I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Please does anyone know of a doc in the Oklahoma city area who prescribes baclofen for alcoholism? I've seen lists on here but I don't know if they prescribe for the specific reason the I need it which is to stop drinking. I am worried to call around and ask...... I am desperate and so I have ordered some off the internet. I think they are here, I go sign for them at the post office tomorrow. My doc. refused to prescribe it when I asked her. Since then I have ordered and read the book Heal Thyself and I'm really hopeful and excited and scared all at the same time. I would MUCH rather do this under a doctors supervision. I am in fear for my life from alcohol. I sit here typing with HUGE bruises all over as usual and fresh healing stitch wounds from drinking injuries. I am going to be a grandmother for the first time in June. I'm getting too old for this. I want to see my grandchild grow up never ever knowing drunk Nana. I want to be here to see her grow up!! Is there anybody out there??? PLEASE

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Nana, congrats on being a soon-to-be grandmother!

I can understand your fret about wanting to find some help to pull you out of the deep, dark place that alcohol has drug you into. This place is a wonderful place to start off with for support along the way. Making friends that understand completely does much more for us than we realize.

I also understand your fear of trying baclofen without a doctors help. RedThread knows of a doctor in Tulsa, if you're willing to travel? I know you'll just have to see her once and she'll prescribe up to 80mg and continue with your refills. In the meantime, you can visit with a GP for check ups. Just explain to them that your therapist put you on baclofen.

I know that my GP didn't bat and eye when I told her I was on 320mg of baclofen.

Or you can try a GP, if you haven't yet. People seem to have better luck with a GP than a psychiatrist(if that was who you were trying to go through).

It's a difficult situation we're in. The doctors that DO know and understand baclofen in it's entirety are few and far between. It seems the people here on the boards know much more about baclofen than the doctors that have prescribed it to them. A good majority of us have had to order from the internet after Dr. Levin retired.

There's a lot of information packed into this fantastic thread that may help win a case with the next doctor you seek out. Just print them out, fill your head with knowledge, and bring them with you.
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-50513.html

The best of luck to you. Keep us posted and speak up for help.
    ?If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place. Primary reality is within; secondary reality without.? - Eckhart Tolle

To contact me, please msg me here:
    mandiekinz@baclofenforalcoholism.com
    Baclofen for Alcoholism

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Nana, my experience was just the opposite of Mandie's. After the untimely passing of Lo0p, a beloved member of this forum that supplied many of us with liquid bac, I printed out every clinical trial and case report I could find (I had many thanks to Lo0p), and presented them to the psychiatrist that's been treating me. And as a result, I got a legit prescription for baclofen. As I left his office on my last visit Friday, he thanked me for educating him. Of course, he'll get a case report and his own accolades out of it, but it's a win-win for both of us. Anyway, don't write off the psychiatrists. On the other hand, my GP was very nasty about my baclofen use.

I do want to again caution you about what baclofen is and isn't. I relapsed badly while on baclofen. It doesn't make you un-alcoholic. What it allows you is to make a choice. But you can still very easily make bad choices. I mention this again because on one of your earlier threads, you mentioned that you are a blackout drunk. I never had any problems with falling until I relapsed while on baclofen. Baclofen is still primarily used as a muscle relaxant to treat muscle stiffness in people with neurological disorders. I was never really a falling-down drunk until I drank heavily on baclofen. I don't have any recollection of these falls, I'd just wake up with nasty bruises. I also totaled one pair of glasses and damaged a second.

Long story short, baclofen is a great tool, but it isn't magic.
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Nana Good luck on your journey. :l
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Nana, any updates? Did you get the bac from the post office?

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Alky;1625371 wrote: As I left his office on my last visit Friday, he thanked me for educating him.
            Mine did the same. Funny, isn't it?

Alky;1625371 wrote:
            Baclofen doesn't make you un-alcoholic.
            For many of us, as long as we take the pills, it does take away the symptoms of alcoholism and we don't act like an alcoholic anymore. But I agree with you that it's not the definition of being "cured".
            Alky;1625371 wrote: I also totaled one pair of glasses and damaged a second."

If it were whisky glasses, I would say: "keep on doing that", but I'm afraid that weren't the glasses you were referring to.

Alky;1625371 wrote:
            Long story short, baclofen is a great tool, but it isn't magic.
            I have to disagree with you on this one.
            In my case and many others, it eliminated the need for alcohol. Completely indifference. No other medicine or treatment they ever
            came up with could do that . That sounds kind of a miracle to me.
            Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Hi NanaT and welcome here.

Baclofen works to solve alcohol addiction.
              It's a super tool that, together with the determination of going out of tunnel, simply makes the job.
              It requires patience and regularity on following the schedule therapy and often the results they are visible even on low doses (reduction of drinking).

Here you will find support from all of us that they are using it with success.
              Keep your thread update as much as you can.

Wait to hear from you...
              Baclofen started: January 2013
              Switch (sort of): April 2013 / ~165mg
              November 2014: stable at 45mg: 10AM-15mg, 1PM-15mg, 5PM-15mg
              -> Here my progress thread on MWO <-

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Thank You everyone!! I am so hopeful and I have a great sense of relief that I may be able to climb out of the vodka bottle for good! I received my shipment today from in house pharm.100 10 mg tablets. I'm taking one three times a day for seven days and after that I was wondering is ok to go up 10 for the next step or should I go at 5 until I hit the switch. Thank You for the warning Alky. I will remember what You said about the falling. Im so DONE with that. It's so surreal to wake up sore and confused. It feels like Your fighting war in your sleep and the other guy won. UGH.
                Also when do You know You have hit Your switch???

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

can anyone message me with the name of the doctor in Tulsa? I have pm'd RedThread a few times no response so far. My GP was the one who refused to prescribe Bac for me. I would be open to a psychiatrist or any other doc. who understands this. Thank You guys!!

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

nanaT;1625690 wrote: I received my shipment today from in house pharm.100 10 mg tablets. I'm taking one three times a day for seven days and after that I was wondering is ok to go up 10 for the next step or should I go at 5 until I hit the switch.
                    According to the instructions that come with the baclofen, as well as common knowledge,
                    you should start with half a pill 3 times a day.
                    After that, you go up half a pill (3 times a day) every third day.

Some go faster, some go slower. Just listen to your body and mind.
                    Be aware that every in- or decrease will take about 3 or 4 days before you notice full effect.

Success and keep enough stock at hand. It is dangerous to suddenly stop baclofen, once you've taken it for a while.

Read a lot and ask questions.
                    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Don't go too fast

HI! I'm a newbie (not to AL! Nana, and I too just ordered baclofen, my first today. I've read a lot on this site and elsewhere, and caution you about driving when you are starting out on this. And I too would suggest starting out with 5mg. This stuff isn't like an advil.

Has anyone created some type of word or excel document to chart their dosage and effects, like a journal type of thing? I can create one, but nice to see what others have for ideas.

If you're detoxing from vodka (beer & whiskey girl here), I'm finding what's helping me to cut down is mixing box wine half and half or better with water. I'm not a big wine drinker, but it seems to be helping a bit to cut down. Maybe it's that it's not my usual? That is not a suggestion to start drinking, but if you're at the AL store and have to, maybe going completely off the usual?

That being said, I'm still afraid of going to town, my beer and whiskey depot.... And good luck to both of us.

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Thank You Xadrian! Every 3 days. will do

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Hi Nana,

Please follow Xadrian's advise. Slow and steady wins the race. :welcome:

Sam

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Kickapoogirl;1625709 wrote:
                            Has anyone created some type of word or excel document to chart their dosage and effects, like a journal type of thing? I can create one, but nice to see what others have for ideas.
                            hey Kickapoogirl,
                            here the excel file that i used for my treatment (and continue to update even now)...
                            Is really useful to see how the cure is going and helps as daily reminder of how much we drink... (or not! ;-)
                            Hope it helps! Attached files attachment.zip (3.9 KB)
                            Baclofen started: January 2013
                            Switch (sort of): April 2013 / ~165mg
                            November 2014: stable at 45mg: 10AM-15mg, 1PM-15mg, 5PM-15mg
                            -> Here my progress thread on MWO <-

Comment

I need a doctor ASAP!!!

Thank You Kickapoo girl. We can do this! I'm going to start a journal tonight. That is a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X