New success thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New success thread

I posted this last night under another thread. Rather than have it get lost I was told to start a new thread. I hope others add their stories too.

I hope this works...I wanted to share my story, in hopes that others will step up and share theirs for the newbies. There are some seasoned baclofenists still posting, but it seems as if Lo0ps passing has kept some hiding. I love hearing from the 2009 and up club!

I am 54 years young. I came out of the womb anxious. I remember screaming all the way to preschool because I couldn't bear to be left there. I'd throw up on the way to an overnight camp. I was a mess from day one. I do remember good times, but mostly remember the bad.

My great aunt bought me champagne for my 13th birthday. I had a sip and it was like a light turned on for the first time. I had sipped Coors from my Dad's can on occasion and thought it was ok. When I was 16 I had spiked punch at a friends party and that clued me in as to my answer to all my problems. I could drink and not be anxious! I used this occasionally until my boyfriend went away to college and joined a Fraternity. Then it was every weekend- drink, barf and pass out. My BFF and I would snort coke, drink a bottle of wine and go out on the town for more. I wonder how I survived. She joined AA and got sober but I kept going.

When I was in my early 30s I was married and drinking wine every night. Except for my two pregnancies I was slowly titrating up from 1/2 a bottle to 1-2 a night. Things got scary when my teenage twins started calling me a drunk. I used to take them out to look at Xmas lights when they were young, driving drunk. The horror...my husband started telling me to stop. He was my drinking buddy but now I was surpassing him. I was embarrassing the neighbors.

Last summer I found the website sober recovery. Lo0p used to call it sober relapsery
    On the sight was a post about a med called baclofen. The person mocked it, but I did a google search anyway and found MWO. There I found Spirit, Isolde, Redthread, Kronk, Mandie, a host of others, and Lo0p. I ordered the Pacifen and started my way up. I kept drinking, and my drunken misery kept me alcoholic. I did notice my anxiety went way down, which AD's never had a handle on. All the while I kept reading, and finally pm'd someone named Lo0p. I found a friend who knew me while never having met me. I have a son with Aspergers and pegged him as a fellow Aspie. He coached me until he passed away. I switched at 80mg after a rough bout of the stomach flu. I walked through the wine aisle of our local supermarket to the meat dept. Usually I'd stop and get at least two bottles to get me through the night but no, I wanted a Tri tip and I couldn't be bothered with a good red to go with it. I was floored. This went on for 3 weeks. Testing it out was futile. I had 3 glasses which tasted like a colonoscopy prep and made me so anxious the next day I felt,like I'd killed my sister. I'd only had three glasses!! A mere drop in the bucket on a normal day. Since then I've had 2 glasses of wine but don't wake up thinking, scheming or dreaming of wine. I may go down in dosage to help with the insomnia but for now I will read past posts to gain perspective. I've been lucky to have titrated up using liquid Bac, but will gladly use the pills to continue the task at hand.
    SEs,have been daytime sleepiness, paradoxical insomnia, and decrease in sex drive. I can handle all 3 just fine.
    My real test will be an Arizona spring training trip with my sons baseball team. If I slip up I know it will be ok, and I can drink a beer at a SF Giants game and stop at one. That's the beauty of baclofen. Like yoga, I found baclofen on the internet, and with that search I found you.:h

Sam

New success thread

I think she meant in this section of the forum, Sam:

Tell Us Your Story - My Way Out Forums

Comment

New success thread

Thanks so much for this, Sam. I'm always amazed anew to read baclofen success stories. It's the answer to the big question: why can't you just stop?

We can but IMHO having a drug that slows things down so we can use our natural smarts to work through the real reasons we drink is KEY.

For me, I'm still struggling with making the changes in my life that are desperately needed. The past trauma can be so powerful, and the running tapes very loud - Baclofen is not a magic pill but it's the next best thing! At least it gives space so change is possible.

Is there a pill for courage?
      My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Working...
      X