Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing up Bac to your Kaiser doctor

Hi All,

I haven't been around in a while. Looked over the forum and it's heartbreaking/ heartwarming to see everyone needing, trying, finding success. :l

I'm still taking the bac. Had some great success. Then had some serious life changes, everything better in every way, and that overwhelmed me. Since then I've lost my momentum. Still hopeful, have to make this work, have to stop waking up saying 'not today' and by the time I'm on the way home from work stopping at the liquor store.

I am back up to 260 trying to reclaim the switch and the price is a bit steep. I'm using Inhouse. I am seeing a psychiatrist in the Bay Area (the pill pusher kind/ not the talk therapy kind) under my work's insurance for anxiety. The only SE I get from HDB is anxiety, rumination... so we are experimenting w/ Paxil etc. I am very tempted to bring my situation up w/ my doctor but don't want it on my record, especially if they refuse to prescribe bac.

Can anyone enlighten me? Am i paranoid? Or is it unwise to say, 'by the way doctor, i drink against my will and for 3 years have been self medicating using high dose baclofen from overseas pharmacies and liquid marked 'not for human consumption'" ? I mean, once that is out of the bag, and they look at you like you are insane and refuse to support you, you can't just say, Just kidding, I'll take my Xanax and go. Then they'll type it up in my Kaiser record and it will be there forever.

But if they say Yes then I get a good, cheap constant supply of Walgreen's bac.

Please advise. I looked at the 'Doctors that prescribe bac' thread but wonder if I should try to get it under my insurance first.

I haven't been here in a long time but it is a great comfort knowing there is a least one place to turn about questions like this. Otherwise I am an island.

Thanks!
    Jack

Hi Jack,

I'm in the Bay Area too. My GP Rx's 30mg and says it's for back spasms. There are doctors that will give more but they are addiction doctors. Most doctors will try and not use alcohol as a diagnosis.

There is a doctor in SF but he's expensive and takes no insurance. I get mine from river or in house. Better to have an rx though.

Sam

Comment

Thanks Sam. So you told your doctor you wanted Bac for alk and (s)he said Ok but prescribed it for back spasms and kept it off your record? Was it work insurance?

In my previous location my doctor was prescribing 80mg for back spasms but the doctor really thought I had back pain. I would Google 'back spasms' before every monthly visit to recall the symptoms. He went up to 80mg because the Wikipedia article i showed him showed that was an allowable limit! At that time I was on about 200mg.

Comment

Yes. Blue shield of CA thru my husbands work. I have a supply of pills and liquid but I will go back to get a current rx when I need to. Getting hdb via an rx can be a bit tricky. I don't think of 80mg as being high dose though.

Sam

Comment

That's what I'm wondering, do I approach my Dr with 'i think i drink too much and want to try bac' or 'i've been on hdb for 3 years and want to get a prescription now' and see how high they will go. And is it a concern to get it on your official record? Will this hurt my life/car insurance rates? I don't know what gets public. Or doctors are people who want to help and i should ask to have a convo about my health off the record.

btw Sam, saw your thread... Paws sucks, hope you're feeling well and go Giants

Comment

Working...
          X