Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citalopram, any thoughts on it?

Hi all,

I have just gotten back from my Dr & YAY, my liver count has returned to normal!

Whilst there we had a chat, (he knows all about my probs with AL) and he thought I might benefit from being on Citalopram 10mg daily. I have suffered from mild anxiety & mood swings whilst staying sober. Thankfully they are nowhere near as bad as the full blown panic attacks I had whilst I was drinking. All exasperated by the booze.

Has anyone else had any experience with taking Citalopram? I am currently on no other meds. I am very worried about becoming addicted to them & having to go through a nightmare to get off them. DH is worried that I am replacing one addiction with another.

I have searched & had a look around on MWO, but couldn't find a direct thread.

Any insight would be hugely appreciated. Sorry if I sound a jessy woos, but dealing with one addiction is bad enough right now, without becoming dependant on meds!

HUGE

:thanks:
    I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

As with most SSRIs, it's probably best if you tapered off if you needed or ever wanted to stop. But as far as going into full-blown withdrawals as one would when going off alcohol, opiates or narcotics, I don't think that is a concern. One doctor suggested citalopram to me and another was fairly dismissive, saying it takes weeks to feel the effects of an antidepressant and that's after finding correct dose. So I can't say anything about it's efficacy since I've never been on it and have been given conflicting opinions.

Maybe do a search here for "SSRI." Even though it's not specific to the drug that's been suggested to you, you might unearth some useful information. Also look under "celexa," the brand name.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

I think you're thinking of two different things.

People who have anxiety and/or depression may need to take medication to treat those conditions. Just like diabetics may need to take insulin. Some diabetics can control their early-stage diabetes with lifestyle changes. Most diabetics need to take insulin and change their lifestyle. It's worth noting that the lifestyle changes are usually pretty dramatic, and they are for a lifetime.

Depression and anxiety disorders are no less medical than diabetes. They are both illnesses of the brain and body, not of the mind. (Changing the mind helps with recovery. The first step is...I bet you know.) So. People who make dramatic lifelong lifestyle changes may find that it treats their depression/anxiety. People who don't see that change need medication. So they take medication. It's a treatment. Not a crutch.

Citalopram is very commonly prescribed for both anxiety and depression. There is a lot of horrific information on the internet about SSRIs, but it doesn't change the fact that A LOT of people find them to to be a very positive change and for some it's life-saving. It's not a matter of being addicted. Addiction is something that harms you. Taking medication for something, short term or long term, doesn't harm you. When I discuss medications with my doctor, I bring up my reservations and see what the doctor has to say. Maybe you could do the same. And maybe your husband could participate in the conversation, because it sounds like he might need some education and reassurance.

Congratulations on your sobriety!

Comment

My thoughts are that medications used for depression and other mental health 'conditions' can be very useful, however I have also learned that many of them are not based on good science and some speculate that they also create an altered state, a sort of mask covering how you really are so you never get to explore that. My experience is that some medication can really make a difference and get you going again, which is great but not quite sure if they are sometimes used to mask symptoms which for some may be a way of coping and dealing with life.

Apparently most people would fit into a DSM diagnosis, and I have heard many people who are given DSM diagnosis could easily be placed in another, different DSM category.
        I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

I've been on various SSRIs for anxiety and panic attacks. they helped with my panic attacks but my anxiety was never really helped. I now take effexor which is a serotonin and noradrenalin reuptake inhibitor along with mirtazapine, this seems to be working much better.

As to being addicted to SSRIs, you can't get addicted to SSRIs your body becomes dependent on them, big difference. When you are dependent on them, when you stop suddently after a few days you will experience a discontinuation syndrome. I've gone through this twice on zoloft, its unplesant but hardly lives up to the horrors you read about online. These can be mostly mitigated with a taper if you choose to stop.

As to their effectiveness, look to studies and what the doctors say, there is plenty of proof that these medications work and are safe, they prescribe them for a first line treatment for a reason.
          01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Hi Autumn
            I have been using it for the past year and it has been the best ssri I have taken. It is quite effective with few side effects. None for me anyways. I have not tried to get off however. I imagine you would have to Wean offf slowly but there is no risk of addiction.
            R4L
            Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Thanks so much everyone,

The advice has been really useful and helpful. I will start taking them today now that I am reassured that they are not addictive. The horrors of coming off the booze (for the umpteenth time) are thankfully still painfully raw. I don't ever want to go through anything like that ever again :upset:

:thanks:

Autumn
              I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Working...
              X