passed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passed out

spiritwolf333;1646941 wrote: Amazing. Where are the doctors?
    um. Wait. He's being seen by a doctor. The doctor he's seeing has agreed that he can go up to 80 mg. From the looks of it, it wouldn't have been a very wise decision on the doctor's part to give him carte blanche to go up higher. It was very ill advised, obviously, to take as much baclofen as he did and certainly was done on his own accord. Furthermore, there are several doctors in Rotterdam who treat with high dose baclofen. JoannaD has been in contact with high-falutin' people in the recovery industry there about high dose baclofen. Colin has a doctor. Lowcountryman had a doctor.

The doctors are there, aren't they? Or am I missing something?

Comment

passed out

And I wonder to what end it is to blame doctors when someone does something ridiculous like titrating up too quickly? No offense, Frankie, but you had the prescribing guide. Next time you could end up in A and E. And for sure, at that point, it will be that baclofen is a terrible choice for alcoholics because you chose to try to take as much as possible.

I've said it before, I'll say it again (and again, and again) it doesn't work like that. You cannot (Spirit!) take a bunch of baclofen in a short amount of time and expect results. Because it doesn't work like that. You don't have to take my word for it, you just have to read the research. Or the many, many threads of anecdotal evidence here. Start with JDizzle's thread. He rushed it, too. And guess what? It didn't work. He sees it that baclofen didn't work. I see it that he didn't give baclofen the chance to work.

Does it always work? Nope. But if it's going to work, rushing headlong into a bunch of pills isn't the way to figure it out.

And there are plenty of doctors for those who care to look. Rather than ask why aren't they, perhaps making a map of where they are...Or actually asking people who have made that connection, and then doing it, would be the right approach. If Otter is right and there are physicians reading this, do you think they would be encouraged to participate? Hell, based on this crowd, I don't even know if they would prescribe! And for good reason.

Comment

passed out

spiritwolf333;1646941 wrote: Amazing. Where are the doctors?
        Oh, the irony.

Comment

passed out

Ne, I wished you hadn't pulled your previous post. It needed to be said. There's already enough resistance to prescribing baclofen as it is. A well-publicized mishap has the potential to turn the medical establishment completely against baclofen as a treatment for addiction.
          In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

passed out

It's painful to say the same things too many times and still not be heard.

He has a doctor. He didn't listen to his doctor. Rotterdam is a hotbed of baclofen activity.

He overdosed on baclofen and passed out. (Could have been a seizure, too. just sayin') Frankie, you have the prescribing guide and input from several people here telling you what is most likely to work and be effective without harming yourself. You completely disregard all of that advice in addition to the medical advice. What you're thinking has been thought before, and it's been done before and guess what? It didn't work. There are a couple of options: 1. You end up in the A and E and yet another alcoholic destroys the reputation of baclofen because he thinks he's special and can do it his own way. 2. You quit and deem baclofen too dangerous/scary/overwhelming because you took too much too quickly. 3. You quietly stop taking baclofen and keep drinking alcoholically. Those options all suck. Read the prescribing guide, stick to it, and live long and prosper.

Do you suppose, spirit, that a doctor would be encouraged to reach out here? Or even to prescribe baclofen based on these posts? Not just the ones where people continue to abuse the drug that saved our lives, but the ones where we disparage doctors? Do you also suppose that insisting that doctors are our enemies encourages people to make the call? To reach out? Can you think of any more empowering ways to suggest that doctors should and could be more involved? Most of all, I hate the hand-wringing. If you're not going to do anything about it, stop asking for help and stop whining about it. just sayin' (I know it's harsh, but the last three times someone has posted "Where are the doctors?" the original poster actually had a doctor. Even Evan had doctors. It's irony bordering on tragically ridiculous.)

Comment

passed out

Feeling much better . stickin to 80mg for now.

drank 2 beers 6 hours ago and got the 3rd waiting for me half empty from 6 hours ago also.

i'm sure I will drink tonight but for now im feeling very ok without it.

I am new to this, I will mess up , Fall and stand up, All feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Frankie

Comment

passed out

Frankie78;1646917 wrote: I am not a 12 stepper. felt like indoctrination to me though I feel it is good for a lot people. The sponsor and meetings thing is not how I want to live my life.
                It doesn't sound it would be something for me either.

Frankie78;1646917 wrote:
                They did not mention baclofen during the 6 weeks I was there and never heard any of the people there talk about it so I wonder how the research is being done. If the trial still admits participants I will gladly join . Will call right now to see what is what.
                Be aware that 33% will get the high dose baclofen, 33% will get only a low dose baclofen and another 33% will get a placebo. It will still be a trial.

So the chance is only 33% that you will get the high dose, in the event you will be admitted.
                If you get the placebo, you probably will notice immediately.
                Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

passed out

@Ne/Neva Eva

I very much apreciate your post. I am new here and came to learn. from people like you, I understand you hate how i say certain things and you probably know a lot more, but slow down on the judging, thanks

I am here to learn and all info is more than welcome.

Thanks.,

Frankie

Comment

passed out

@xadrian.
                    I called all those. 2 will not admit me. 2 have stopped in the research

Comment

passed out

Frankie78;1646970 wrote: @Ne/Neva Eva
                      ... but slow down on the judging, thanks
                      I will.

Glad to have you here, Frankie. And glad you want to learn. It isn't easy, but it was definitely worth it for me. I hope you have the same results.

Comment

passed out

Professionele hulp voor alcoholverslaving, drugsverslaving en andere verslavingsvormen - RoderSana is a non 12-step clinic where I asked for baclofen and was treated with such. Highly recommended.

Comment

passed out

Ne/Neva Eva;1646964 wrote: It's painful to say the same things too many times and still not be heard.

He has a doctor. He didn't listen to his doctor. Rotterdam is a hotbed of baclofen activity.

He overdosed on baclofen and passed out. (Could have been a seizure, too. just sayin') Do you suppose, spirit, that a doctor would be encouraged to reach out here? Or even to prescribe baclofen based on these posts? Not just the ones where people continue to abuse the drug that saved our lives, but the ones where we disparage doctors? Do you also suppose that insisting that doctors are our enemies encourages people to make the call? To reach out? Can you think of any more empowering ways to suggest that doctors should and could be more involved? Most of all, I hate the hand-wringing. If you're not going to do anything about it, stop asking for help and stop whining about it. just sayin' (I know it's harsh, but the last three times someone has posted "Where are the doctors?" the original poster actually had a doctor. Even Evan had doctors. It's irony bordering on tragically ridiculous.)

Ne -perhaps I should have been more direct in my comment. (and Ne, I did want to see if you were still awake -Where are the Doctors?)

You see, here we have someone posting that they took enough baclofen to feel like they were on ecstasy (how does that feel? -lol) -right off the bat. They "say" that they knowingly took more baclofen than they should ever possibly take. This information alone immediately leads me to believe that someone is once again trying to discredit medications for alcoholism -intentionally or not.

Ne -where are the doctors? The particular doctor that I was referring to was a doctor who could truly help this type of person. I should have clarified this or used a totally different term.

But Ne, it is important to keep trying to get valid, useful information out to the doctors regarding baclofen and other medications to help with alcoholism. We might want to keep trying to realize that we are the front line of the medications being used for addictions. Yes, several of you ole timers helped bring us to the point that we are now, but we are still in the very infinite stages of medications for alcoholism.

And yes Ne, threads like this one would turn most anyone away from baclofen -doctors or people in need of freedom.

Comment

passed out

@spiritwolf

Thank you!

Comment

passed out

spiritwolf333;1647053 wrote: The particular doctor that I was referring to was a doctor who could truly help this type of person. I should have clarified this or used a totally different term.
                              The particular doctor you were referring to, gave this type of person you were referring to, a 2 week supply of 75 mg, while he gave him 45 mg per day before.

So, what exactly has this particular doctor done wrong in your opinion?

This person should have taken just the 75 mg (or even better: titrate up slowly to 75 mg)per day and make a follow-up appointment with his doctor to evaluate.

Nothing wrong with this particular doctor so far, in my opinion.
                              Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

passed out

@Xadrian

This doctor has no blame, like many doctors has no knowledge on addiction or baclofen,

Comment

Working...
                                X