a day-long workshop he presented. I bought his book you mention, Cass. I stood in front of him in brief conversation about the day, and asked him if he was aware of baclofen and its potential for alcoholics, and perhaps other addictions. He looked down and - I'm not trying to be rude, but it's true - mumbled something like. "yes, I think I've heard something about it." I said, "I am living evidence that it works!" He smiled at me and said, "That's nice."

Peter Levine, with his insight into trauma, is also a ground-breaker. I've followed their work for quite some time. I have my own "model" for what and how they hold trauma and addiction, and although I don't line up with them entirely, I have great respect and appreciation for their contributions. I saw Dr. Mate a year or so ago. Maybe something's different, now??
                              "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Working...
                              X