Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zyrtec and anxiety warning

Hi friends-
    About 8 days ago I started taking Zyrtec for my allergies and after only 2 days I started having horrible repetitive thoughts about hurting myself or terrible thoughts about bad things happening. I could convince myself the thoughts were crazy and irrational but I would find myself arguing with myself about it and it was getting mentally exhausting. I also was having really violent, disturbing dreams. I really thought it was the Bac, at first, but I've been on it since Dec. So I did some searching found this is common with Zyrtec and Singulair and really common for people with anxiety who take them. My sister in law even told me a story about her friend's son who was taken off of it because he was scared to use pencils at school cause he thought he would stab his classmates. Anyone else heard of or experienced this? I quit the Zyrtec and threw it out. The allergy dr gave me singulair as back up which I read does the same thing.

Hi Friend,

My son, who has Aspergers and anxiety was on Singulair for years until last year when he moved to Chicago. He is off Singulair but as you know it's still in the 30's where he lives. Once the trees start leafing out, he may need it or Zyrtec again. He took Allegra when he visited earlier in the month and did fine. Have you tried that?

I can't say if the meds caused him to be anxious or if it was situational. Everyone is different. You may be one of those types who can't take Rx or OTC allergy meds. You could try halving the dose, or taking a half am and PM. I'm not a doctor but I've dispensed meds to all of my kids so I may as well be!

If it makes you feel bad to take it, don't Risk it.

Sam

Comment

Hey,yes,yes!!! claritin makes me hyper,mucinex makes my heart race,benydryl knocks me out,allegra gives me strange dizzinesss and a feeling like i cant feel my mouth,weird!! and yes zrytec sux although it works the best,do NOT go near sprays,like nasonex,or the new one nasacort,you will wake up withe the worst anxiety!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey YF.
        Yes. Thanks for the post. Antihistamines can wreak havoc on the already sensitive brain.

Comment

But here's a question,does anybody feel like allergies are worse when a.f?i've wondered about this for awhile,when i drink nothing,when i quit a whole big bag of shite! itchy eyes,runny nose,congestion could it be related?
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

All of this is very interesting! I can't take Benadryl. It makes me tired yet I can't sleep.

Sam

Comment

@pauly-I'll let you know about being AF and allergies. This is my first AF allergy season. I use the Dymista spray and haven't had any issues, so far. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Comment

reported as spam
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

This thread wasn't spam. Was a post deleted that was?

Comment

Samandkatharine;1701153 wrote: This thread wasn't spam. Was a post deleted that was?
                    Sam- sometimes a thread has spam and then it is later deleted by a moderator, so we don't see it anymore- that's probably what Samstone was referring to.

Comment

You are not crazy! I took Zyrtec and had to stop because it was causing mental issues. I was paranoid, irritable, just had a dark feeling. When I stopped taking it, it went away. My husband had the same experience as well. My son took it for awhile and then started behaving erratically. He was irrational, emotional, etc. We took him off it and it stopped. I have not had the same thing happen with Claritin or Benadryl.

Comment

YF~

I can not thank you enough for this thread... I take Claritin D. I have taken it for years on and off. I realized my head really spinning at night from chatter. I have since quit taking and this week is feeling better so far. I still have the chatter its just easier to get away from. AWESOME!

:l

Comment

Working...
                        X