Short-term baclofen cessation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repost from another forum (and first-time post)

I've been taking baclofen for 12 days, between 30 and 60mg/day (average probably 35-40). I started taking it to help with another addiction (kratom, which is a mu agonist), but am now starting to worry about the bac itself.

I don't drink alcohol, smoke, drink caffeine, or take any other drugs (I'm now 12 days off kratom). I'm a otherwise healthy 36-year old male.

I have no interest in baclofen other than to get off it. I've read other posts and lots of literature on the internet that suggests a slow taper over the course of a month or two. I just lived through 2 weeks of WD for kratom that included severe depression, extreme anxiety, restlessness, etc. Baclofen helped with the sleep and restlessness somewhat. The point is, I'd rather endure extreme discomfort for a short period rather than draw it out over a month or two.

I took 40-50g two days ago, 35g yesterday, and I'm at 15g for the day. Today I did notice some tingling in my hands and extremities which I know can be indicative of bac WD (so I took another 10g, which puts me at 25g for the day). Otherwise, I'm actually feeling less restless, depressed, and anxious than I have for the last two weeks.

What is the fastest taper for someone who's only been taking it for 12 days? Or better put, what symptoms should I be looking for that indicate a serious WD problem (rather than something that can be muscled through with a little grit). I know I'm coming across as impatient - I'm just weary of being dependent on pills and would rather just cut it off and deal with a few miserable days, than to draw it out over two months and guarantee I'd develop a dependence.

Anybody else had experiences like mine? Specifically with going on baclofen for a short time, and then tapering off quickly?

Thanks, and best wishes to everyone else who's working to get and stay sober.

hi mcfly,

first off, you wont develop a dependance for baclofen, it just doesnt work like that. i wouldn't advise the chopping and changing of doses, if you went up to 60mg a day, then stay there for 4-5 days. then, take 10mg off every 4-5 days until you reach zero. this is by far and a way the best thing to do. slow and steady wins the race.

Comment

if you have been taking it for only 12 days, you will be able to discontinue it immediately. No need to taper.

With the obvious warning that I am not a doctor.

I will try and dig up some studies for you, but baclofen dependence (or whatever the word is) takes a couple of months to develop.

Comment

Not a doctor.

Second what bleep said. After 12 days you're not dependent - and you'll never develop a *psychological* dependence on baclofen, but will eventually be physically dependent. Not after 12 days though. If you really wanna be careful (or more importantly, feel like you're being careful), cut your dose in 1/2 for 2 or 3 days then stop.

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback. I had tingling sensations for much of the day yesterday, but they are gone today. Overall, I'm feeling much better last week when I was in the middle of the worst part of WD. I'll keep an eye on symptoms, but plan to continue a fairly aggressive taper over a few days.

Thanks and best wishes

Comment

Working...
          X