Liquid bac expiration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid bac expiration?

Since switching to tablets, I've kept one bottle of liquid on hand for acute anxiety attacks since it's faster acting. Is there an "expiration" I should be concerned about? It was shipped to me last October.

Also, I know there was a thread that got pretty ugly and contentious over what was being charged for liquid bac. But for all the naysayers, I called a local compounding pharmacy and the cost for the equivalent amount would be $180 vs. the $145 (I paid with a credit card so I think I paid $10 more) for 3 100ml bottles at 40mg/ml strength.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Liquid bac expiration?

Check your PM

Sam

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

I'm interested in this as well- I have two 40 mg bottles shipped around then that I quit taking because I was afraid I'd get used to the good stuff. Tablets aren't that bad though, especially at 50 mg.

As good as the liquid was- the strength got way too potent towards the bottom of the bottle. It nearly knocked me on my ass a couple times.

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

Two years is the word on the street.
        In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

After 2 years, baclofen will begin to lose potency to a small degree. How fast depends on how it has been stored. If you have kept it airtight, dark and happy, the degradation will be minimal. If however it has been kept on your windowsill, with the lid off, then maybe it will have degraded a little more. Note that you can still use it, it just isn't at the same strength, and from discussions with Evan, the drop off is minimal at first.

As far as the liquid goes, I would be comfortable taking it after a few years, provided it had been stored correctly, if no mould was present in the bottle. The mould tastes foul.

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

Liquid Baclofen Shelf Life: 3 years
            Per Novartis (Liorseal Liquid)

Lioresal Liquid - Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC) - (eMC)

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

Spirit, I think that's the intra-cathal type?

Sam

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

Samandkatharine;1638559 wrote: Spirit, I think that's the intra-cathal type?

Sam
                Hi Sam -I revisited the Novartis web site and did not see any reference to the intra-cathal type. The site just provided information and guidance about taking baclofen (Lioresal) and how the liquid may better suited for some (instead of the tablets).
                Please let me know if you find otherwise.

Below is a cut from their web site:

Dosage

Lioresal is given orally in either tablet or liquid form. These two formulations are bioequivalent. The liquid may be particularly suitable for children or those adults who are unable to take tablets. Dosage titration can be more precisely managed with the liquid. The lowest dose compatible with an optimal response is recommended.

Before starting treatment with Lioresal it is prudent to realistically assess the overall extent of clinical improvement that the patient may be expected to achieve. Careful titration of dosage is essential (particularly in the elderly) until the patient is stabilised. If too high a dose is initiated or if the dosage is increased too rapidly side effects may occur. This is particularly relevant if the patient is ambulant in order to minimise muscle weakness in the unaffected limbs or where spasticity is necessary for support.

Once the maximum recommended dose has been reached, if the therapeutic effect is not apparent within 6 weeks a decision whether to continue with Lioresal should be taken.

Discontinuation of the treatment should always be gradual by successively reducing the dosage over a period of approximately 1 to 2 weeks, except in overdose-related emergencies, or where serious adverse effects have occurred (see section 4.4).

Adults:

Treatment should be started with a dosage of 15 mg daily, preferably in divided doses. The following gradually increasing dosage regimen is suggested, but should be adjusted to suit individual patient requirements.

5mg three times a day for three days

10mg three times a day for three days

15mg three times a day for three days

20mg three times a day for three days

Satisfactory control of symptoms is usually obtained with doses of up to 60mg daily, but a careful adjustment is often necessary to meet the requirements of each individual patient.

The dose may be increased slowly if required, but a maximum daily dose of more than 100mg is not advised unless the patient is in hospital under careful medical supervision. Small frequent dosage may prove better in some cases than larger spaced doses.

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

I think Evan suspended Baclofen in gylcerol, in that case it should just be the shelf life of the medication. 2 years normally but realistically you can take them longer if its stored well i.e. out of sunlight, and kept out of way of contaminents.
                  01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Liquid bac expiration?

"The dose may be increased slowly if required, but a maximum daily dose of more than 100mg is not advised unless the patient is in hospital under careful medical supervision. Small frequent dosage may prove better in some cases than larger spaced doses"

I didn't know there was a liquid form other than Evan's. I guess the company thinks most high dose bac users should be hospitalized...

Sam

Comment

Working...
                    X