Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling spaced out on Baclofen

Hi

My first post here. I'm on 80 mg of Baclofen per day and have cut back - but not eliminated - my drinking. The thing is that I'm feeling "spaced out" all the time. It's kind of a mix between the buzz that you get when you have a drink and not feeling quite with it at the same time, plus quite tired.

Is this normal and does it go away? I'm finding it so weird that I am thinking of giving up on the Baclofen.

It's a side effect of baclofen, some say it goes away as you get used to it, or up the dose.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Welcome to the new norm, at least for me. I'm indifferent at 60mg, dosed 3 times a day. I'm best in the AM but can get sleepy after lunch. I'm way better than when I started late last year, but I'm still spacey and forgetful at times.

Sam

Comment

Hi, davelet,

Yes, what you're describing was also my experience. I always split my baclofen dose into 4 doses spaced throughout the day. Try this if you haven't. I rarely drank as I titrated up. That may have helped. Hang in there. The tiredness will dissipate. Good luck.

Comment

The side effects you mention can be annoying but they do go away in time. Much better than continuing to drink alcoholically, which for me is a much harder life. Best of luck to you!

Comment

I've just started on it today (I think - I'm on a trial so unsure if I'm on the active drug or placebo but I think it's the drug) and I feel spaced out too. Not in a totally pleasant way. I think it will go away in time.

Comment

Hi Dave, that was my experience as well. I am on 150mg a day right now and did get pretty sleepy after a dose as I was titrating upwards (I dose three times a day).

Comment

Hi. Thanks for all your responses. It certainly is a lot better now - at least the spaced-out feeling has mostly gone. That might be helped by the fact that I have now stopped drinking. Wouldn't say I have hit my "switch" but it's a lot easier now just not to drink. I'm on 100 mg. The big lethargy problem remains, though - I could barely get myself out of bed this morning.

Comment

Hey, Davelet.

It's important to remember that the whole getting-sober-thing isn't just about not drinking. (I mean, it starts there obviously. But wait! There's more.)

The changes are physical as well as mental. And even though my drinking tapered off for more than a month as I approached my switch, the changes when I actually stopped drinking were pretty dramatic. I'm notorious for blaming everything on bac (or the moon. Whatever). And of course, it comes with side effects. As you go forward, though, you'll likely notice a bunch of changes and they won't all be about baclofen. It's been said a bazillion times, and I hate saying it because I don't do it consistently, but exercise helps.

Cheers. Or not.

Comment

Working...
                  X