Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loads of Baclofen I don't need here (UK)...what's the best way to dispose of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loads of Baclofen I don't need here (UK)...what's the best way to dispose of it?

I guess the safest way to dispose of it is to return it to the pharmacy (?). That's what they recommend.

After all passing it on to someone else in need is just not allowed is it?!!

Please PM me if you know of a better way to handle this (international friends' advice is also most welcome )

I don't want to flush it all down the toilet or just return it to the pharmacy to be destroyed!!!

I'd only like private contact please from folk who really know what they're doing with Baclofen - we're all different but even small doses, when I started, it made me collapse.

xxx

<edit> Bac does work for me - I just have more than I need!
    Last edited by eight days a week; March 3, 2015, 04:31 AM.
    I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Originally posted by eight days a week View Post
    I guess the safest is to return it to the pharmacy (?). That's what they recommend.

After all passing it on to someone else in need is just not allowed is it?!!

Please PM me if you know of a better way to handle this (international friends' advice is also most welcome )

I don't want to flush it all down the toilet or just return it to the pharmacy to be destroyed!!!

I'd only like advice please from folk who really know what they're doing with Baclofen - we're all different but even small doses as I started in my case made me collapse.

xxx
    8days -Hi. Thanks for the post. Please reconsider flushing it down the toilet as the first and best option. As you stated, it did not work for you and I don't imagine you want to pass it on to any others. (Baclofen does not work for MANY people -to begin with. But on top of that, if you have a possible bad batch of baclofen, don't pass it on). Just a thought.

Comment

please do not consider flushing it down the toilet. it will be in the watercourse. hand it in to a chemists, dump and run in a big one if you want, they will dispose of it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritfree View Post
        8days -Hi. Thanks for the post. Please reconsider flushing it down the toilet as the first and best option. As you stated, it did not work for you and I don't imagine you want to pass it on to any others. (Baclofen does not work for MANY people -to begin with. But on top of that, if you have a possible bad batch of baclofen, don't pass it on). Just a thought.
        Thanks for the reply Spiritfree!

To clarify - it did/does did work for me I've edited my first post a bit so as not to give that impression hopefully. I'm just someone who had very strong SEs.

It's not a bad batch it's all prescribed and from UK chemists. The reason I've built up extra is because I haven't needed as much for a long time but don't want my prescription dropped just yet as it took so much trouble to get in the first place.

No I definitely would never, ever pass on bad Bac Perhaps I was a little too subtle in my first post but I don't remember what the rules are here...

Last edited by eight days a week; March 3, 2015, 04:33 AM.
        I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

Originally posted by roxane View Post
          please do not consider flushing it down the toilet. it will be in the watercourse. hand it in to a chemists, dump and run in a big one if you want, they will dispose of it properly.
          Very good advice on medicine disposure thanks!

Comment

Found some more that needs either using or I'll have to get rid of it...UK pharmacy Bac but some of it is 'use by' in a few months.

174 views of this thread so far, 2 replies on it other than my own (thank you for those!) and a life-saving medicine potentially going to waste, I don't know what's happened to this forum

Comment

I would love to say send it my way but Australia is on the other side of the world haha.I have been watching though to see whether anyone would pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by eight days a week View Post
                Found some more that needs either using or I'll have to get rid of it...UK pharmacy Bac but some of it is 'use by' in a few months.
                Hi eight days, I remember you from a few years ago when you posted more regularly, nice to see you back. The expiration date on the majority of medication has very little to do with its actual lifespan, and many medicines in pill form can have shelf lives of a decade or more if they are stored properly (in a cool, dry, dark place):

The American Medical Association has questioned whether expiration dating markedly underestimates the actual shelf life of drug products. Results from the shelf life extension program (SLEP) have been evaluated to provide extensive data to address this issue. The SLEP has been administered by the Fo &#8230;

Baclofen formulary describing a shelf life of 3 years (conservative estimate?)

With that in mind, here are a couple of thoughts:

1) Have a look at the What to do if you are running low on (or out of) baclofen page I made, where I recommend that *everyone* who uses baclofen, whether it be by self-medicating with pills online, or through a bona-fide physician, take whatever steps necessary to secure enough baclofen to always have on hand to titrate down safely and comfortably in the event of an emergency.

2) In contrast to France (where over 55,000 people have been prescribed hdb for alcoholism since 2008), baclofen treatment in the UK is much harder to come by - for both doctor-prescribed and self-prescribed users. As such, there have been a number of (recent) pleas for help here from MWO members in the UK who have found themselves in dire straits because they have unexpectedly run out of baclofen. Please consider hanging on to your stockpile and reaching out with a discrete PM if the eventuality arises again - you could really help someone out of a jam someday.

-tk
                TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

A fantastic post on so many levels terryk (remember you too!) - thank you so much

I've just kept the tablets in their original boxes in their blister packs - haven't touched them - so they will definitely have been dry and dark, and being in the UK it never gets that hot!

The links in your post and your sig are very important indeed imo.

I will keep some back for any emergencies. I don't come here much and don't get email notifications of PMs for some reason so have changed my sig to include my email - if people need help in the future anyone please feel free to point them to me and/or this thread to see if I can assist
                  Last edited by eight days a week; March 9, 2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I've found my email notifications of PMs were going to my spam folder for some reason so have marked them as 'not spam' and will hopefully now see in email if I get PMs <edit> I do!, but just in case (again) my email addy is in my sig.

If you write direct please mention who you are on here
                    Last edited by eight days a week; March 14, 2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Oh shit

Been clearing out the cupboards and have found at least 800 x 10mg tablets that are already past their 'use by' date by up to eight months (some as recent as a month or two ago, but...), what a waste
                      Last edited by eight days a week; March 15, 2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I am still keeping a bit back in case I can help with emergencies.

I don't/can't come on here much anymore so if I don't reply to a PM please email me (the address is in my signature at the bottom of every post).
                        Last edited by eight days a week; March 15, 2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Bump for experienced UK disposal experts only (sorry international friends). Good wishes to all
                          Last edited by eight days a week; November 16, 2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X