Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is better - Baclofen or Naltrexone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    Would love input from those who have tried these meds. I know everyones' chemistry and reaction to meds may vary but it would be very helpful to get some feedback about the success and side effects of baclofen and naltrexone. I did try baclofen for awhile and it did reduce my cravings and I drank less but didn't quit altogether. I got really constipated on the bac which was the major reason I stopped taking it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Baclofen is better, in Dr A's book he pointed to some studies that showed naltrexone was not very effective. at the time there were no studies on bac but now there are 3 which show around a 70% success, if you include those who quit because of sides its probably even higher. I dont have the numbers for naltrexone success but you could probably find some studies on pubmed, pretty sure they wouldnt be as high as baclofen.

as to constipation, i know all about that having been abusing opiates for years. have you looked at your diet? ensure that you get sufficient fiber and water. for fiber you want to make sure that you get enough insoluble fiber and soluble fiber. bran is the best for this, a bowl in the morning and even at night if you need it will give you all the fiber you need. throw in vegies for more fiber throughout the day.
    01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

I know many successful Bac users and only 1-2 successful Naltrexone users. I went from a bottle to 1 1/2 bottles of wine every nite to 1-2 glasses a month in 5 months on baclofen.

I too had terrible bouts of constipation on baclofen. For a period of time I used Swiss
      Kriss at night. Once I started adding lots of fiber, exercise and healthy fats my body took over. Think of all the liquid we drink with our AL, but then we stop drinking! Our bodies need water.

Sam

Comment

Wow. U don't know how much I appreciate your comments. Thank you!

Comment

Naltrexone had no impact on my cravings at all, but maybe I threw the towel in too soon.

Comment

From reading about The Sinclair Method, the studies involving Naltrexone all used it wrong. It only works if you take it and drink (or use opiates) with it for a while. It can only extinguish cravings if you drink with it, so I wouldn't dismiss it based on studies that used it incorrectly. I took Naltrexone years ago and said it didn't work, but my doctor gave me the exact wrong instructions: he said to take it and try to abstain. It only extinguishes cravings if you drink with it, apparently.

So, if baclofen side-effects are too much for you, you might try Naltrexone the right way - meaning, take it an hour before you drink and do that every day for a few months.

Comment

Naltrexone (TSM) definitely does work but for most you really have to put the time in as it can take quite a while. This is where its a sort of a shot in the dark.... You could keep going and after a year realise its not for you. Saying that if your gonna keep drinking anyway you might as well take the pill before hand.

Where most people go wrong is not following the golden rule to the letter. Always take your pill an hour before drinking. If you don't do this its just a waste of time.

All that being said it just plain doesn't work for alot of people.

My first time round I'd knocked my units from 100 to under 40 a week. I just couldn't get past the 2nd or 3rd beer. What it never did for me (6 months) was touch my cravings. They where as strong as ever. I looked at it as a sort of damage limitation pill.

I've tried again for a second time and it didn't go as good as the last. To be honest I didn't really give it time but I just couldn't be arsed drining anymore. I want to be teetotal.

Sadly Baclofen sent me up the wall.

Both have their down sides IMO. The ones who don't make it probably never come back here to post so the numbers of who made it and who didn't is anyones guess.

I'd like to add that both books are a bit misleading. The TSM books time frame is full of s**t for the most part, also the success rate. The Dr A book makes Bac look like a walk in the park. That imo was full of s**t also. I never made it past 120 as I thought I was going insane. If I had have had to get to over 200 even closer to 300 like some I'd have ended up in the nut house.

Well thats my view I'm starting antabuse next week. I know it doesn't help with cravings but it sure as hell stops you drinking which is all I care about atm.

Comment

I was on naltrexone for a while a couple/few years back. as mentioned, you need to take it an hour before drinking. it did nothing to stop my cravings but did work on slowing down my intake. i recall that whereas i was a steady 6-8 x 500ml cans a night, on naltrexone it slowed me down to about 2-3. i didn't give it a whole lot of time though before i dropped it.

Comment

chelsea98;1654968 wrote: I was on naltrexone for a while a couple/few years back. as mentioned, you need to take it an hour before drinking. it did nothing to stop my cravings but did work on slowing down my intake. i recall that whereas i was a steady 6-8 x 500ml cans a night, on naltrexone it slowed me down to about 2-3. i didn't give it a whole lot of time though before i dropped it.
                  This is only my opinion but what you said is exectly how I think its meant to work.. or even just does work. That being said, its a hell of a let better drinking 2-3 than drinking 6-8. I just got bored/lazy i the end and wanted to stop full stop.

I've tried to look behind the science lots of times. What I do know is that alcohol is the greatest pain killer I''ve ever taken and I've taken all the opiates (bar IV) and alcohol trumps them all. So it makes sense that it kills the buzz. The craving and "extention" process is still a mystery to me.

Don't get me wrong TSM does work for some. Its a fact. I remember speaking to Loop about it and saying I had my doubts after stopping it. He even said himself that he personally knew people who had benn "cured" by TSM.

I posted in another thread and never got a replie.. but if anyone is having trouble with the booze and wants to give TSM a shot I have a supply I no longer need. If it helps someone I'd be more than happy. I no longer partake i TSM. It might just work for someone out there.

His words gold to me

Comment

... I'm starting antabuse next week. I know it doesn't help with cravings but it sure as hell stops you drinking which is all I care about atm.
                    Antabuse didn't stop me drinking. It did nearly kill me because my blood pressure went so high.

Comment

CrazyCatLady;1655056 wrote: Antabuse didn't stop me drinking. It did nearly kill me because my blood pressure went so high.
                      So, in that respect it nearly did stop you from drinking :-(
                      Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Naltrexone must be taken each time you drink for a long time, when it works it works beautifully but many people don't feel relief from it so usually give up or are not consistent.

The Eskapa book underestimates the time for it to work, I say 6-12 months. For me it halved my units overnight - although I then started drinking more frequently because it was suddenly very safe - so weekly units didn't decrease BUT I was able to function and was in a lot less danger when I did drink. One thing a lot of TSM followers find is that angry, dangerous behaviours tend to cease fairly early on.

The one thing I think Eskapa was right about is the readdiction process being faster than the deaddiction and this is bourne out by the few TSM successes who have then decided they are cured, so can drink without nal. They were soon readdicted and back to square one.

It took 6 months for my cravings to disappear, but within that time I saw my units drop hugely which allowed me to get into what I call 'recovery'. I was able to function and start working on myself, rebuilding my life.

Baclofen did not do this for me.
                        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Xadrian;1655119 wrote: So, in that respect it nearly did stop you from drinking :-(
                          Touch

Comment

Working...
                          X