Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to flip your switch to the off position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all become aware at some point through experimentation that a certain amount of alcohol will override indifference and make our old drunken selves come out. I'm not referring to completely undoing indifference through sustained drinking and having to dose back up again, but to situational drinking where after alcohol gets its foot in the door, it becomes pleasurable to get drunk again.

After a lengthy period of indifference, here's what I've observed:

For beer, it takes about 3-4 and a very sincere desire to get sloshed to be capable of going past that. However, in the past few months I've found it difficult to even have more than one. It just doesn't taste that good, and I've given myself few opportunities to want to get sloshed.

For liquor, it's a whole different story. I don't do mixed drinks because I observed long ago that I got totally out of control from them. I don't do shots because they make me violently sick, and violently violent before I get sick. I do drink margaritas because the slushiness keeps me from drinking them too fast and the sugar masks the abrasive tequila taste. They also flip my switch to the off position rather easily. I suspect it's a combination of the alcohol density and the sugar. The sugar sweetens the deal and keeps me drinking it while the tequila bandits sneak in and turn off the alarm system. There's definitely some effect- as I never leave it at just one.

So, I want to open this thread up as to what types of drinks, consumption patterns or situations undo your switch.

I do not have an answer for you. But I do want to say that "tequila bandits" completely made my day. Thank you.

EDIT: Actually, I will give a semi-answer. My thoughts and anxiety are such these days that drinking causes an increase in anxious feelings that's really unpleasant, because I know I shouldn't be drinking and that it's not healthy for me, etc. It takes about 4 beers in pretty rapid succession to get past that, and to click into my old ways. Or not even my old ways, worse than those ways, pretty much intent on getting very drunk, fairly quickly. Such was the case 2 weeks ago when I was in NY, anyway.

Comment

Ditto "tequila bandits." Lol . . . kinda'. I will confess that I have met that enemy.

Athough I have yet to be derailed, I think because I recognized early on that any amount of drinking had to be done with immense respect for that moment when I "felt" freedom, a good margarita still grabs be now and then.

But it's a damned good question and a damnder good point, Fred. And one that I think many people miss along the way. Baclofen is a self-particpatory way out.
      "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

So far, I can't have more than 1-2 glasses of wine. No more. That's maybe every other week?

Sam

Comment

I've found it's very easy to drink on bac if the desire is there. I can, and have downed an entire fifth of vodka over a day, even after hitting my switch dose. Red hit the nail right on the head. Bac is a self-participatory way out. I doesn't make you not want to drink per se, but it gives you the option to say no. I think a lot of newbies who come here seeking bac don't understand this.
          In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
          X