Baclofen and nursing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and nursing

I posted July of last year but the summary is that I was able to get sober with the help of baclofen until I went off baclofen. I went on a month long binge over the summer but went back on bac and got sober again. The next month I found out that I was pregnant, which is why I haven't posted after that. I have no problem staying sober while pregnant but its coming close to my due date (early May) and I want to have a game plan in place. I would like to get back on bac but I also want to nurse. I can't find much literature on nursing and baclofen so I was wondering if anybody had any experience or advice with this subject. I am extremely appreciative of any and all advice! Thank you!

Baclofen and nursing

Congratulations! Please talk to your doctor about this. I am fairly certain that it is contraindicated, but the only person that can give you accurate information is a medical professional.

Comment

Baclofen and nursing

There has been a short thread about breast feeding and baclofen and back then I found some info:

Xadrian;1530321 wrote: "Baclofen Breastfeeding Warnings
      Baclofen is excreted into human milk in very small amounts. One lactating woman received a single 20 mg dose of baclofen and 0.1% of that dose was recovered in her breast milk. However, the effect on her infant, if any, was not reported and no other information is available concerning the effect of baclofen in breast-fed infants. Baclofen is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics."

Source: Baclofen Use During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding | Drugs.com

"Summary of Use during Lactation
      Limited information indicates that baclofen has low levels in milk and would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants, especially if the infant is older than 2 months. Monitor newborn infants for signs of sedation."

Source: Baclofen use while Breastfeeding | Drugs.com

Keep in mind that the above information is probably based on NORMAL use of baclofen and not reflects on HIGH DOSE baclofen.

However, according to the info above, a woman that would take 200 mgs of baclofen, theoretically would excrete 0.2 mg baclofen in the mother's milk. I doubt if that would be dangerous for an infant, but as Colin says: Get your doctor's approval. Don't take any risk.
      Xadrian;1530323 wrote:
      By the way, taking baclofen while pregnant will give some more complications. (same source).
      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Baclofen and nursing

First of all, congrats!!

I would weigh the pros and cons of your sobriety and breastfeeding. Which is more important to you? I tried BF my twins(lol, silly me!) and lasted 48 hours. My singleton was formula fed after 3 days due to mechanical failure on my part. All 3 kids are fine. Just take your omega 3 with DHA and don't worry you are condemning your baby to a life of illness and whatever else formula supposedly does.

Titrate up slowly so you minimize SE and, most of all, ask a doctor about this. Keep him or her in the loop.

Sam

Comment

Working...
        X