campral - scale it up, or jump in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been prescribed 2 doses of 333mg each. After struggling with this for a while, I decided trying to sobriety is the optimal choice.
    Given all side effects - should I stick with the 4 tablets a day from get-go:

or ramp up: maybe 1 x 2 times, 3, 4 a day?

I've washed out of other medications b/c of side effects, so looking for the approach that most likely will work long-term.

Thanks!

Campral is dosed based on bodyweight, but I don't know what that is based upon. I've learned that apparently many meds are prescribed based upon empirical observations, ie there's not a lot of science behind it other than "we gave people this amount and they felt the best results". As far as I'm aware there's no titrating required, if you are worried re side effects - and Campral is pretty low on the scale of things, or have limited supply then you might try a lower dose, but if not then why not give yourself the best chance?
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

When I was on Campral, I was prescribed 666mg 3 times a day, but then I am a 190 pound (86 kg) male. My advice would be to trust your doctor and not self-medicate. If it's not working, go back to them and say so. It's my understanding from both my psychiatrist and family doctor that beyond certain doses, taking more of many medications does not render the more potent. And even if this wasn't the case with Campral, I wouldn't want to open myself up to any of Campral's more objectionable side effects, mainly gastric distress and diarrhea. Again, just trust your doctor. You won't feel any effects from it for about a week anyway, so just be patient. There was a poster here (who came and went like the wind) who decided after 3 or 4 days that Campral was a failure. I would advise not being that person.
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
      X