Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[B]5-step baclofen program to cure alcoholism[/B]

Step 1 (this is the most difficult step):

Admit to yourself that you have an alcohol problem and you are willing to make an end to that, because you, your partner and your family deserve that you get cured from that terrible disease.

Step 2 (pitiful, this can be a very difficult step as well):

Get access to baclofen.
    Preferably you do this by getting a prescription. If it is being refused and you really have no other option, there are online pharmacies where you can order it.

Step 3:

Read a lot about how to use baclofen and titrate up slowly until you loose interest in drinking alcohol. This point is called the switch. In can be a weird and unreal feeling and it can really throw you out of your comfort zone.
    During titration, you will experience one or more, possibly severe side effects.

Step 4
    : After a month or so, you can slowly decrease your baclofen dose till you reach a point where your cravings threaten to return. You increase the dose to the point just before the cravings were going to return and you stay at that dose. This dose is called your maintenance dose. You stay on that dose for a prolonged period.

Step 5
    (This is also a difficult step):

Face the real world, without the haze of alcohol.
    Now that you're cured from your alcoholism, you have a good oversight of your life and can work on tying to repair whatever you damaged in your alcoholic life. This might be financially, material, psychological, social, educational, physical or whatever damage.
    You now have the chance to do something about it.
    If you have any remaining psychological symptoms (and you very likely will have them, because often that was the reason you started drinking alcoholically), you have to look for another treatment, because you will not use alcohol anymore as a medicine for that.

Post scriptum: Of course it is not that
    easy like I described it as above, but those are in my opinion the basic steps.
    There will be a lot of additional shit around each corner you also have to deal with, but most of the time, it will be worth it.
    At least, it will be a whole lot easier than the 12-step program of AA.
    Baclofen will keep you off the alcohol without (too much) effort.
    It will even allow you to drink once in a while (don't tell the medical world or the AA. They will declare you insane), but I doubt you will enjoy it.

Success! And don't forget: Read a lot!
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

5-step baclofen program to cure alcoholism

Hi xadrian,

just to be finicky, but i would say that baclofen isn't a cure for alcoholism. what is is a cure for is mental cravings relating to whatever substance you may have an issue with (or even gambling which isnt a substance). If someone is still of the mindset that they want to drink heavily and without control, then they are still able to do that. HOWEVER, what baclofen did for me, is completely wipe out the cravings so that I now have control over whether i drink or not. I must stress that I was not physically dependent on alcohol, I was what is described as a heavy user (basically one step down from physically dependent) and I know in myself that I had no control over it due to the cravings i had.

rather than see myself as an ex alcoholic who is now in recovery, i like to see myself as an ex alcoholic who's brain has been repaired in such a way that I no longer take part in my pre baclofen alcoholic behaviour through choice.

very very good post by the way.

Comment

Working...
    X