Funny thing/rereading End of My Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just inherited my soon-to-be-ex's Kindle (she upgraded), so I bought a copy of End of My Addiction. I read a library copy last summer in an alcoholic fog. Reading it now with a clear head, I was cracking up over the fact that even in an alcoholic stupor, Dr. A. went through a LOT of girlfriends over the course of the book. I guess not even alcoholism could quash that stereotypical French savoir faire when it comes to women.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

He looked like an older Anderson Cooper.

Sam

Comment

Don't know why women always go for guys like that. When someone goes through a lot of girlfriends, or a lot of pets, or a lot of jobs you know something's going on.

Comment

Fred_The_Cat;1649088 wrote: Don't know why women always go for guys like that. When someone goes through a lot of girlfriends, or a lot of pets, or a lot of jobs you know something's going on.
        F**king awesomeness is going on! Excitement! Adventure! Or something like that anyway...

But he was a doctor, spoke fluent English, French, and German, and was a talented pianist. Add to that he was pretty attractive, and it all starts to make sense.

Comment

I've not read the book although a friend read it for me.

I'd have put his different relationships down to either his excessive drinking causing issues - ok at start, but falls apart due to his excess drinking, and/or him being an relationship seeking alcoholic. Many alcoholics can be clingy, needy, think they need someone, get scared, get their own back. Insecurities, anxieties, that sort of thing.
          I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Some of us just have a thing for alcoholic men. (Who else is going to put up with our drinking?)

Who speak several languages. And are cardiologists. Did I mention that he's French? Ooolala. I think he was kinda on the shortish side, though. I like my guys tall...But that is easily overlooked because of the French thing. And the smarty-pants thing.

I suppose I still have a thing for (recovered) alcoholic men, given how I feel about the one I married.

Definitely a ladies man...He was engaged when he died and I think they were to be married this summer. RIP, OA. He gave it a good run.

Comment

That poor woman he held at arm's length and wouldn't commit to kind of pissed me off. Especially when she ended up being the one who sent him the baclofen article.

Comment

Fred_The_Cat;1651696 wrote: That poor woman he held at arm's length and wouldn't commit to kind of pissed me off. Especially when she ended up being the one who sent him the baclofen article.
                He was an alcoholic just doing the decent thing! Let's not get holier than thou.

Comment

Working...
                X