Hitting the Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the Switch

I write this post for all the other seekers out there, suffering alcoholics like me who caught the trail of baclofen and followed it to My Way Out and others who have taken this medication, often as a last ditch attempt to treat their disease, to find a way out of the anti-life of addiction.

They may, like me, have come across Dr Olivier Amiesen’s illuminating book The End of My Addiction. For me, the only thing as persistent as my drinking over the last tortured decade has been the quest to find a solution, if not a cure. I saw Amiesen’s book a few years ago but flinched from it at the time, reluctant to add yet another ‘Quit Drinking’ tome to my already groaning and quite useless library of recovery books. How I wish I hadn’t passed it by then, for if I had read the revelation contained in that book at the time it would have brought me to this amazing new place so much sooner and saved much misery in the process. Anyway.

Around three months ago, in the depths of alcoholic despair, drinking red wine to oblivion every night while my world collapsed around me –again- I spied the book on Amazon, bought it, absorbed it and threw my lot in with baclofen. I went to ask my GP for it only to be met with a bored “Have you tried AA?” and a detached refusal. So much for the UK medical profession.

I ordered baclofen online and began a careful titration protocol over the next three months, roughly upping the dose by about 15mg every three days. I fought side-effects that ranged from uncomfortable to almost debilitating, as well as a creeping pessimism that the fabled switch or indifference was too much to hope for.

After about two months (when I reached 140mg) into my protocol things started to change in subtle yet tangible ways. Where before my drinking would begin on a Tuesday evening and escalate over the course of the next six days until I emerged bloody, bruised and shaking on Monday morning only to pull myself together and then begin again, the baclofen started to help me stave off drinking in the week. I caught myself at odd moments forgetting all about alcohol. It was a very new, very intriguing and quietly exciting sensation. But the weekend benders continued apace.

And then, about three weeks ago, something really strange happened. I was braced for another dark weekend, another binge. But it didn’t happen. I glided through it with barely a twinge, hardly any craving. I thought about booze but only in a very abstract way. If I felt odd it was because I felt that I should be drinking, but I didn’t want to. Instead I started using the time to put my life back together, to clean away all the debris around me after six months of heavy drinking and isolation. I cleaned my house, washed my car and began to put my affairs back in order.

This new ease and ‘lightness of being’ continued into the week as I felt my addicted voice diminish more and more until it was barely a whisper. By the next weekend, which I sailed through completely, effortlessly sober, I knew that a profound change had come over me. I wanted to post about it here but told myself to hang on a week or two, just to know that this ‘change’ was real. So I held back.

But here I am three weeks sober and I can say with pride and profound relief that I have absolutely, irrefutably hit my switch. I am indifferent to alcohol.

Everything that I’d dared to hope baclofen would do for me has transpired. It hasn’t just got me ‘clean and sober’. Baclofen has erased the addict in me. The last three weeks have been like emerging from prison after a ten year-stretch. I’m blinking in the light, seeing the world in a whole new way, feeling again what life is like without carrying around a demonic 800 pound gorilla. The positive aspects of my character that have been submerged and suppressed by alcohol for so long are rushing back to the surface. I find myself caring about myself and other people more. I’m thinking clearer than at any time in years. I’m not afraid of things anymore. I am taking on challenges, seeking new ways to grow and discover. I’m rediscovering what hope feels like again; what hope means beyond merely hoping to get better from the sickness of addiction.

So to the other seekers who might read this, I can tell you that if baclofen can work for you then it is truly a gateway to freedom from addiction.

Phew! Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Hudstar; March 1, 2015, 12:38 PM.

CONGRATULATIONS HUDSTAR! :welldone: I am so happy for you! I remember that wondrous feeling so well. Welcome to the other side!

Comment

What great news, Hudstar. Congrats!!

Comment

Hooray Hudstar - good for you! What a powerful post. Welcome to the club, and welcome back to a life and a future that is once again yours to control.

-tk

p.s. great to see you pop in _serenity_! - hey isn't it four years for you too, 2 weeks ago?
        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Yay for you!!!

I know just what you're talking about. I'm so happy for you.

Comment

Congratulations Hudstar,I am so glad for you.

Comment

Congratulations Hudstar! I am so happy for you. Enjoy your newfound freedom

Comment

HI Hudstar -Absolutely awesome! Sounds like you are one of the ones who were able to follow the protocols described by Ameisen -one by one, step by step, and now you have succeeded in not wanting or needing to drink. Furthermore, you outlasted all of the side effects of Baclofen and can freely share your story of freedom -You are free! (I sure wish that it worked the same way for the majority who try Baclofen and I am certain that you wish the same)

Please keep posting and updating us all on your continued success. Sounds like you deserve to go on a tropical vacation -sun, water, etc. Send us back some pictures. JK. Please enjoy and continue to share the benefits of your new found freedom.
                SF

Comment

Brilliant stuff indeed. It really is bizarre when it first happens, isn't it? Well done for ploughing through the SE's,it can be rough going, especially since you generally have nothing but a few forum posts made by Alcoholics for reassurance!

Watch out for habit kicking back in. The feeling that you are now the boss, and in a way you are, is strong, and it's easy to slip back into destructive habits. It's never as bad as it once was if you do this, but you have discovered an amazing diamond, don't cover it with mud. Unfortunately I speak from experience here!

Part yourself on the back. Vigorously and with passion! It is awesome.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your support. Perhaps an update is in order.

So I've reached the end of my fourth weekend free from alcohol and craving... so let's round it up and call it a month! haha.

One month of the kind of sobriety I never thought I'd experience again. This isn't what 'dry' feels like, or 'abstinence' and certainly nothing like 'white-knuckling'. In fact, baclofen is like the exact opposite of white-knuckling; more like the almost complete absence of anxiety, desire or obsession for alcohol. This shouldn't really be possible, and isn't according to the entrenched thinking of the (UK at least) medical establishment and recovery/addiction industry, but let's hope they catch on and soon. A medical solution to a neurological disorder: So simple when you put it like that... anyway, I ramble.

I can't adequately describe the changes that have happened in me these last few weeks since 'hitting my switch'. Quite simply, the addict-self that has steered my thoughts, emotions and behaviors over the last ten years has suddenly been muted. The process of learning to take control of my life again has been indescribable. It's pure liberation. But wait, it get's better...

I've used this new momentum to do something I thought was almost more impossible than quitting booze. To my amazement I seem to have quit, with almost zero fuss or drama, cigarettes too! Now bare in mind that until a week ago, I was the most degenerate smoker you'll have ever met. I could not go more than 20 minutes without a smoke and would easily burn through a pack/15g a day. Cigs have been my constant, wretched companions for the last twenty years and I love/hate them bitterly.

But a week ago, sat at my desk basking in the quiet satisfaction and inner peace brought on by baclofen and this new sobriety, I looked at the cigarette in my stained fingers, felt my rattling breath wheeze in and out of my lungs and knew I'd had enough of this habit too. I figured that I've been given this golden opportunity to remake my life without the sinister, debilitating crutches of narcotics, booze and cigarettes and I'd be a fool not to go all the way.

The jury's still out on whether baclofen helps with nicotine addiction, of course, but I think I made the conscious effort to channel its influence towards quitting smoking as well, even if it's just a placebo, if that makes sense. It seems to be working. I have found e-cigarettes immensely helpful too, so I should confess that I'm hardly nicotine free, but stopping the ritual of smoking tobacco is a pretty serious slice of fried awesome for me - haha!

One final disclaimer and a sort-of response to Bleep's sage advice: I'm all too aware, like most of us, how hubris and complacency can be the enemy of recovery. I'm also well-versed in the 'pink-cloud' experience of early sobriety, although this feels very different entirely; far more lucid and grounded. And real. These are early days, and I know I must temper some of this euphoric freedom with a healthy side-order of caution and vigilance. I am keeping all thoughts of moderate drinking to another time in the future, and will probably post about it later. But right now, all that matters is that I have finally won freedom from my old addict mindset and I'm thoroughly, unapologetically enjoying it.

Peace and thanks for reading.

Hud
                    Last edited by Hudstar; March 8, 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Hudstar -thanks for the awesome update. Your post(s) should offer both hope and optimism to those suffering from 'the' disease. Baclofen can be a true answer for some -including me. But, for people like me, it took more than just a medication. I had to resolve past issues that were imprinted in my brain -not related to alcohol. The past revolving doors of cyclical negative thinking needed something -something other than Baclofen. Baclofen had certainly helped to calm the speed at which those doors opened/closed -but it just was not end-all solution. But Baclofen was the greatest answer that I had ever come across.

For those that struggle with Baclofen -side effects and otherwise, please hold on. There are newer medications coming on board that will be as good, if not better, than baclofen. In the meantime, it might be helpful to work on those areas in your life that offer you challenges. There remains to be a one pill solution to afford people a new life -just because they stop drinking. I am quite sure that most will agree with this statement.

SF

Comment

Awesome just awesome Hudstar!
                        It is truly a beautiful thing,and to have thrown away the cigarettes too even for e-cigs is great.I am thinking that e-cigs might be the next move for me,Spiritfree's post about the positive aspects of nicotine would lead me to believe that having some nicotine in your system isn't such a bad thing either.
                        Thanks for the update and revel in your new found freedom.
                        Cheers Stevo.

Comment

[Forgot to mention, as it's important for this forum, that I am now taking around 125mg in four doses over the course of a day. That's down from 150mg, but I take about 20mg extra over friday and the weekend - the 'vulnerable' days]

Comment

Congratulations on quitting the cigarettes, too, Hudstar! And who really cares if it's a placebo effect or not? As you said you're channeling the positive energy of bac, and the changes it's helped you make in your life, to improve even more. That's awesome!

Comment

Hud,

What a great description: "quiet satisfaction and inner peace". I felt something similar and how wonderful it was. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X