Baclofen W/D Help (Urgent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xadrian;1657281 wrote: Since you already skipped some doses, I would take at least 45 mgs today. A little faster indeed won't hurt.
    I've taken 45 since I got the script about 5 hours ago. Feel better, but it definitely wasn't a case of pop a few Baclofen and you're back to normal. Took 20mg immediately, then 10mg anout 2 hours later. Took another 15mg about 30 minutes ago. Now I'm close to feeling back to "normal" - whatever that is.

Part of me is tempted to take 60mg today, then do a longer taper starting at a lower dose starting tomorrow. That's probably not the best way though, right?

Comment

Morning, Loki.

In my first year of attempting to get sober with baclofen, I quit taking it cold turkey several times. The first time, I had been taking it for 5 weeks and was up to 75 mg. I didn't experience any noticeable withdrawals. That was just the first time and there were at least two others that I remember clearly.

I don't often share this information because it's really not a good idea. But in this case, I think it's important to understand that I have both a personal history and also some knowledge based on reading a lot about baclofen for the last three or four years.

So I'm going to suggest that there are some other life factors going on here that I hope you'll get some help with. (Either support from the people here, professional help or other...) You mentioned PTSD from previous withdrawals, some extremely stressful life circumstances, compounded by lack of health insurance and strained financial resources. Just your daughter's health is enough to make a person extremely anxious. (I'm very sorry, by the way, and I hope she's getting better.)

Perhaps the reason the baclofen is making you feel better is because you need some relief from this overwhelming anxiety, and not because you are experiencing withdrawal.

I know that in the hospital I work in (and no, I'm not a medical person) there are support systems in place for family members of someone who is critically or chronically ill. We don't need proof of insurance or money to provide those services. And they may even be pro bono if you qualify. (I can't begin to imagine what your particular situation is, of course.) The hardest thing about those programs is often that people just don't know about them and doctors/nurses just don't provide the information, unless they know there is a need.

At the very least, a local clinic may be able to hook you up with a more conventional anxiolytic so that you can feel better for the long term.

Finally, a word of caution: I am posting this because of your post indicating that you took the baclofen just a few short hours apart. Like any other medication, especially one that treats anxiety, taking it to feel immediately better can lead to escalating use and ultimately a crash. This stuff isn't addictive, but it is effective for many people. Which means that it will make you feel better when you've got it and when you don't it will make you feel really awful. If your intent is truly to stop taking it, then I hope you'll set up a schedule and stick to it. If not, then you can order it online when finances permit but please (please!) take it judiciously. There are too many accounts of people who take way too much way too quickly and end up freaking out.

Take good care of yourself and your family. Wish you the best.

Comment

Ne/Neva Eva;1657419 wrote: Morning, Loki.

In my first year of attempting to get sober with baclofen, I quit taking it cold turkey several times. The first time, I had been taking it for 5 weeks and was up to 75 mg. I didn't experience any noticeable withdrawals. That was just the first time and there were at least two others that I remember clearly.

I don't often share this information because it's really not a good idea. But in this case, I think it's important to understand that I have both a personal history and also some knowledge based on reading a lot about baclofen for the last three or four years.

So I'm going to suggest that there are some other life factors going on here that I hope you'll get some help with. (Either support from the people here, professional help or other...) You mentioned PTSD from previous withdrawals, some extremely stressful life circumstances, compounded by lack of health insurance and strained financial resources. Just your daughter's health is enough to make a person extremely anxious. (I'm very sorry, by the way, and I hope she's getting better.)

Perhaps the reason the baclofen is making you feel better is because you need some relief from this overwhelming anxiety, and not because you are experiencing withdrawal.

I know that in the hospital I work in (and no, I'm not a medical person) there are support systems in place for family members of someone who is critically or chronically ill. We don't need proof of insurance or money to provide those services. And they may even be pro bono if you qualify. (I can't begin to imagine what your particular situation is, of course.) The hardest thing about those programs is often that people just don't know about them and doctors/nurses just don't provide the information, unless they know there is a need.

At the very least, a local clinic may be able to hook you up with a more conventional anxiolytic so that you can feel better for the long term.

Finally, a word of caution: I am posting this because of your post indicating that you took the baclofen just a few short hours apart. Like any other medication, especially one that treats anxiety, taking it to feel immediately better can lead to escalating use and ultimately a crash. This stuff isn't addictive, but it is effective for many people. Which means that it will make you feel better when you've got it and when you don't it will make you feel really awful. If your intent is truly to stop taking it, then I hope you'll set up a schedule and stick to it. If not, then you can order it online when finances permit but please (please!) take it judiciously. There are too many accounts of people who take way too much way too quickly and end up freaking out.

Take good care of yourself and your family. Wish you the best.
        Thank you! That is all very helpful and you are correct on all counts. In my gut, I didn't think I would encounter any life threatening withdrawals. And yes, certainly, PTSD from past w/d's is certainly a part of it.

When all of the issues first began with my daughter I did begin on an anti-anxiety med, per my DR, and have also increased the antidepressant I was on (Wellbutrin - which in the end I decided against d/c while withdrawing from the Baclofen), and added Prozac as well.

We're currently seeking out other means of support for ourselves and our daughter.

A lot of the increased anxiety was due to the fact that there was a lot of anxiety involved in the possibility of any severe w/d because it would be too much stress for my family to handle right now.

It's extremely reassuring to hear that you went off 75mg cold turkey with no issues. Just out of curiosity, have you been one to have difficulty with w/d from other substances in the past? I've always been very, very sensitive to withdrawal.

Comment

loki485;1657546 wrote:
          It's extremely reassuring to hear that you went off 75mg cold turkey with no issues. Just out of curiosity, have you been one to have difficulty with w/d from other substances in the past? I've always been very, very sensitive to withdrawal.
          I stuck to alcohol and eschewed medications and drugs. Until baclofen. They always interfered with the booze, anyway. Of course, baclofen did that too, but that was the whole point! :H

I think everyone is "sensitive to withdrawal"! It sucks, man. But yes, I think that my essential anxiety makes me more susceptible to side effects or effects in general. I used to be the one that got the side effects that only 0.000001% of the global population experienced. So I feel ya' on that one.

Now? Not so much. I really liked that wellbutrin made me feel less depressed and have more energy, but it increased my anxiety. That's not an unusual effect of that medication. There are some others that are both antidepressant and anti-anxiety, and that's something you can explore with your doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X