• Show
Clear All

Hello. New here

* #1*(permalink) ****

*Today, 05:07 PM

Vmarie1*

Gallery: 0

Hi!

I have been off and on another site and felt that this one was a bit better for me. I am a happily married mother of two. I work full-time and enjoy working out and drinking. I am married to someone who also enjoys drinking a bit more than he should so for me that is so challenging. Drinking has not interfered with my life drastically however I think I definitely need to slow down. I am seeing my Dr in May to begin topirimate. Can someone who is taking this please tell me if there is an average dose. I know everyone is different and it won't be the same for all but it would be nice to know where some are at. I have read the side effects can be nasty. I have read some have hair loss. Anyone here?

Hello. New here

I answered your question in the "Just starting out" forum - don't want to cross post.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Hello. New here

:welcome:

Comment

Hello. New here

Hi VMarie,

Welcome!
        I've been on Topamax for 2 1/2 months now. Currently taking 150mg (I started at 25mg and increased by 25mg a week, and have stopped at 150mg - for now. My script allows me to go up to 200mg so I may go up still).

I've had very few side effects so far. I think people who post reviews are the ones with bad side effects, so there seem to be a lot, but if it works well for someone, maybe they don't post? I understand your worry, I am always checking how much hair I loose when I wash it. So far, so good though.

Actually, the worst was the first week on 25mg. It made me feel quite stoned, to the point where I wouldn't have wanted to drive. Then I adapted, and now I find it makes me sleepy but nothing over the top. I take my full dose in the evening instead of splitting it in am/pm doses as the book suggested and it helps me sleep through the night.

As I said, no hair loss that I've noticed, no memory issues or weight loss either. I did get the tingling in hands and feet the first few weeks, but made sure to eat well, stay hydrated and that all went away.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X