Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience with Dr. Willenbring's clinic via phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience with Dr. Willenbring's clinic via phone?

Just curious. Sounds pricey online at his website. I have little doubt the will script you after you pay the initiation fee and meet their "terms". I emailed him and that was what I got back more or less.

For those with background, it does not sound like any Dr. Levin deal where he will work with what you have to work with. It's a business and a recovery center also. However, they will absolutely work with you over the phone at least from what I read and the Dr. relayed back to me.

For me, not really excited about going back on baclofen right now, at least not on a megadose. May rather try Naltrexone again to give me some assurance.

Love to hear others' experiences. Google the name if you want his website and/or news articles.

Hi Cos, nice to see you back on the forum, though I'm sorry it's due to difficult circumstances for you. I spoke to Dr. Willenbring on the phone and traded a few emails with him about 2 years ago after he left his position as Director of the Division of Treatment and Recovery Research of the NIAAA to start Alltyr. He was very gracious in talking to me about his medication prescribing practices and Baclofen in particular. I'd imagine that you would still be required to have at least one face-to-face examination, as prescribing medication in the USA without one is not legal. Hope this helps and good luck. -tk
    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Hey! Good to hear from you. Great info. One face to face, well I guess we are at the time of year to go to MN. Actually not that far from me. Quick flight.

Nice to be back though as you said not for perfect reasons but I'll get by.

Take care,
      Cos

Originally posted by terryk View Post
      Hi Cos, nice to see you back on the forum, though I'm sorry it's due to difficult circumstances for you. I spoke to Dr. Willenbring on the phone and traded a few emails with him about 2 years ago after he left his position as Director of the Division of Treatment and Recovery Research of the NIAAA to start Alltyr. He was very gracious in talking to me about his medication prescribing practices and Baclofen in particular. I'd imagine that you would still be required to have at least one face-to-face examination, as prescribing medication in the USA without one is not legal. Hope this helps and good luck. -tk

Comment

Originally posted by COSGringo View Post
        One face to face, well I guess we are at the time of year to go to MN. Actually not that far from me. Quick flight.
        I'm not at all sure what the specifics are.... but if you are near the Midwest you might also want to send a PM to _serenity_ who had this to report a while back:

Originally posted by _serenity_ View Post
        For people in the midwest USA: For the last year, I've been seeing a doctor in downtown Chicago who prescribes high-dose baclofen. He is a colleague of Dr L. You have to see him in person. so that can be an issue if you're not close to Chicago (I am). Message me for details if you are interested in meeting with him. I also have had some info on doctors in Lincoln NE and Omaha NE who possibly prescribe baclofen, but I have not been able to confirm this.
        -tk
        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Many thanks. In CO so the midwest is right here more or less. I have business fly miles from my previous life (career) so it's an option.

Originally posted by terryk View Post
          I'm not at all sure what the specifics are.... but if you are near the Midwest you might also want to send a PM to _serenity_ who had this to report a while back:

-tk

Comment

Hey CosG -good to see your post. I thought that it was interesting that Dr. Mark Willenbring, made a comment in an article that I recently created a thread about.

Here is his quote:

"AA truisms have so infiltrated our culture that many people believe heavy drinkers cannot recover before they “hit bottom.” Researchers I’ve talked with say that’s akin to offering antidepressants only to those who have attempted suicide, or prescribing insulin only after a patient has lapsed into a diabetic coma. “You might as well tell a guy who weighs 250 pounds and has untreated hypertension and cholesterol of 300, ‘Don’t exercise, keep eating fast food, and we’ll give you a triple bypass when you have a heart attack,’ ” Mark Willenbring, a psychiatrist in St. Paul and a former director of treatment and recovery research at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, told me. He threw up his hands. “Absurd.”

Comment

Working...
            X